Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Southern B.C. Thread Part Quatre

Thread starter #1

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
So if you are getting sick of all this, I completely understand. For those who are still with me, I will make this the last part. Hopefully in a month or so I can follow up with what we all love to read, which is a good and successful hunting trip.

Ok so back to the tour......

We were told by a good buddy in Calgary, if you wanted to go to a great spot , try Spray lakes provincial park just South of Canmore. In B.C. I am not really a big fan of Provincial park campsites as they are far too sterile and controlled, but this campsite is more akin to the old M.O.F. campsites with very little administration and just a couple of checkups by the park warden to ensure no one is turning the campsite into a garbage dump.

Spray lake valley is a glacial "Hanging Valley" so the climb up is a bit steep but short. On the way up, we encountered a few young rams and ewes;
boghorn near Canmore.jpg

Our campsite was huge. Big enough for several vehicles (but restricted to 2 per site).

Spray lakes campsite.jpg

And we gained a pet for a couple days. This young buck had no fear of us at all and came by to check us out. I think he was a "park" deer who had never felt threatened by humans.

spray lake pet 2.jpg

We really enjoyed out time here, had the campsite at the far south end of the park and really felt like we were the only ones on the lake. The views (finally) were spectacular.

Spray lake mountains.jpg

Spray lake mountains 4.jpg

Spray lake mountains 5.jpg

Spray lake mountains 3.jpg

The rest of the trip was rather uneventful as we slowly made our way South to Fernie. Kootenay National park highway was open, but the rest of the park was shut down due to fires everywhere, so any pics we have of that are just so smokey they weren't worth posting. From Fernie we plowed through the smoke to Nelson. I have never seen Nelson so deserted in the middle of summer. I am sure the entire B.C. interior tourism numbers had to down by at least 30%.

The smoke intensified as we made our way to Sorrento to meet up with more old friends. Here is the ferry to Shelter Bay on Highway 23 crossing the Upper Arrow lake;

lake ferry.jpg

We had a great time at White lake despite the smoke which at times was so bad it hurt our eyes.

White lake campsite.jpg

The smoke finally got to us and we decided to cut the trip short and get back to the Island where ( hopefully) the smoke was much less. After 3950 km's we were once again at our new residence and back on Island time. We did have a couple of days of smoke there as well, but finally we were able to see the sunrise again.........

Cedar sunrise.jpg

If you made it this far, I am surprised. but thanks for coming along for the ride :-)

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
So if you are getting sick of all this, I completely understand. For those who are still with me, I will make this the last part. Hopefully in a month or so I can follow up with what we all love to read, which is a good and successful hunting trip.

Ok so back to the tour......

We were told by a good buddy in Calgary, if you wanted to go to a great spot , try Spray lakes provincial park just South of Canmore. In B.C. I am not really a big fan of Provincial park campsites as they are far too sterile and controlled, but this campsite is more akin to the old M.O.F. campsites with very little administration and just a couple of checkups by the park warden to ensure no one is turning the campsite into a garbage dump.

Spray lake valley is a glacial "Hanging Valley" so the climb up is a bit steep but short. On the way up, we encountered a few young rams and ewes;
View attachment 15900

Our campsite was huge. Big enough for several vehicles (but restricted to 2 per site).

View attachment 15899

And we gained a pet for a couple days. This young buck had no fear of us at all and came by to check us out. I think he was a "park" deer who had never felt threatened by humans.

View attachment 15898

We really enjoyed out time here, had the campsite at the far south end of the park and really felt like we were the only ones on the lake. The views (finally) were spectacular.

View attachment 15897

View attachment 15895

View attachment 15894

View attachment 15896

The rest of the trip was rather uneventful as we slowly made our way South to Fernie. Kootenay National park highway was open, but the rest of the park was shut down due to fires everywhere, so any pics we have of that are just so smokey they weren't worth posting. From Fernie we plowed through the smoke to Nelson. I have never seen Nelson so deserted in the middle of summer. I am sure the entire B.C. interior tourism numbers had to down by at least 30%.

The smoke intensified as we made our way to Sorrento to meet up with more old friends. Here is the ferry to SHewlter Bay on Highway 23 crossing the Upper Arrow lake;

View attachment 15893

We had a great time at White lake despite the smoke which at times was so bad it hurt our eyes.

View attachment 15892

The smoke finally got to us and we decided to cut the trip short and get back to the Island where ( Hopefully) the smoke was much less. After 3950 km's we were once again at our new residence and back on Island time. We did have a couple of days of smoke there as well, but finally we were able to see the sunrise again.........

View attachment 15901

If you made it this far, I am surprised. but thanks for coming along for the ride :-)
I thoroughly enjoyed following you on your adventure, thanks for bringing us along

Piperdown

Great pictures BC is a land of wonder, oh and little pieces of Alberta too :highly_amused: We just got back from a trip to the east coast it was beautiful but i still think BC is the best, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom