Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Salmon...

Thread starter #1

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
So I have decided to get some propane and fill up my chip box for the BBQ and smoke some salmon. My question is about the age of the fish. Some of these salmon have been in there 2...3 years. I have read online that a folks still eat them and its fine (Though I am certain quite dry)...Are these fish still good for smoking?

And if so would you just soak them in a brine longer and baste a little more than not to hopefully retain what is left of the moisture in said salmon?

Thanks!

Any fish in the freezer longer than 6 months is iffy unless you've completely submerged it in water then froze it. I would say don't waste your time, and all you have is crab bait.

I guess I should have noted that I'm a fish snob. Anything fishy is no good for me, and the longer it's in the freezer, the more likely it is to be bleck! You probably could have gotten away with it within a year, but definitely not 2 or 3. Yikes!

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I agree that it's been in the freezer too long. I can't imagine a way of wrapping it that would preserve it for that long in good condition.

Banned #6

Fear No Deer

Former Member
One year is my limited on fish but my neighbour gave me a 2 year old salmon to smoke and to my surprise it was still in good shape, he froze it whole with the guts in then just wrap it in news paper.

Thread starter #7

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Yeah I don't think my salmon are in as good shape. My mom gave them to me a few years ago and I don't think they are wrapped in news paper. Oh well...To the crabs they shall go!!

On another note...I ended up buying a True North smoker from a buddy of mine. He just picked up a bradley and had it kicking around, so $30 and a little bit of elbow grease, and she is as good as new!! Just cleaned it out and I am currently running a cycle of smoke through it just to season it up a bit. Going to throw some sausage and bacon through it tomorrow!

Dru

This IS My Life
Dave, cold smoke it for 2 hours. Or hot I guess if you can't cold smoke it. Then into the canner at 11 lbs for 110 minutes and you will never know the difference

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom