Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Saucisse accessories?

Thread starter #1

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
So last years experiment with making sausage failed miserably. For starters I got one of those breakfast sausage curing kits from Cabela's. Followed the directions and turned out horribly. Wont do that again. Second mistake was that I was using the stuffing tubes that came with my Cabelas grinder. Also, I don't think I'm using the proper size casings so that didnt help either.

Few questions for those seasoned sausage vets. What size tubes/plates would you recommend to achieve making breakfast sausage and bratwurst size sausages, also if I were to delve down the road of making salami. Next question is what size casings?

Also I am seeing quite a few negative results from the Cabela's line of tubes and plates. Where would you suggest picking up a little higher quality product? Nothing expensive, but maybe mid grade price? Being that I am limited to certain places here in Victoria to pick up casings, do you have somewhere you can suggest? Even if it is up in Nanaimo, or even mail order is fine.

Just looking to perfect this technique so we can start enjoying some better quality sausage :victorious:

BCROB

Modifier........
Dave try your local deli for casing, I get breakfast sausage size casings from them fresh the day before I'm going to be stuffin

We all use the natural hog casings in the 33-36mm size for basic sausages. Just soak and rinse them well before using. Don't do breakfast sausage as I really love the hot Italian or garlic for a sausage.

I am curious as to why the Cabelas grinder tubes were a problem?? I sold our stuffer because the grinder was easier, simple and faster. We use the long metal pepperoni tube for everything as we can put on a lot of casing at once and stuff away with no physical effort. Just step on the foot pedal and push the meat through. Have used the larger tubes for summer sausage and smokies with the same results.

Cheers

SS

Thread starter #5

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Dave try your local deli for casing, I get breakfast sausage size casings from them fresh the day before I'm going to be stuffin
That's what I've done the last 2 years, they have synthetic casing only and it just never worked properly. Hard to handle as well. The only deli in town that carries them that I have found. Real limited lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I am curious as to why the Cabelas grinder tubes were a problem??
I only have 2 sizes, and it could be that the casings I had just weren't the right size for the tube. Or as mentioned above the casings were just really hard to work with right off the bat. Couldn't get them onto the tube and keep it there, it was bad lol. Meat flying everywhere, casings ripping and swearing lol

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Are you having a hard time with the colegen casings? We have always done the stuffing as a two person task. I've made some custom size tubes for my use. You can buy hog casings at the "meat market" in Duncan.

Thread starter #7

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Yeah major issues. Couldn't get them to stuff properly 2 years ago and twist off. Last year I bought got some more thinking it was just me and that I learned...Casing was ripping open without a lot of pressure in it, couldn't tie it off. Just miserable. And the wife isn't too banged up on making sausages so I was doing this all on my own.

Thread starter #9

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
They sell things to help me make better food? Dan I had no idea!! Friiiiiiig lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ok will head into there when I get back from hunting. I need to sort this out and sort it out quick. Tired of paying cash for good meat products.

Thread starter #14

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Will do. I really hope I can fine tune this, because I would like to purchase a smoker this year instead of more sausage stuff hahaha

jenn7210

300 MAGNUM
Dave, a few things I have learned from helping my buddy both at home and in his sausage shop::

- stuffing is really a two person job, unless you have some expensive equipment
- collagen casing is less forgiving than natural casing
- stiffness of mixture, careful not too much
- fullness of the stuffed casing, requires just the right touch to hold back the casing as it fills to get good results
- No Air in stuffer, can make a big bang .............

:Here's To Ya:

For those people in Nanaimo - go see Nesvog's Meat and Sausage stores. One in Terminal Park shopping center, and the other up on Bowen Rd at Northfield. It's the olde Pipers Meats location.

Lots of casing - both natural and collagen - and lots of friendly helpful advice.

Not to mention that they will mix up spice blends for you at a very, very reasonable price. The Bowen Rd location ha a lot more time to talk, to mix spices for you, and to give any general help that you need. Plus they always have a cas or two of pork back fat that they will sell you a few pounds from.

Last edited:
Thread starter #18

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Excellent!! Thank you Dan. If everything goes well, by the time I get back from hunting we will be moving...Once I get everything unpacked though, I feel like maybe Joel should be one of those hands helping, since he got so excited for the sausage party part :ROFL:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom