Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

made a trip to the rock

Thread starter #1

sealevel

Long-Time Member
i havn`t been to the rock in 8 years . i have friends and my daughter lives there .

what i couldn`t believe is how dry it is there . wow looked more like oliver . all those nice green fields just south of parksville are all brown ...

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Yes, many people believe because the Island is surrounded by the west coast of the
continent it gets a lot of moisture. Not so, the east side often can suffer from not
enough rain. It's the same for Haida Gwaii...I once rode my bicycle up the east side
of Vancouver Island and the length of Haida Gwaii in March. A riding buddy refused
to join me for fear of constant rain. Not only didn't I experience any rain, the east side
of Haida Gwaii had a shortage of water problem.

KH4

Much of the gulf islands are considered a similar climate to the Mediterranean in terms of growing zones, etc.

The moisture doesn't drop till the clouds hit the hills!

My wife and I were just there too for our 25th anniversary last week. She was born in Victoria and left about age 6 to live in Kelowna. We've only visited 3 times in the last 25 years, and two of the times was very dry, brown grass everywhere. We went once about 17 years ago, it was so dry people were painting their lawns green.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Been really dry for 4 or 5 summers now, we haven't run our well dry yet this year so maybe not as dry as other years but then again maybe we are just a little more careful and I'm sure the automatic stock waterer helps. But dry is dry.

Thread starter #7

sealevel

Long-Time Member
well i lived in port alberni and parksville . always had 6 weeks off for heat in july and august but i have never seen lawns and fields burnt brown ..and i can only remember 1 fire . that was the taylor river fire in 1971 .

Top Bottom