Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Ssssmoke'n!!

Thread starter #1

Dru

This IS My Life
Well,,, as some of you know i bought Big Bullys and Moosen Grams Bradley...... thank you guys!

I ran a batch of last years Chinook that my wife's friend brought back from work. It looked to be a 20-30lb fish. It was steaked and Chriovaced from St Jeans.
lol,, nice to learn on free Chinook first before trying it out on Sockeye!

quick thanks,,,,, i got MG and BB here are the others Philcott for the recipy and Jeff for how to smoke in a bradley! times and heat, and Newhunterette helped with smoke and canning ,,, which i will do later i just want to get smoke down!

So what i did was ... learned a couple things... one thing i knew..... You cant Brine semi frozen fish lol... i let it brine over night and the realized it wasnt working so i left it for the rest of the day.
Brine was one bag of Demererra sugar and 1-1/8 cups sugar... since it was steaks i put some mix on the bottom of the glass casserole dish.. then steaks and covered compleatly with the rest of the mix.
as stated above since it was semi frozen i let it sit overnight and one day, flipping it over twice.

The evening i took it out and put it on smoker racks upside down and in the fridge not wrapped. this way air can get all around it.. i left it this way untill 9am the next day.
i heated up the smoker and in we went.. 4 racks. Smoke for 3.5 hours and temp was between 120-160... i tryed to hold it at 150... heat was 6 hours.. I flipped the racks once during the smoking and once during the cooking.

What i was left with was good stuff but!! now that i have this unit i can tweek things.... i found this stuff a bit too smokie and not quite sweet enough.. but over all i do like it. The sweet i can atribute to improper brining not so muck the recipy,,, and the over smoke i attribute to lack of experiance which i will have soon enough.

i didnt take pics of the whole process which i will next time... but for now i did take pics of the finnish........ keep in mind i am learning... i do like to cook and i considder myself pertty good at cooking and creating!
so here is round one...

Attachments

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Brine was one bag of Demererra sugar and 1-1/8 cups sugar...
Dru, I do hope this is a typo and you meant 1-1/8 cups "coarse salt".

Fish does need to be thawed before brining.

The amount of smoke is for personal preference so adjust as needed. I always use hickory chips but alder, cherry and apple are also often used for smoking salmon.

- - - Updated - - -

one of the things i will do next time is baste with Maple surup and grate pepper on it.....
Just a note. I love maple syrup but I don't use it much when smoking fish. It might be the combo of maple and hickory but, for me, I don't favour the flavour. Maybe a different wood chip might be better if using maple.

Thread starter #5

Dru

This IS My Life
lol ya,, course salt! oops!

long time ago my buddy used to make the best candy ever.... it was sliced and woven on a tooth pic.... brined in this brine ( i think) then smoked with a chip i dont know... and half way through the smoke he basted it with maple surup and cracked pepper.... it was a hard smoke but man was it good.... i am going to work to that.. but i also dont think there is any one method to smoked fish,, there is a few i like. To limit yourself to one would be ...... limited!

And i forgot to mention, i used hickory pucks.. BB&MG tossed in a box.

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Big chinook can be a challenge to smoke due to the thickness of the filets. I have, from time to time, shaved a slab off to keep the over all thickness to about 1 inch. The piece I cut off I also brined and smoked but always found it to be saltier. Maybe because the brine could get at the whole piece since there was no skin on it.

Great Job Dru!!

A couple hints I have found with big springs;

- remove the skin, that way the brine is absorbed all the way around.
- removing the skin allows the fat to run off on big springs. The fat absorbes the "smoke" flavour, giving the fish a stronger smoke acidic flavor in my opinion.
- I won't smoke more than 2 hours max, but I don't like a strong smoke flavour.
- Instead of maple syrup, try maple syrup sugar and sprinkle it on the fish.
- Take orange zest and add it along with the sugar as a different flavour. It is my wifes favorite flavour.
- document everything you do, that way it is easier to try different things and rate them.

have fun!!!

Cheers

SS

Thread starter #13

Dru

This IS My Life
Im thinking you are right SS.... 2 hours smoke,,, next time i will skin it and compair.... i happen to have a half of a 20lb chinook in the freezer... size is a perfect compairison...... i will do that with a tweek or 2 and then move on to the Sockeye.

And ya Documnet..... lol.... i WILL forget

Thread starter #14

Dru

This IS My Life
Round 2.......

4 sockeye... 3 Bags of Rogers Demmerera 3 cups salt.
Brined for 24hrs.
Dried in fridge on rack for 24 hours.
Cracked pepper corns in a pestle to make'um chunky
Smoked for 2.5 hrs
cooked for a total of 4.5 hrs ( this includes smoke time )
Cooked at 160 deg from start to finnish

next time i will try to show pics of all the steps,,,, but honestly i was doing all the work in a hurry.... i started brine right after work at 5pm... then took them out at 5pm the next day to dry till ..... you guessed it 5 the next day and right into the smoker till just before 10......

What this means is i can do this stuff after work and not have to use up my weekend!
Next up jerky......... stay tuned!

Thanks MG And BB!!!

Attachments

J

Jeff

look tastey ,,great color .....

- - - Updated - - -

and nice to see u kept the brown sugar out ..and no sweet on it .........

Thread starter #18

Dru

This IS My Life
next round of Salmon i am going to s,ear maple syrup on it after the dry time then crush pepper......

This batch is way more Candy like,,,, better brine this time.
oh ya i used Maple pucks .... way better for candy,,,,, coing to find some alder for next time as well

BCROB

Modifier........
Well,,, as some of you know i bought Big Bullys and Moosen Grams Bradley...... thank you guys!

I ran a batch of last years Chinook that my wife's friend brought back from work. It looked to be a 20-30lb fish. It was steaked and Chriovaced from St Jeans.
lol,, nice to learn on free Chinook first before trying it out on Sockeye!

quick thanks,,,,, i got MG and BB here are the others Philcott for the recipy and Jeff for how to smoke in a bradley! times and heat, and Newhunterette helped with smoke and canning ,,, which i will do later i just want to get smoke down!

So what i did was ... learned a couple things... one thing i knew..... You cant Brine semi frozen fish lol... i let it brine over night and the realized it wasnt working so i left it for the rest of the day.
Brine was one bag of Demererra sugar and 1-1/8 cups sugar... since it was steaks i put some mix on the bottom of the glass casserole dish.. then steaks and covered compleatly with the rest of the mix.
as stated above since it was semi frozen i let it sit overnight and one day, flipping it over twice.

The evening i took it out and put it on smoker racks upside down and in the fridge not wrapped. this way air can get all around it.. i left it this way untill 9am the next day.
i heated up the smoker and in we went.. 4 racks. Smoke for 3.5 hours and temp was between 120-160... i tryed to hold it at 150... heat was 6 hours.. I flipped the racks once during the smoking and once during the cooking.

What i was left with was good stuff but!! now that i have this unit i can tweek things.... i found this stuff a bit too smokie and not quite sweet enough.. but over all i do like it. The sweet i can atribute to improper brining not so muck the recipy,,, and the over smoke i attribute to lack of experiance which i will have soon enough.

i didnt take pics of the whole process which i will next time... but for now i did take pics of the finnish........ keep in mind i am learning... i do like to cook and i considder myself pertty good at cooking and creating!
so here is round one...

Dru can you throw in a slab of chinook with those antlers !! small wink

J

Jeff

next round of Salmon i am going to s,ear maple syrup on it after the dry time then crush pepper......

This batch is way more Candy like,,,, better brine this time.
oh ya i used Maple pucks .... way better for candy,,,,, coing to find some alder for next time as well
NOOOOO ....not syrup ......jk ...if thats the way u like it ....i just cant stand any sweet on meat ,...im a pepper, garlic guy ...with different spices ...but defenetly no sugar ,syrup or sauces of any kind

Thread starter #26

Dru

This IS My Life
i did ,,,, Matts recipy involves way more time then i got! one day when i get time..... a friend of mine and Matts does some wicked stuff..... never did ask him how he did it... but i suspect it is how Knog does it!

philcott

Mucho Gusto
it works well... this time around it is way more candy then the last......
If you keep the brine times the same when doing thinner fish (like fillets) it will candy more. Also if you take the skin off it will candy more.

I have yet to meet a piece of smoked salmon done with that recipe I have not liked.

Thread starter #29

Dru

This IS My Life
y a i know... if it is as i suspect like my buddies...... we used to eat it by the big ziplock load when we were fishing! i remember Big D telling me how he did it... but that recipy of Matts that you are refering to is way more in depth... i need to get a fridge for my garage so i can do that recipy..... and more curing

- - - Updated - - -

Phil,

this go round i did have it skinned both sides.... and that will be how its done forever! Dad was fighting it but i think he might have seen the light!
i cant wait till he starts winter spring fishing...!

Im not sure if he has posted it on this site ,but its worth a look at ,ive tried a couple & is awesome stuff,Should,nt need a fridge just a good cool spot will work,drying time with a fan is a must ,your last batch looked realy good tho ,practice makes perfect

Thread starter #31

Dru

This IS My Life
the fridge is for the Brining,,, and future curing prodjects,,, hams and bacon etc...... fans i got... maybe i need toi build a bench in the garage! lol.
he posted a link once to BCSF i think it was.....

Thread starter #36

Dru

This IS My Life
OOOOHHHHHH man,,, we hit it this last Friday....
Best thing going.

Dad is back at the Winterspring game so we needed to think of something to do with last years fish before it goes south. I have a bunch of Smoked Sockeye in the freezer,,, well some lol. used to be a bunch!
Wife has been cruzing through the canned fish.... so what do you do?

Smoke can sockeye!

Brine 24 hours 1 bag demmererra sugar and one cup coarse salt...... rotate fish a few times

Dry on rack for a few hours. We were a little Grey on the brine time and dry time dad did it while iu was at work so i cant quote hours....
Smoke in Bradley with no heat for 2 hours using maple pucks ( 6 pucks for 2 hours ) pucks come in 40pk for 20$

Here is after 11lbs pressure for 100 minutes....

This blows away anything i have dont thus far,,,,, i dunno what the canning does but wholly hell..... is it ever good!
I know have been saying Jerkey is next but Dad is bringing home fresh 5-10lb Winters regular,, so our fresh eating is fresh... gotta get some preserving done!
Jerkey is next!

lol

Attachments

Thread starter #38

Dru

This IS My Life
you should Phil,,,,,
just make sure to not use heat. i cant remmebr if i said that ... I only cold smoked it... no heat ... this way it remains most.
the texture is "Normal" smoked salmon ish... but wow,,,, the flavour is way better... i actually said "I dont know why you would do it any other way!"
The over all time is about the same as smoking to full term in the smoker...

Just remember,,,, Brine and dry like normal.... 2 hour smoke with no heat and can......

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Ahhhhh so not full time smoked. Just to add the flavour. I learn something new everyday.

That's why I never did it. 8 hours in the smoker and I'm not looking at another three hours processing in the canner. I need to come up with a fish to try now.

Thread starter #40

Dru

This IS My Life
ya,,, no i was done at 10pm started at 5.. i just jammed the fish in the smoker... cooked dinnef for the dinner party i was having.... ate,, it cleaned up...... and then loaded the jars! sat and had a beer ( wine for the girls ) and whalla!!

Thread starter #43

Dru

This IS My Life
Workin' on it Bev! i really cant wait till Jerkey... i dont now why,,,, we used to make it when i was a kid!
then i am going to Brine and smoke some Chicken Brest and freeze for lunch meat...
And ribs..... mmmm ....

Thread starter #45

Dru

This IS My Life
This spring i am going to put in some real effort to wack a spring bear just so i can "play" with it making sausages....
you guys use mountain house German sausage spice right? or doe you do your own?

Thread starter #47

Dru

This IS My Life
Right,,, thats what i meant! Mountain house does dehidrated food not seasoning pacs!
That bit of German sausage you guys gave us was awesome....

Thread starter #49

Dru

This IS My Life
i will...
Do you guys follow the instructions to the letter on the box? or have you modifyed it at all?

Dad and i did some Breakfast sausage... it seemed a bit intense but dad might have mucked up the ratios.

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
Ya, we have modified it a bit, 14 pounds of pork, 6 pounds of pork fat, 10 pounds of meat and 12oz of milk powder. You can add more garlic or any spice to it but remember, more is not always better. Personally we don't care for any breakfast sausage that we've tried, there is a spice in there that we find over powering so we quit making them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom