Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Smokie or Similar recipes? (deer/bear/pork)

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Need A Life
What are your guys' fave recipes? I have access to a bradley digital.

We've been rationing our venison and bear pretty hard all year, and upon rotating/moving stuff in our deep freeze I found 8lbs of bear, 14 of venison (8 of which will be jerky by the end of tonight), which we hadn't accounted for and some odds and ends of pork fat. Seems like the prudent thing would be to get my sausage on ASAP.

I was thinking of just doing a batch of smokies (some jalapeno cheddar maybe?) and some smoked italian or something (I have a great Italian recipe somehwere), but the second type I'm not sure what to make... We're kind of Boerworsed out at the moment which is our other go-to.

Thread starter #2

stevo911

Need A Life
My dad sent me a recipe for a sausage he had while in Egypt recently (muslim country so red meat sausages instead of pork) If I can find some Harissa i might give this a go:

4 pounds fatty venison
1/2 pound venison fat
1/2 pound pork fatback
34 grams kosher salt
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander seed
1/4 cup harissa
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
Sheep casings

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Harissa should be in the ethnic aisle at Thrifty's or for sure it will be in Fairways.

It's a bit spicy itself so you may want to taste it before adding it to your recipe.

It is a great seasoning BTW.

Thread starter #4

stevo911

Need A Life
Harissa should be in the ethnic aisle at Thrifty's or for sure it will be in Fairways.

It's a bit spicy itself so you may want to taste it before adding it to your recipe.

It is a great seasoning BTW.
New recipes like this we usually start mild, fry up a little bit to test and adjust from there. Good to know on the Harissa though, not something i've ever even heard of before.

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I've made this one a couple of times and I really enjoyed the sausage. When I made them I made the "fresh" sausage variety.

Not a recipe of my own so can't take credit for it.

King of Venison Sausage Recipes

Recipe
• 6 1/2 lbs of trimmed venison
• 3 1/2 lbs of fatty pork shoulder or trimmings. You want a 20% fat mix when you are done
• 3 tablespoons kosher salt
• 3 tablespoons black pepper
• 3 tablespoons onion powder
• 3 tablespoons Accent
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon sage
• 1 teaspoon crushed mustard seed
• 2 teaspoons cure (Prague powder or Instacure #1)
• 2 cups ice water

1. Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it though the mediun plate of your meat grinder.
2. Take all the spices and cure and mix them well into the 2 cups of ice water.
3. Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a couple of minutes to ensure a homogenous mix.
4. Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural or collagen casings and prepare the links for the smoker.
5. Once the smoking process is completed, package the links and either keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze them for up to 4 months.

This recipe is also very good when made as a fresh sausage. If you choose that option, you would obviously leave out the cure, but you may want to add 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke for flavor.

Thread starter #7

stevo911

Need A Life
Phil - that recipe looks almighty tasty.... :Here's To Ya:

The only thing I would omit is the mono-sodium glutimate....
We're gonna give the one I posted up and phils a whirl. If omitting the Accent would you add anything else in lieu? (i've never dealt with the stuff)

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Nope - accent is (in my opinion) not need in any way. There is salt in there and plenty of flavours to dress up the meat. Accent isn't needed.

Make up a small batch - mix the heck out of it - fry up a small piece and taste it for seasoning(s)...... adjust as necessary. You might like more or even less salt, it depends on your own tastes.

Thread starter #9

stevo911

Need A Life
Thanks Dan & Phil.
One of the many reasons I love this site.
We'll be making Phils recipe and the Egyptian sausages tomorrow night!

Thread starter #11

stevo911

Need A Life
Don't forget to do a taste test Steve.... remember - you can always add seasonings and spices but you cannot subtract them....
I learned that one the hard way a few years ago, the batch ended up being about 10lbs bigger than intended (ran to the store to get more meat) to effectively subtract seasonings :hopelessness:

Thread starter #12

stevo911

Need A Life
Well the verdict is in after 6 hours of sausage making after work (not looking forward to the 5am start for hunting tomorrow):
The sausage with harissa: so-so after a lot of tuning up, I'd skip that recipe going forward, I will probably just use what we made in pasta sauces or something.

The cheddar smokie recipe my dad found: pretty darn good after a few minor adjustments/additions (I'll get a copy of it and post it up with our notes. They're getting smoked tomorrow.

The winner of the night: Phil's king of the venison recipe. We added the cure and are smoking them this weekend, omitted the msg but left everything else as-is. That one is definitely a keeper (top 5 minimum, I think it could give our #1 sausage a run for its money) do yourself a favor and give it a try!

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Here are a couple of Lamb Sausage recipes using Harissa for you to consider Steve. Just substitute venison for lamb.....

MIDDLE EASTERN MERGUEZ LAMB SAUSAGE

• 5 lbs Lamb trim
  • 5 tsps ground Coriander
  • 2 ½ tsps whole Fennel seeds
  • 2 tbsps Paprika
  • 2 tsps Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
  • 5 tbsps ground garlic powder
  • 6 tbsps Harissa
  • 1 to 1 ½ cup cold water

Grind Lamb trim thru 3/8” grinder plate just once. Combine all the spices and water in a small bowl and mix very well.
Add the spice mixture to the meat and mix by hand very well.
Stuff sausage mixture into Lamb casings.

MERGUEZ – NORTH AFRICAN LAMB SAUSAGE

• 10 lbs lamb trimmings
  • 4 tablespoons ground coriander
  • 3 table spoons fennel seeds
  • 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 4 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 6 tablespoons garlic powder
  • ¾ can Harissa
  • 1 cup Rice flour
  • 2 cups cold water
  • 3 tablespoons Zarrin tomato paste
Grind lamb trimmings twice through a coarse grinder plate.
Combine all seasonings together and add the cold water. Mix very well.
Add seasoning mixture to the ground meat and mix very well.
Stuff into lamb casings.
I used to make these when I was at Carnivore Meats in Brentwood Bay.

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
You can omit the rice flour and just go with the spices/flavourings and the salt. Mixing it very well will work the salt into the meat making it act as a kind of natural binder. The key is to mix very well so that the mixture separates leaving "strings" of meat from one bit to the next - as opposed to plain burger that just falls apart completely.

It's hard to describe here, but it is easy to see when you're mixing the meat and bring your hands up and pull the mixture apart about 3 or 4 inches.

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Well the verdict is in after 6 hours of sausage making after work (not looking forward to the 5am start for hunting tomorrow):
The sausage with harissa: so-so after a lot of tuning up, I'd skip that recipe going forward, I will probably just use what we made in pasta sauces or something.

The cheddar smokie recipe my dad found: pretty darn good after a few minor adjustments/additions (I'll get a copy of it and post it up with our notes. They're getting smoked tomorrow.

The winner of the night: Phil's king of the venison recipe. We added the cure and are smoking them this weekend, omitted the msg but left everything else as-is. That one is definitely a keeper (top 5 minimum, I think it could give our #1 sausage a run for its money) do yourself a favor and give it a try!
Steve, I'm glad 6ou like it. It's a recipe I found oh the net and gave it a try. A keeper for sure.

Thread starter #17

stevo911

Need A Life
Stange results.
We did the grill up a sample for the sausages on friday when we made them. Saturday/Sunday my dad smoked them with his bradley, and we tried some of them last night, and aside from the smokey flavour they're bordering on being fairly bland.
Have you ever run into smoking killing the flavor before?

Thread starter #19

stevo911

Need A Life
I've not smoked mine and they grill up very well. I do keep the Accent in the recipe though???
Yeah the bits we grilled up were excellent. Maybe the smoke just needs to age/mellow out and is currently masking the flavour? Kind of strange that all the flavour disappeared overnight, I think I'm definitely going fresh on them next time in lieu

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom