Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Sausage Scam?

Thread starter #1

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I'm really doing my best not to jump to conclusions, so I am turning to you fine folks to help ease my mind.

I recently took 26 pounds of meat to a local place to have some smokies made. I brought about 75% mule deer, and 25% pork, all of which was de-boned, vacuum-packed and frozen.

A few days later I went to pick up my smokies. The two women working there were oddly detached and/or grumpy. I had never noticed this before. I eventually got one of them to help me and she brought my smokies to the front.

"Was this game meat?" she asked. I said "yes" and started to explain that I had brought mule deer and a some pork, but it was quite obvious she wasn't listening. Her demeanor was very odd.

I paid and left.

Upon arriving home and sampling the sausage, I noticed that they are very pink. You know, like basic Schneider's wieners. I expected something more like the colour of summer sausage or landjager; a deeper, red/purple colour. Heck, "all beef" wieners are much "redder" than the sausages I received.

I started to get suspicious and mentioned it to my wife. Ever the optimist, she said "yes but they add a bunch of fat, right? - that would make it pink."

"Right... but that would also increase the weight considerably." I said, as I went to grab our industrial meat scale.

23 lbs.

Hmmm... So I brought over 19 pounds of dark red deer meat and 6.5 pounds of pork, to which so much fat was added as to turn it all PINK, and I received 23 lbs of sausage.

So, you all tell me; did I get screwed?

Did I even get my meat back, or is the butcher enjoying some premium venison products while I eat whatever random meat he chose to throw in the machine?

Why was I asked "was this game meat?" by someone who seemed as if she would rather be getting water-boarded than ring my sausage through?

I'd love to be convinced that my suspicions are unfounded.

Last edited:

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Smoking will cause SOME shrinkage but any I have ever had done from red meat are red/brown after smoking I would say you have a right to be suspicious.

Thread starter #3

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Smoking will cause SOME shrinkage but any I have ever had done from red meat are red/brown after smoking I would say you have a right to be suspicious.
Thanks for the feedback, Jim.

Maybe this is why people who don't like deer meat love this guy's "deer" sausage so much.

"You can't even tell you are eating deer! It's just like regular sausage!"

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a google image search for "venison sausage", and I am seeing pictures of what I expected to receive...

My sausage looks like this, except without the herbs:

Last edited:

Fear No Deer

Former Member
Does look like you got a different meat for sure the weight is about right, you loose a little in the grinder and sausage stuffer.

Thread starter #6

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Does look like you got a different meat for sure the weight is about right, you loose a little in the grinder and sausage stuffer.
But if he added fat to 26 pounds, in the typical ratio, wouldn't I get at least 26 pounds back, if not more (even after wastage)?

I'd go back and talk to the owner. If your sausage looks like the second pic it's mostly pork.
Pork or chicken. That's my thought too. Looks exactly like that.

I can't prove anything. If he's crooked enough to take my deer meat, then he surely won't be eager to admit it.

I guess I have to chalk it up to experience. I already have a decent grinder, so I'll be spending some money on a decent stuffer and making my own from now on.

Humanity is ****ty. I lose more faith every day.

Last edited:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'd go back in in an non-confrontational manner and ask him if somehow your deer meat was mislabeled and did not get back to you. Bring some of the sausage in with you so you can show him how pale it is. If he says it's your deer meat ask him how it is possible to turn such a deep red meat into such a pale pink? Tell him you know that it can only be done by adding large amounts of pork, pork fat or breading. It would have to be 40% to 50% fat to change the colour line that.

That's it.

If he added that much percentage of fat ask him where the rest of the sausage is then.

Go from there.

Thread starter #8

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I'd go back in in an non-confrontational manner and ask him if somehow your deer meat was mislabeled and did not get back to you. Bring some of the sausage in with you so you can show him how pale it is. If he says it's your deer meat ask him how it is possible to turn such a deep red meat into such a pale pink? Tell him you know that it can only be done by adding large amounts of pork, pork fat or breading. It would have to be 40% to 50% fat to change the colour line that.

That's it.

If he added that much percentage of fat ask him where the rest of the sausage is then.

Go from there.
Makes perfect sense. I just don't trust myself to remain calm. I've been known to get confrontational (I prefer the term "educational") at The Source when they tell me that their store-branded rechargeable batteries are the same as the Energizers. "You're trained to say that, but its wrong, and here's why....". By the end of it the girl literally threw my new batteries at me across the counter. I guess she wasn't in the mood to learn about low-self-discharge batteries.

Nope. I'm a grumpy old bugger and I really can't see it being very productive to go down and talk to this sausage guy. People lying to my face is just something I can't tolerate.

The upshot, sort of, is that I got 23 lbs of sausage for $50. It's good sausage in its own right, but I wish it had my deer meat in it.

I do appreciate all the feedback, guys. If anyone in the Kamloops area is curious what shop I am talking about, just PM me. I don't want to be a total (--) and post it publicly.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
I bet you could have the sausage tested at one of the labs or universities for a nominal fee, that would leave no doubt. Just a thought.

russm86

I bet you could have the sausage tested at one of the labs or universities for a nominal fee, that would leave no doubt. Just a thought.
Before going through that it would be worth a phone call or visit to the store, maybe it was an honest mistake and someone mixed up the boxes or grabbed the wrong one, he has already suggested the ladies serving him weren't really with it and couldn't give a damn...

Mark

Yup, 23lbs of pork or chicken sausage.
I don't know...say you go in and "educate" him.. Probably don't want to be eating any new products from them after that. Could be that his staff are new and made a mistake; any good owner would like to know about that...coupled with bad service.
At any rate I wish you well in all your future sausage making...hard to rip yourself off:Oh Yeah!:

SaskGooseHunter

Just because you can, Dosent mean you should......
I had this happen to me but instead of deer sausage I got Goose sausage back. The butcher denied it until I showed him the shot gun pellets and told him I didn't shoot my deer with a shot gun. That And that I was a Guide for water fowl and know what goose sausage taste like. He wouldn't refund me but after this I bought my own equipment and started making my own. Best thing I ever did. Now I know exactly what I am getting.
By the look of your sausage I am guessing you got pork. And someone else got deer sausage.

jenn7210

300 MAGNUM
Hard to trust an unknown ! wtfe

Sausage making is quite the art as a good friend of mine has demonstrated time and again. He is trained in meat processing and has a lot of experience making fine products. I would have to check with him to confirm, but overgrinding meat will cause a finer texture and lighter color IIRC ......... Weight loss is always an issue , was fat/fatty meat added in or not, was all meat usable, was any left in the equipment, was it averaged with another batch ????? Smoking will cause lossage too.

Even basic equipment will make great sausage when you are doing it yourself, invest in your own satisfaction .

Good ingredients in ...........................................................good eats out !!!!! :Oh Yeah!:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom