Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

WHERE'S THE BEEF?!?

Thread starter #1

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
It's now well into the official barbecuing season (I do realize that some q all year round) so I thought that we needed to see the kinds of things you guys are cooking on your grills.

Tonight it was some local beef steaks - NY striploin to be precise. Mine is medium rare and Dearest E's is rare. Toss together a bowl of Bunny Food and we have an instant success............ I squirted a glass of Cab/Sauv from a 4L box to help me wash things down.... Peller Estates - pretty tasty for a "less expensive" tipple.

20180528_182013_HDR.jpg

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
We bought some sirloin tip from the states last time we were down there, never having bought US meat before we were unsure of what it was going to be like. It was cut about an inch thick and it was the tenderest, juiciest beef we have ever had....should have bought more :Oh Yeah!:

Thread starter #7

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Well - it might not be beef, but it is definitely getting the Bar-B-Que treatment tonight.

A couple of inch-thick rib end pork chops, otherwise known as Lil' Abners......

20180529_182305_HDR.jpg

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I use the barby at least 3 times per week year round. Haven't had beef for years but I sure do a lot of deer steaks and since ice off been I've been having barbecued trout once or twice a week

IMGP1468.JPG

I cook my deer steaks 3 minutes a side. That's too well done for some of my family members. This is the way my daughter and son in law like their beef steaks. LOL

IMG_1215.jpg

Thread starter #12

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Pictures are mandatory - but it doesn't necessarily have to be beef all the time. We eat beef about once or twice per month these days - mostly it's either pork, chicken, ground turkey, or fish.

But.... while the mosquitoes are still sleeping.... I plan on getting everything I can from the Bar-B. Soon I won't be able to use the decks for fear of getting eaten alive.

Leaseman

I've Been REALLY Bad - I apologize to everyone.
Year round our average is 4-5 days a week....the last while been running 7 days.

Last night with granddaughter over (and her parents!) we did corn, pork ribs (spicy and regular) and pounded chicken breasts (spicy and mild) with boiled new potatoes

Tonight will be beef, asparagus and zucinni all on BBQ

This time of year the kitchen turns into prep area with the BBQ doing 90% of the cooking

I sure do like the flavor more of corn, peeled and on the Q!

Thread starter #17

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Tonight is a nice big 5-bone rack of beef ribs cut from a big prime rib that I got when it was on sale for a ridiculous price. Lightly seasoned and slo-cooking as I type.

Leaseman

Tonight is a nice big 5-bone rack of beef ribs cut from a big prime rib that I got when it was on sale for a ridiculous price. Lightly seasoned and slo-cooking as I type.
So how are you cooking it? Wrapped? Smoked? Low and slow?

Rubbed or naked?

Thread starter #19

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Made up a rub using seasoning salt, dried herbs, crushed garlic, and some sesame oil. Then laid some cut vidalia onion down and laid the ribs on that. Then did the same to the other side and wrapped the whole thing in foil.

I do have to admit that I put them in the oven slow and low because the mosquitoes are so bad outside right now. :hopelessness:

Thread starter #20

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Oh, I forgot.... after a couple hours or so in the oven I will be brushing on a homemade barbeque sauce and roasting them uncovered for another hour....

Thread starter #21

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Tonight was the boneless rib-eye roast from those ribs last week...

Cooked in the oven on 500 degrees for 20 minutes and then turned down to 300 degrees for 2 hours. Don't open the oven door!!

Roasted some veggies with the beef and had a nice pleasant Cabernet Sauvignon to accompany.

20180606_190716.jpg

20180606_191754.jpg

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Am I the only one that insists his meat is well cooked?
Brown on the inside, burnt spots on the outside....no red or pink anywhere!

Thread starter #25

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Well done is a dry piece of meat Dave.... needing a gravy or a sauce to help get it down.... :Black Eye:

For me - it is medium rare.:Oh Yeah!:

That means there's still juices in the meat and the color is pink, rather than the red of a rare piece of meat (which is my wife's preferred doneness.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I like my pork sausages burnt as well! Although I tolerate a bit of golden colour, they must
be mostly dark brown and black! I can accept a lighter colouring if they're done 'butterfly'
Sausages made of beef or venison I like not quite so well done though.

Leaseman

Am I the only one that insists his meat is well cooked?
Brown on the inside, burnt spots on the outside....no red or pink anywhere!
You are a rare commodity Mr. Dave! :kewl:

Especially if you eat game meat that cooked too!

I was blue rare for many years....now rare or medium rare, doesn't really matter depending on the cut of meat!!

Thread starter #34

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Commercially made sausages are way too fatty for me to eat and digest. Commercial sausages also contain a lot of water - think about that..... they are selling water to you at over $4.00 per pound! I'm talking like the ones you buy in food stores.

The biggest reason for getting into making your own sausages - you can control what goes into them. You alone control the amount of salt, the amount of fat, the amount of water, and the amount of seasonings - not to mention the quality of meat.

Making your own sausage is not an expensive venture. Who says that you need a stuffer, or all those casings? Mix the sausage in a large bowl and just make patties with it - or hand made links without casings. Sausage casings are often times tough and hard to digest anyway.... who needs them?

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Was up at the cabin a few days this past week and one of the guy brought some beef steaks up. First one I've eaten in well over a decade. Have to say it was pretty damn good! Both of them said that they preferred the WT steaks I brought the week before. As others have stated, if you over cook wild game you may as well be chewing on a piece of a rubber boot.

That last photo that Dan posted is perfect in my eyes! A little horse radish with every second bite and I'm in heaven.

Thread starter #43

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Izzat your grill pan Jim!?!

Looks just about big enough for the two of us..... gone are the days when I could put away a steak like that all by my lonesome....:Black Eye:

Thread starter #46

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Remember Gerard Butler in that movie where he asks for a big steak as his last meal and the proceeds to use the T-bone to kill his dinner partner?

stevo911

Need A Life
Commercially made sausages are way too fatty for me to eat and digest. Commercial sausages also contain a lot of water - think about that..... they are selling water to you at over $4.00 per pound! I'm talking like the ones you buy in food stores.

The biggest reason for getting into making your own sausages - you can control what goes into them. You alone control the amount of salt, the amount of fat, the amount of water, and the amount of seasonings - not to mention the quality of meat.

Making your own sausage is not an expensive venture. Who says that you need a stuffer, or all those casings? Mix the sausage in a large bowl and just make patties with it - or hand made links without casings. Sausage casings are often times tough and hard to digest anyway.... who needs them?
This! It's too easy to make way better sausages with less crap in them, for less money! Personally I like the oldschool cast aluminum hand grinders for small batches. Mine was $5 at a garage sale...

Remember Gerard Butler in that movie where he asks for a big steak as his last meal and the proceeds to use the T-bone to kill his dinner partner?
Law Abiding Citizen

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom