Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Whole Pork Leg - What to do with it?

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Need A Life
Thrifty Foods has whole pork legs for $1 per pound.

After no luck this hunting season I'm going to get a few to fill the freezer, trying to figure out the best things to do with them, so I can decide how to best butcher and portion them (i'll probably get 2-3, they're 20-25 bucks a pop).

Strips for stir frying (or later turning into sausage) is my go-to. I have access to a bradley digital - brine and ham them or..?

What would bigshots do?

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Buy 1/2 dozen.
Separate muscle structures as per dissecting a deer.
Have the trimmed sirloins made into hams.
Strip the rest, and make sausages of several varieties.

Cheers,
Nog

Dru

This IS My Life
yes..... sharpen your knife and let rip!

just like Matt said.. Separate the muscles and make steak or ham or what not... it takes a bit to get used to but this is the perfect venue for that...

Backup plan...
We bbq pork chunks allll the time... 1" cubes of pork Dry rubbed and BBQ'd in a weber bbq basket ok cooked on a shishkabob stick...
why I am telling you this is you will wind up with a lot of chunk meat ... just wrap it and do this to it... it doesn't all have to go to burger... Sometimes Trim is the Piece du resistance...

Thread starter #4

stevo911

Need A Life
yes..... sharpen your knife and let rip!

just like Matt said.. Separate the muscles and make steak or ham or what not... it takes a bit to get used to but this is the perfect venue for that...

Backup plan...
We bbq pork chunks allll the time... 1" cubes of pork Dry rubbed and BBQ'd in a weber bbq basket ok cooked on a shishkabob stick...
why I am telling you this is you will wind up with a lot of chunk meat ... just wrap it and do this to it... it doesn't all have to go to burger... Sometimes Trim is the Piece du resistance...
Fair enough. I wish we were allowed a decent BBQ in out building. Electric only is a bummer.

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Seam out the major muscles - top round, bottom round, and sirloin.

It's all tender, so you are only limited by your imagination....

• stir-fry strips is a good start.
  • some thinly sliced "steaks" for schnitzel
  • stuff and roll the thin steaks
  • or pound them out for flouring and frying as cutlets,
  • cubes for sweet and sour is always good,
  • save a piece for a roast pork with crackling
  • the whole hock - usually a tough muscle - skin it out, cover with s&p, some onion slices, a bit of sage, thyme, and parsley - wrap each in foil wrap and slow roast (300 degrees) for a couple of hours... you will be amazed at how tender and juicy they will be

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Dammit Old Frozen One! :Black Eye:

The Lady has to work late tonight, so Din-Din is going to be late.

And now you have me drooling all over the bloody keyboard! :hopelessness:

TORTURE I say!! :disgust:

Cheers,
Nog

Thread starter #7

stevo911

Need A Life
Seam out the major muscles - top round, bottom round, and sirloin.

It's all tender, so you are only limited by your imagination....

• stir-fry strips is a good start.
  • some thinly sliced "steaks" for schnitzel
  • stuff and roll the thin steaks
  • or pound them out for flouring and frying as cutlets,
  • cubes for sweet and sour is always good,
  • save a piece for a roast pork with crackling
  • the whole hock - usually a tough muscle - skin it out, cover with s&p, some onion slices, a bit of sage, thyme, and parsley - wrap each in foil wrap and slow roast (300 degrees) for a couple of hours... you will be amazed at how tender and juicy they will be
well I think Dan wins this thread, I might have to buy one or five tomorrow! I've only ever done two of the things on that list, and four of them I've never had. Time to diversify!

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
hehehehehehe....

If you skin the leg - save the skin and clean all the fat from it. Cut it into about 2" or 3" wide strips and then cut the strips into about 3" pieces. Boil them in lightly salted water until soft and fork tender. You may have to change the water.

Dry the pieces well and then either freeze them for later OR, when they are good and dry, pop them into some hot oil (deep fry them) and watch what happens..... Instant puffed up pork rinds like the kind that you buy in the store.

Season them as soon as yo take them out of the oil..... salt and pepper, or garlic salt, or whatever flavor you choose.

Thread starter #11

stevo911

Need A Life
Also make some dog treats out of the skin.
I don't think I can bring myself to do it when it's a trade off for chicharrón/scratchings/crackle :D
Fortunately I don't have to feel too guilty, Arya doesn't do well on pork protein, she's a venison/duck/lamb kind of dog.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom