Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

No peak left untouched...

Thread starter #1

KH4

Looking to build another one of these tourist monstrosities....
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bridal-falls-gondola-proposal-1.4804846

The trailhead is hard to access? Great, means less people!
Tourism in a beautiful area? Great, let's make it like Joffre Lakes...

If the road is crappy, why not just grade it and maintain it, way less than the millions it will cost to build an unsightly gondola. It's sad to see our beautiful BC backcountry treated like a potential cash cow.

I wonder what the Sto:lo are thinking on this one...

gunseller

Cable cutters for all. Everything is open if you can "donate" enough money to the right person. The people who built things like 5his just want the money and the heck with the nature view they destroy to make money.
Steve

sealevel

Long-Time Member
their is another cat sking lodge being built south of revelstoke . nobody even knows about it . i do only because i met a guy in a resterant that was building it .
most of you would not remember Jack Monroe . he was the leader of the IWA he use the say with out unions we would be selling pop corn to tourists .

well we have no forest industery, fishing lief licker goverments will not let us mine or ship oil...we are left to selling popcorn to tourists

Old Jack was a plain talker - that's for sure.

As populations continue to grow and expand the "pristineness" (is that a word?) of our wilderness areas suffers. The resident wildlife gets shoved back (and up) further and further until - in the not too distant future - there will be no where for them to go. Look at the coyote and the fox right now - both of them have integrated themselves into cities and towns pretty well.

It is a sad, sad fact of life and one that, if not addressed, will lead to the extinction of most big game animals - or at the very best - examples of those animals will only survive in carefully tended wildlife parks, with constant visitors taking pictures and littering their landscape with empty popcorn containers.

That's my private journey down the road to hell.... I think I'll come back now and try to make a difference.

Thread starter #6

KH4

Paving paradise...

I still can't believe how old Oberto pulled a fast once and snuck the Valemount resort past everyone while everyone was all hot and bothered by Jumbo.

The unfortunate fact is that these developments do not affect just the area within their boundaries, they can ruin and entire valley or range with their presence. Their footprint is much bigger than any environmental assessment will admit.

Still waiting to hear what the result will be on the Retallack application.

Buck Naked

Good idea building and expanding tourist capacity in the Fraser Valley
Now we just need a couple of big gates just upstream from Hope to keep the riff raff out of the Interior !

Top Bottom