Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Who here debones fish ?

Thread starter #1

Fear No Deer

Former Member
Even year we cook a few salmon whole and stuffed and I alway like to take the time to debone them and leave them whole, my company and I always love it when there are no bones to be found, any of you guys take the time to do this ? I also debone all the fillets to me it just seems to taste better.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I absolutely dislike the small secondary bones in fish so we always de-bone them
after filleting, with exception...when camping and eating small pan-sized trout I'll
remove the backbone after cooking and pick the little ones out from each forkful.

Filet the fish to remove the spine and ribs and then prep depending on what we do.

If vac sealing and freezing, leave the side bones in. Bones are easier to remove when the flesh is semi frozen.

If smoking, I leave the bones in most of the time and give warning to eaters....

All other methods are bone removed.

Mike the easiest way for me is to use a little tool for removing strawberry centres. They are like short fat tweezers that allows you to grasp the bone and pull it out. Pretty simple and no wasted fish!!!

Cheers

SS

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
I've been known to eat my Sardines Whole.... Eye Balls and all...:hopelessness:

Needle Nose for the rest... Depending on who I'm trying to impress..

Last edited:

mastercaster

This IS My Life
My wife usually does it actually, and she uses a small thin curved pair of needle nose plyers.
That would be the way I'd do it, as well, but boy, you have to be pretty special company to have it done. The majority of the time I just let people know they're there. because the fish are quite large, even the trout, it's pretty easy to pick them out. That being said, if I knew someone was going to get up in arms about it, I'd just serve them the tail section which has no pin bones. Problem solved.

As my father once told me when serving fish, "There's nothing like a good piece of tail!"

Big Lew

This IS My Life
That would be the way I'd do it, as well, but boy, you have to be pretty special company to have it done. The majority of the time I just let people know they're there. because the fish are quite large, even the trout, it's pretty easy to pick them out. That being said, if I knew someone was going to get up in arms about it, I'd just serve them the tail section which has no pin bones. Problem solved.

As my father once told me when serving fish, "There's nothing like a good piece of tail!"
Around my relatives and friends, it usually is a pecking order, so to speak.
The person catching the fish gets the tail section if the small bones aren't pulled.
If it's big enough for more than 2, then straws are drawn for the other sections.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Around my relatives and friends, it usually is a pecking order, so to speak.
The person catching the fish gets the tail section if the small bones aren't pulled.
If it's big enough for more than 2, then straws are drawn for the other sections.
For the mother in law don't you automatically give her the piece you SAID you took all the bones out of,,,,,,but really didn't??
:devilish:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
For the mother in law don't you automatically give her the piece you SAID you took all the bones out of,,,,,,but really didn't??
:devilish:
Ho Ho Ho! That girl raised 13 kids so there's no way anyone could pull the wool over her eyes,
and after knowing all those kids I'll bet there isn't anything she hasn't seen or had tried on her before.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Ho Ho Ho! That girl raised 13 kids so there's no way anyone could pull the wool over her eyes,
and after knowing all those kids I'll bet there isn't anything she hasn't seen or had tried on her before.
Now, don't you just hate that! So much for an April Fools joke, eh? :highly_amused::biggrin-new:

Dru

This IS My Life
ok... Chris im confused...... now ..
i fillet salmon and some times pull out the pin bones as well..... is that what you are talking about? if not .... how the hell do you debone a fish whole?! cuz when i fillet them they are no longer whole....
what u talkin bout willis?

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
BB fillets the fish then I use tweezers to get the rest of the bones.......if I get a bone in my mouth then I'm done :hopelessness:....now I know some of you guys are going to take that comment the wrong way, I was going to re word it but what the heck!

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
In general, there is a lack of scientific documentation of nutritional value of marine by-products. The bone fraction from fish has been regarded as waste. Due to the high mineral content of fish bones, this material can be well suitable as a natural calcium source. In the present study, apparent calcium absorption of different fish bone sources was tested using growing pigs. The experimental diets consisted of boiled salmon frames, or salmon, saithe or cod bones treated with enzymes. Calcium carbonate (CaCO(3)) was used as control. The experimental diets were formulated to contain 0.7% total calcium of which the added calcium source to be tested contributed about 71% (study 1) and 86% (study 2). Except for the calcium and phosphorus sources, the animals received similar basal diets. Apparent calcium digestibility coefficient was calculated using yttrium as indicator (both studies) and was based on complete collection of faeces and urine (study 2). The experimental design was parallel and cross-over in study 1 and study 2, respectively. In study 1, piglets getting salmon bone treated with enzymes had significantly higher calcium absorption than piglets getting boiled fish bone or calcium carbonate. Therefore, in the second study only enzymatically treated fish bones were included. The higher calcium absorption from enzymatically treated salmon bone was also found in study 2, but this time not significant. Calcium from boiled salmon bones in study I, and from enzymatically treated saithe and cod bones in study II were absorbed as well as the calcium carbonate control. The results indicate that fish bones may be a useful and well absorbed calcium source. Due to the high mineral content of the bone fraction, salmon bones can be well suitable as a natural calcium and phosphorus source in, for example, food, feed or as supplement.

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
I'm a little paranoid about fish bones ..
I had one stuck in my Tonsil area years ago that caused me much pain and limited my eating..
After about three days I decided to seek medical help..
Upon inspection my Dr. determined I had tonsillitis ..No bone present ..
Sent me for a blood test and was going to arrange to remove them..
The big guy that I am.. Went to the clinic down the stairs and sat waiting my turn for a booth..
Hearing a couple of kids crying about the needles I decided I'd maybe come back the next few days..Maybe !!!
Gargled the heck out my throat that night made a big difference .. Never returned for the procedure..: :

Yea .. My nickname is "Gutless" when it comes to Needles !!!

Last edited:

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
I had a Fish Bone removed from my throat at the hospital when i was 7, I can tell you it aint No Fun. Getting the tonsils out as a youngster was Great, LOTS of Jello and Ice Cream. Needles aren't my favorite thing either but Ice Cream and Jello at a young age outweighs the fear of them.....:Oh Yeah!:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Far too easy MG, far too easy, lol!

I've always wondered about the animals like bears, raccoons, mink, and the coast wolves
that eat fish....do they also suffer from bones lodged in their throats etc?

Thread starter #21

Fear No Deer

Former Member
i fillet salmon and some times pull out the pin bones as well..... is that what you are talking about? if not .... how the hell do you debone a fish whole?! cuz when i fillet them they are no longer whole....
Ahhh yes grasshopper debone a whole fish and leave it in one piece when you can do this you are ready to leave, but not until you buy me a beer at least :Yee Ha:

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
Bev, those boys are in their 40's now........That was a while ago. One thing I do love eating is Smoked Salmon. There aint Nothing Better...And I Mean NOTHING.......:Oh Yeah!:
Haha, it was the first pic that I found, and yes, smoked fish is sooooo good, especially when its still warm out of the smoker.

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
Haha, it was the first pic that I found, and yes, smoked fish is sooooo good, especially when its still warm out of the smoker.
I always use to stop in Blaine WA, on the way to Burnaby/Vancouver to get my Smoked Fish Fix. It was expensive as hell and it was SOOOO GOOOD . It was packaged and not fresh by any means but it was the best I could do

Thread starter #30

Fear No Deer

Former Member

Okay what I do is split the fish all the way down the middle then cut through the rib bones then remove them, then I cut out the back bone carefully and then just get out the tweezers and remove the rest, it looks like two fillets but the skin still keeps it together.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom