Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

hit a dog

Thread starter #1

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Holly molly this morning at 4: 30 my grandson connor and i headed out hunting . 5 or so ks from home cruising along about a 100 i meet a set of head lights . i am just about even with this jeep when poww i hit something big . connor is saying its a black wolf . i turn around the jeep is already stoped the driver says he just barely missed it . but i smoked this huge dog right in the head at 100 k . all of a sudden this dog gets up and walks off the road . fell over and crossed the great divide . at 430 am... i am not about to start knocking on doors . did a bit of damage to my old truck but a 360.000 klm i am not about to fix it.. everything still works . dog looked like a bull mastaf something huge .

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
sealevel;
Good evening to you sir, I'm glad to read that you got out hunting with your grandson AND that he's good to go at 4:30 - means he's either serious about hunting or time with Grandpa, neither of which is a bad thing whatsoever in my view.

I am however sorry to read about the dog collision, it sounds like you didn't have much choice in the matter, but of course it still isn't a pleasant experience.

Searching around in my memory banks tonight I know I was driving once with my '80 Toyota 4x4 when a German Shepherd came out of an orchard near Osoyoos and because of traffic I had to hit it. It stayed right there too.

Anyway sir, I'm hoping that the rest of the day with your grandson was a good one and good luck to you both on the rest of your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

sometimes life lessons are hard . good on you AND the other vehicle stopping to see what you hit ( or hit you). Grandson learned that ''things happen'' that you have no control over.......sad but true........glad no one except the unfortunate ''black'' was injured.
how was the ''hunt''?? glenn

Thread starter #5

sealevel

Long-Time Member
our streak was broken . connor has shot a deer opening day for 6 years in a row ...this was our opening and we didn`t connect . haha my guideing was shoddy cause i didn`t want him to shoot anything today . friday morning i am flying to texas so i really didn`t want to have to cut up a deer this week .

gunseller

Animals come out of no where sometime and things happen. Several years ago just after dark I meet a semi truck and just as I cleared the back of the truck I hit a deer at full speed on the highway centered on the hood. Yes it totaled the car. I never touched the brake, did not see it until I had hit it. Glad your grandson understands things happen. To bad hunt was a miss but things happen and you being off is understandable. Glad no person was hurt.
Steve

Near broke my heart when I hit a fox on the way in to work early one morning..... ran across right under me - no chance to swerve at all. It came out of the dark and into the headlights so quick that all I could do was watch and cringe.

Hate it when that happens.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I've been very fortunate in my 55+ years of driving that I've only had one cat
and one coyote jump out and be run over by my rear tires. There have been
many near misses on different animals. On the other side of the coin, I did have
a range cow run into the side of my truck at full speed.
When bicycling down through Washington, Oregon and Northern California I saw
many animal carcasses, mainly deer, that were hit by vehicles. I attribute that to
windy roads, vegetation growing right to the edge of the pavement, and rural drivers
speeding. While enjoying a break in a little local coffee shop I overheard a lady telling
some friends that she had just got her car back from the body shop after hitting a deer
and now has to take it in again because she just smoked another one that morning.

gunseller

Here in Iowa we so darn many deer that I figure we hit a deer about every 75,000 to 100,000 miles traveled. My wife ,Peggy, totaled 3 cars in 3 years. No one hurt.
Steve

I've mowed down many animals while on the rails.. About the only thing I could do was extinguish the headlights so as not to blind them and make as much noise as possible.. There's no stopping... it's a real sick/sad sound we hear when they get caught up tumbling underneath in pieces...
That being said I have more sympathy for them than the Two legged ones that try ending life...

Go Do It Somewhere Else...!!

thread# 13 .words to remember.......
about 15 years ago, my daughter was in LADYSMITH on the island on business....she left her big MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 2 Door at my place in NANAIMO and caught a ride with a friend in her HONDA.......it was late so her friend picked up her new boyfriend and let him drive the LOWERED
HONDA with those damn little tires with the mini sidewalls....heading home to COURTENAY,just at WATERLOO Creek where the ELK FENCE STARTS ,a heard runs across the highway... dam fool driving the HONDA swerves ,hits the shoulder with those little tires and the car does the end over end over end until a tree stopped it from going into the creek.... bail of hay in car kept daughter from being crushed...... 2 other vehicles avoided the action and called 911,,,everyone walked away......taken to hospital and released next day..........
SO DON'T SWERVE:I'm watchin you!:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
thread# 13 .words to remember.......
about 15 years ago, my daughter was in LADYSMITH on the island on business....she left her big MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 2 Door at my place in NANAIMO and caught a ride with a friend in her HONDA.......it was late so her friend picked up her new boyfriend and let him drive the LOWERED
HONDA with those damn little tires with the mini sidewalls....heading home to COURTENAY,just at WATERLOO Creek where the ELK FENCE STARTS ,a heard runs across the highway... dam fool driving the HONDA swerves ,hits the shoulder with those little tires and the car does the end over end over end until a tree stopped it from going into the creek.... bail of hay in car kept daughter from being crushed...... 2 other vehicles avoided the action and called 911,,,everyone walked away......taken to hospital and released next day..........
SO DON'T SWERVE:I'm watchin you!:
As an former accident investigator I can echo that warning. Do not violently swerve! Ever wonder what those curving black skid marks are the result from? Most are from over steering for one reason or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom