Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Sushi love it or leave it.

Thread starter #1

Fear No Deer

Former Member
Well I for one just love the stuff cannot get enough some days the smoked ell is just fantastic along with all the other seafood, I must admit I am hooked on this stuff so limit myself to no more than once a month. So as the title states Love It or Leave It.

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
I really enjoy sushi. Not very much and not real great around here, lol.
I like Anago, Unagi, Tobeko, Hokaigai, Toro, Taco, Amaebi, Uni, Seafood Sonomono Salad, Sake, and most all kinds of Sashimi.
I also like some specialty rolls. When in Victoria we always go to our restaurant on Government Street. Been going for years, and my family is good friends with the owner. Best Sushi in all the land, IMO.:good on ya:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Come to Maple Ridge we have tons of sushi restaurants.
Yep, it always amazes me how sushi restaurants are almost beside each other in the LML. Here, its a new place in Rossland, or go to Nelson. Not usually too great a selection, but at least I can get a bite of toro now and then.

My wife can make it, including rolls, but getting supplies is difficult to say the least.

Dru

This IS My Life
love it, so does Emma......
She always says "lets go fo sushi!"

I like to try all kinds of Ethnic foods.... except bugs.... lol

BBBnRams

Love it! Prefer nigiri, sashimi, dynamite, California, octopus.

no farmed crap though.

Wish i I had a freezer cold enough to chow down on my own wild fish, but that's asking for a tape worm.

Either the the seaweed or the soya gives me the Shi-s right after, but I continue to chow ER down.

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Leave it. I eat most anything but the 1st time I tried sushi I was not warned that the wasabi, though somewhat similar in looks to Guacamole, should not be consumed in similar volumes. I just about burnt my mouth out and it had turned me off to sushi ever since. Yes, yes, I've had it since but the 1st experience lingers and I'd just as soon leave it as have it.

Thread starter #11

Fear No Deer

Former Member
Funny I asked a freind of mine years ago if he like sushi and he said no, I asked him if he had ever tried it and he said yes so I asked were from and he said Save On, I then siad no you have not tried it took him to a good Sushi restaurant and he has been hooked ever since.

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Love it. Been eating it for decades now. The only thing I can't bring myself to eat is the mackerel. Way too oily for my tastes.

Many, many times I ued to stop in at the Fugiya store on the corner of Clarke Dr. and Venables to pick up Bento boxes for the guys at the plant....

You guys are making me hungry. When I first came out to BC our work grew would go out for lunch once a week and have it. When I switched jobs I would treat myself once a week. You can have a good lunch cheaper and just as fast as going to McDonalds. Not too mention way healthier.

Its a good social meal, one where you can easily sit down and enjoy it in 30mins or less. Or you can take you time chatting and continue ordering more and make a very long dinner out of it.

Finaddict

Love it. Been eating it for decades now. The only thing I can't bring myself to eat is the mackerel. Way too oily for my tastes.

Many, many times I ued to stop in at the Fugiya store on the corner of Clarke Dr. and Venables to pick up Bento boxes for the guys at the plant....
Funny BW, I work at the office right across the street from Fujiya. usually once a week I HAVE to venture over there for a cheap and fresh couple of trays. Not sure how good it is for you with all the salt in the seaweed and soya, and the carbs in the rice, but I have its just too good to resist.

Last edited:

wideopenthrottle

sushi...sushi....I have heard of that stuff...tried it once...took it home, fried it up, it tasted a lot like fish....heheheheheh...my wife hates it when I tell that joke...seriously though, love sushi...it is my 8 year olds favourite take out meal

Thread starter #19

Fear No Deer

Former Member
Really Ali you made that :Hungry: oh my god that looks good, sorry I did forget just how good the food you make looks and do you have a napkin I can borrow to wipe the drool coming out of the corner of my mouth.

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
This little store was three doors down from my Bakery Cafe in Victoria. Needless to say I was soon on a first name basis with the owner....

2872193635_41dc808d9a.jpg

His take-out counters were only about 24 feet long, but they were full to overflowing with product by 11 a.m. and were very soon picked over... although they worked hard at keeping them stocked, the customer count was such that it was an impossible task.

20080919060201_3ffc68391a744365e4543684e81d5f50_1_m.jpg

f-bento.jpg

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
Really Ali you made that :Hungry: oh my god that looks good, sorry I did forget just how good the food you make looks and do you have a napkin I can borrow to wipe the drool coming out of the corner of my mouth.
That looks just awesome Ali!
Thanks y'all

lol Chris..... the more times I make sushi the better my rolls are starting to look.....

stevo911

Need A Life
MMmmm, making me think I haven't been out for some sushi in a long time. Unfortunately the sushi in vic is twice the price for half the quality of the stuff in vancouver & surrounding.

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Steve - go to Fujiya on Shelburne in the 3600 block, right across from Fairways Market in Shelburne Plaza.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by both the quality and the pricing.

Oh - take a carry out bag with you. They charge 5 cents for a plastic bag if you want one for your stuff......

Algorithm

Long-Time Member
Never tried it.... i live with picky eaters! :Doh!: I finally got to try an Indian place in penticton that was fantastic and great value! Its called Lachi if anyone is in the area looking for food. I like to try different foods and Sushi is on my list to try, maybe my next date night.

Leaseman

I've Been REALLY Bad - I apologize to everyone.
Never tried it.... i live with picky eaters! :Doh!: I finally got to try an Indian place in penticton that was fantastic and great value! Its called Lachi if anyone is in the area looking for food. I like to try different foods and Sushi is on my list to try, maybe my next date night.

Never? :HUH?:

As in never ever?? :popcorn:

Quick, someone in the area get this fine gent out for sushi!! :Doh!:

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
I used to like going into the Kamei Sushi place on Kingsway - the one that is upstairs - and sitting at the Robata Bar.

We used to see what was being prepared for others and if it looked good, we'd order it for ourselves.

Went through many a tall flask of sake with our noshing.

Then there is the Ichi Ban Japanese restaurant on Thurlow in downtown Vancouver. It's downstairs from street level - great place to go and eat. :Oh Yeah!:

Last edited:

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
I don't eat bait. CC on the other hand is a whole different story. She even orders in Japanese which gets very interesting as most sushi places here are run by Koreans. Go figure. Lol

stevo911

Need A Life
Steve - go to Fujiya on Shelburne in the 3600 block, right across from Fairways Market in Shelburne Plaza.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by both the quality and the pricing.

Oh - take a carry out bag with you. They charge 5 cents for a plastic bag if you want one for your stuff......
I shall check them out! normally we do sen zushi or ebizo.

Thread starter #31

Fear No Deer

Former Member
I don't eat bait. CC on the other hand is a whole different story. She even orders in Japanese which gets very interesting as most sushi places here are run by Koreans. Go figure. Lol

Most Sushi restraints are run by Koreans and at lot of times there name is part of the business sign.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Funny BW, I work at the office right across the street from Fujiya. usually once a week I HAVE to venture over there for a cheap and fresh couple of trays. Not sure how good it is for you with all the salt in the seaweed and soya, and the carbs in the rice, but I have its just too good to resist.
Yes, the jury is definitely still out when it comes to the pros and cons of how nutritious it is. It has far too many simple carbs,,,,,white rice mixed with sugar and vinegar and a lot of sodium. I used to eat it at least once a week several years back but I've cut way back on it except as a cheat meal once in awhile. Some places now are starting to make it with brown rice and will use sockeye instead of farmed salmon which helps those a lot who are more picky about what they put into their bodies. One thing for certain, though, I wouldn't eat it all all if I couldn't dip it in a mixture of soya sauce and wasabi. That is what I love most about eating it! And if it's a big group at an all you can eat,,,,shooters of warm/hot saki to round things out!

On those rare days I have it now I like to fill my face with dynamite and California rolls; tuna, shrimp, and salmon sushi; and lots of pickled ginger.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom