Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

I want to start smoking...

Thread starter #1

Fella

Tall as a mountain thin as a pine
...food. Not cigarettes. Anyone use the little chief? I know the Bradley is probably the gold standard for smoking, but they're expensive. Does the little chief get the job done? I want to smoke fish, meat, cheese etc.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
I used a Totem for years it did everything. I never tried Cheese but everything I did try worked fine. I have a Bradley now and it is sure convenient but the food doesn't taste any better. Imo

KTownKiller

This IS My Life
The problem with my old Little Chief is I couldn't set the temp. The one I got from Princess Auto atleast has temp control, but it takes a while to get it set. A Bradley would be awesome, I bet. But I'm used to my PA one now. The Chinese instruction are hilarious though! :highly_amused:

Banned #7

Fear No Deer

Former Member
I have 3 smokers and yesterday used the big chief because did not want to fully cook the fish because was canning it, do like the Bradley for certain things but why not use your little chief to start and see if you like it.

20170924_161508.jpg

20170924_164706.jpg

unnamed.jpg

20170924_173721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Little chief did my fish and jerky for close to 30 years. Still have it but use the bradley now.

Little chief will be too hot for cheese unless you modify and run a cold smoke tube to it and it's not hot enough for fancy smoking foods. I also always finished my jerky off in the dehydrator.

With the L.C. you have to be a bit more creative but it sure can smoke some tasty salmon.

A little of what you can do in the chief.

pep.jpg

pep1.jpg

pep2.jpg

Dru

This IS My Life
Joel, you can go custom like Matt suggests. Bradley sells just the generator.... or you can use a hot plate..

Little chief works well but you can't control the temp..

Bradley for me is the best.. gotta be digital tho...
You can find them on sale some times...

Starting out though.... it's hard to beat the little chief...

Just remember, smoking is all about ambient temp and humidity in the environment you are smoking in...like smoke cheese in the winter.. and pulled pork is better to do in the summer....

Banned #14

Leaseman

I've Been REALLY Bad - I apologize to everyone.
That is why you get the cold smoke attachment for you Bradley.....great for cheese unless it is in the mid 30's outside! :Oh Yeah!:

We did a 11 pound spiral ham as part of Thanksgiving, two hour apple smoke @ 220, then basting it on the BBQ for another couple of hours @ 230......

Last edited:
What's the story behind that custom one, Matt!? Looks awesome!
Custom Conversion. The shell was originally a Hospital Food Warming Cart, circa mid 1950's. Lucked across it when my trolling partner decided to upgrade to a bigger house with huge deep water docking. Took a fair bit to whip it into shape, but methinks it is quite likely the Last one I will ever need to build!

Damn near 400 pounds (good thing it came with wheels!) it has 2.5 inch thick walls with very serious insulation all round.

Lots of Mods since I originally posted about it http://bigshotsbc.ca/showthread.php?6428-New-Smoker

Now has an professional PID (Thermostat) which controls both internal box temperature, and internal product temperature as well as duration of burn and auto shut down.

And LOVING It! small wink

Cheers,
Nog

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, I used a hi-mountain kit. Came with mahogany casings and all spices. I can't say it's the best I've had though. I'd try my own spices next time and you used to be able to buy the mahogany casings at wholesale. I'm guessing outfitters or cabela's has them.

Dru

This IS My Life
I noticed IO has cases and stuff.... what didn't you like about the spice?
I bought a Savory breakfast sausage kit once... I tossed it... I followed the instructions but it was way way too strong...

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Don't really know what about in particular other than the taste just isn't to my liking. It's ok if cooked like on a pizza but not my favourite for just on a cracker.

I had a country sage breakfast kit that the sage was too strong in once too.

Last edited:

Dru

This IS My Life
that was the one......

I am hoping to try some sausage stuff here soon.... but I think I am going to go natural and use a recipe from my saved stuff in the computer......
I want to start with a breakfast sausage thing,,, but make patties to start....all I have is a grinder with the sausage attachment, from what it sounds like they don't work well....

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, when you have a recipe you like and want to do 20 lbs or so I'll bring my Dakota stuffer over and I'll show you how well it works. It uses water power from your sink to push the meat int the casings. Pretty slick unit.

Dru

This IS My Life
That was what I was hoping for..... my plan is...... and it will take a while! lol.....
figure out what I like.... making it in to patties to "test" give the stuffer a try on my grinder...
and when I get it dialed ... I was going to get a hold of ya! and maybe trade knowledge over home brew!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom