Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Korean bbq Pork jerky

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Need A Life
Got some cheap pork loins so I decided to try making some jerky, the recipe is for beef but I won't let that get in the way.
I've also never tried the recipe, so it's a bit of an experiment.

Liberally pepper the meat then marinade in the following overnight
1 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 grated Asian pear
1 sliced onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons grated ginger

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Steve - you wild and crazy guy! substituting pork for beef......

It ought to work well - although, without photos it's really had to tell.

I'm looking forward to the results.

Thread starter #4

stevo911

Need A Life
Steve - you wild and crazy guy! substituting pork for beef......

It ought to work well - although, without photos it's really had to tell.

I'm looking forward to the results.
I know in my head what I want it to taste like, and this recipe was the closest I could get (aside from the pork/beef thing) so I figure I'll use it as a starting point and adjust on subsequent batches (I'm doing about 3lbs of meat in this one)

I'll post up pics tonight, so far it looks delicious (if it werent raw pork I probably would have already sneaked a taste, I might grill up a piece tonight, looks too good not to). It kind of reminds me of making candied salmon, so I'm considering leting some of it air dry for a little bit to try and form a pellicle, not sure? It's going in a dehydrator anyways though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Thread starter #6

stevo911

Need A Life
The other thing I'm thinking, if it doesn't all fit in the dehydrator in one batch, is to add some chilli pepper flakes to the second half, let that marinade a bit for a sweet and spicy version

Thread starter #7

stevo911

Need A Life
Uploading pics from my phone wont work (i'll do it from a computer later) but I'd call the experiment a success.

Future batches I'll be using lighter/less salty soy sauce (i used chinese soy sauce for this batch since that's what i had), and a bit more sugar, but it does taste good as is :)

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Uploading pics from my phone wont work (i'll do it from a computer later) but I'd call the experiment a success.

Future batches I'll be using lighter/less salty soy sauce (i used chinese soy sauce for this batch since that's what i had), and a bit more sugar, but it does taste good as is :)

Did you use China Lilly soy sauce? It can be pretty strong.

Thread starter #11

stevo911

Need A Life
Steve - maybe some Hoysin sauce thinned with a touch of Rice Wine Vinegar instead of the straight Soy sauce?
Oh! I like the sound of that! In my head I'm thinking kind of a candied bbq jerky, I think hoisin would add some nice flavour.

I might actually try using this for a sausage blend (less some liquid), and serve with Hoisin...

Did you use China Lilly soy sauce? It can be pretty strong.
Golden Dragon or something like that? Not quite as potent as China Lilly, but not far off. I don't know why I buy the stuff, i prefer the mellower soy sauces the majority of the time.

Last edited:
Thread starter #17

stevo911

Need A Life
Funnily enough I was just coming here to get the images uploaded and hadn't even seen the peanut gallerys contribution :p

The jerky is about half gone already, so Ill call it a success.

m5YrVKX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #20

stevo911

Need A Life
Thanks for posting a pic wish I was closer it would be all gone along with a case of beer.
Next time I find a deal on pork loin I'll me making an awful lot more of it (with the soy sauce and hoisin modifications)
1/3 of a loin did 3 trays in my dehydrator, I've got a dozen trays for it, so I can really make some meat :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom