Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Salmon candy weekend

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I spent the weekend making some salmon candy from some of the fish my son and I caught in Port McNeill.

Here is some cut up.

20160908_212637.jpg

In the brine

20160909_203154.jpg

After 24 hours in the brine they go on the racks to dry and cure up.

FB_IMG_1473695210096.jpg

Nicely opaque and ready for the little chief rack.

20160910_170039.jpg

All loaded up and ready for some smoldering hickory chips.

FB_IMG_1473695238792.jpg

Two pans and about 3 hours and the little chief once again brings the pleasures of self smoking to my table.

The finished product ready for consumption.

FB_IMG_1473695245599.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Banned #2

Leaseman

I've Been REALLY Bad - I apologize to everyone.
Just got my mouth watering Phil!! :Oh Yeah!:

Have you ever had Hardy Boys candy.... Man o`man is it good!! :kewl:

Thread starter #3

philcott

Mucho Gusto
All of the Hardy boy's product is good.

My candy is a little less sweet than theirs but mine has Québec maple syrup, hand carried from the east, in it.

Last edited:
Thread starter #9

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Looks great Phil! Any chance we can get a recipe for that one? The two I've tried so far have been total duds.
I'll pass it on as soon as I can get on my wife's laptop. My work computer is disassembled at the moment. It's a recipe I got from a sister site that is a variation on nog's recipe.

There is not really a lot of prep other than cutting and deboning the fish. There is a lot os waiting around for stuff to cure though.

Just had a piece and man it's tasty.

- - - Updated - - -

Stevo, at you still working in sidney? If so stop by on your way home tonight and have a sample. Then you'll know if it's a recipe you want to try.

Banned #10

Leaseman

I'll pass it on as soon as I can get on my wife's laptop. My work computer is disassembled at the moment. It's a recipe I got from a sister site that is a variation on nog's recipe.

There is not really a lot of prep other than cutting and deboning the fish. There is a lot os waiting around for stuff to cure though.

- - - Updated - - -

Stevo, at you still working in sidney? If so stop by on your way home tonight and have a sample. Then you'll know if it's a recipe you want to try.
Nothing like teasing the rest of us!!: :

Thread starter #11

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Not meant to be a tease, just helping a brother out.

As would you , Mike (one of the good guys) Campbell.

Last edited:

stevo911

Need A Life

- - - Updated - - -

No rush on it, with the complete lack of fishing I've been doing I don't have anything to candy at the moment, just trying to catalogue some good recipes for future use :)
I am, I'll have to take you up on that one!

shuswapbear

Long-Time Member
Dang it now I have to go to local store and get some Hardy candied salmon cause now I'm jonesing for some after seeing all that yummyness

Last edited:
Thread starter #20

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'm guesing you are basing your thoughts on the 5 racks. I bought two extra racks and bent some stainless wire to suspend them under the top two racks. This gives me 40% more smoking capacity in my little chief smoker. I made this modification many years ago and it has served me very well over the years.

Man does that look good Phil but I think by the size of your racks you have a Big Chief.

Banned #22

Leaseman

You need a Bradley Phil!! :kewl:

- - - Updated - - -

you need a Bradley Phil!: :

stevo911

Need A Life
You need a Bradley Phil!! :kewl:

- - - Updated - - -

you need a Bradley Phil!: :
From what I sampled/saw last night I'm going to have to say he's got a system that's working very well for him, why mess with it?

While bradleys are awesome (we bought one for my dad, great for doing ribs etc..) for this type of thing the Chief does a fine job at a fraction of the cost (and space). The pucks to feed those bradley's aren't cheap either.

Banned #24

Leaseman

^^^^ Still needs a Bradley......:biggrin-new: :biggrin-new:

It's kind of an inside joke....I keep teasing Phil about Bradleys!! :biggrin-new:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom