Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Nobody wants blacktail but me

Thread starter #1

BCBear

Hopefully someone can help me here regarding ground/mince. I am fine with Mulies and Blacktails preferring the whitetail over the other two. My wife insists that blacktail ground is just too gamey and I end up being the only one eating it. My only solution to this problem has been a stellar chili dish which everyone seems to like. The kids seem to pick up on the gamey blacktail as well if it's anything else. I do take the care needed in field dressing my deer. It also doesn't matter early Sept or rutters. Does anyone here have any ground mince ideas to help me on this one? It's going to be getting pretty hot outside to be calling everyone in for chili again! I would like to make more use of the bbq, so any marinades or other ideas would be greatly appreciated. thx BCB

BBBnRams

Bc bear.
i often take ground deer meat mixed with 30 % to 50 % of a mix of ground beef and ground pork. NOT TRIM AS THEY CALL IT. Pure meat, so I will take in fifty pounds of deer, ask butcher to add, 25 pounds each of beef and pork neat. Not fat. Total 100 pounds. Yes not pure game then but more ecceptable to those fussing over said strong game favour. Try a small amount first. See what you think.

Or or sausage it. Again added pork meat and or beef. NOT FAT. pay the extra. Get the extra meat.

Do do it your self with a grinder, buy meats when on sale.

Vavoom !

BBBnR

Last edited:

BCROB

Yup as triple B says for anything gamey
or if you have a smoker ,try your hand at making some jerky , there's a million recipes and flavours

To tame the gamey taste there isn't much you can do but try two things - either spice the heck out of it (not hot) or to add other meats as has been mentioned. If you go the sausage route, take care not to make them too dry - you need a certain amount of fat in sausages. Pork butts are the best for a good ratio of meat-to-fat.

Or try burger patties seasoned with herbs and spices - oregano, marjoram, are a couple of favorites that have distinctive flavors that will help tame the gaminess. Of course there is garlic too. Mix a batch op patty meat using those herbs and add some mustard for moisture. Either sweet mustard or dijon mustard. Or - BBQ sauce, HP sauce, or the like.

You mentioned that it didn't matter when you shot the muleys - but I would ask where they were shot - low down or higher up? It could be their forage/food giving them all the strong flavor. Just a thought.

L

Leaseman

With gamey meat, soak it over night in buttermilk......sure, doesn't work on ground, but you might be very surprised on flavor!! (could even grind it then!) :kewl:

Dru

This IS My Life
I think like suggested mix it with beef or pork or another game meat they like.......
funny though that they find Blacktails gamey..... but then I grew up on them

Let them miss a meal or two - they'd sure as heck change their minds in a hurry....:Oh Yeah!:

When I grew up, if we didn't like what was put in front of us at the table - we went hungry. : :

Thread starter #9

BCBear

Bc bear.
i often take ground deer meat mixed with 30 % to 50 % of a mix of ground beef and ground pork. NOT TRIM AS THEY CALL IT. Pure meat, so I will take in fifty pounds of deer, ask butcher to add, 25 pounds each of beef and pork neat. Not fat. Total 100 pounds. Yes not pure game then but more ecceptable to those fussing over said strong game favour. Try a small amount first. See what you think.

Do do it your self with a grinder, buy meats when on sale.

Vavoom !
Or or sausage it. Again added pork meat and or beef. NOT FAT. pay the extra. Get the extra meat.

BBBnR

i think i'll give that a try next time. i'll stick with tomato based recipes for my current stash. thanks for the suggestions all

BBBnRams

I just did the very thing with a Bear I harvested a few weeks back. three different types of sausage, added pork butt roasts at near 50% doubling the outcome and Vavoom, great tasting sausage every one likes. Once they find out its bear you get what ???? No way ? Pork is cheap, as some one has mentioned some fat is needed, but not as much as some of these butchers that call pork trim.

All my sausages are very meaty and do hold and bind together well. I do the same with strong tasting deer, specially for ground burger but the 50 % thing is with beef and pork .

I and family and friends are very pleased with it.

Good luck to you.

BBBnR

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Hopefully someone can help me here regarding ground/mince. I am fine with Mulies and Blacktails preferring the whitetail over the other two. My wife insists that blacktail ground is just too gamey and I end up being the only one eating it. My only solution to this problem has been a stellar chili dish which everyone seems to like. The kids seem to pick up on the gamey blacktail as well if it's anything else. I do take the care needed in field dressing my deer. It also doesn't matter early Sept or rutters. Does anyone here have any ground mince ideas to help me on this one? It's going to be getting pretty hot outside to be calling everyone in for chili again! I would like to make more use of the bbq, so any marinades or other ideas would be greatly appreciated. thx BCB
Do you take all the bone out and trim all unnecessary fat?? That will remove some of the gamey flavours.

BBBnRams

Do you take all the bone out and trim all unnecessary fat?? That will remove some of the gamey flavours.

Always always always. The fat and bone or near the bone is where the stronger flavour is. Some like the flavour. I even remove all bone, if butchered with bone in , before I throw any steak or chop on the bbq. I debone all my critters before freezing, but from time to time with other hunting partners some take it to butchers who band saw chops or t bones etc etc. not me. I remove all bone, bulky fat removed before freezing, all fat removed before cooking ...... For sure I M O

BBBnR

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom