Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Ground Meat/Jerky sticks (kind of like hot rod pepperoni?)

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Need A Life
So with part of this deer I was wanting to make some smoked/cured/dried jerky/pepperoni sticks, but I'm having a hard time finding a recipe because I don't know what they're called. Red Barn calls them Jerky Sticks, they're kind of like Hot Rod dry pepperoni (the small ~1/4" diameter ones) except less greasy and more jerkyish.

I haven't actually even seen casings small enough to do them really, so wondering if anyone has done anything similar? I like them over regular jerky as they don't get stuck in your teeth but you can still chew on em for a while.

I have access to a Bradley digital electric to get her done.

Last edited:

mastercaster

This IS My Life
If it's jerky you're making they won't be in casings like pepperoni. They'll be squeezed out of a tube unless you want to thinly slice it yourself (too much work for me). I'm going to make some jerky up soon, too. I bought one of those five flavour kits that you can buy at WSS or Cabellas,,,about $18. There's 3 different 5 flavour combinations that you can buy. They're made by a company called Hi Mountain Seasonings. If you go on line you can check out the other two options which have other flavours.

Mine has:

original blend
cajun blend
Mesquite blend
hickory blend
cracked pepper 'n garlic blend

Thread starter #6

stevo911

Need A Life
I'll investigate those hi mountain kits more, their snackin sticks looks like it might be the closest thing.

Brent: the things I have in mind are more of a jerky and smoked/cured but they are in a casing, they're kind of weird. I'll try and get some and post a pic

I think what you have in mind, Steve, is air-dried stix - after they are cured and smoked.

You can do this at home by hanging your product from your lady's wooden clothes drying rack and directing a fan (set on med) right at the stuff. Put the fan as far away from the stix so that all are covered by the steady breeze. Leave it going at least over night and check it in the morning - it may require more drying.

Galloping Goose Sausage does this to their Biltong and a few other dried products. Works like a charm.

Thread starter #10

stevo911

Need A Life
Thanks gents, you've given me a decent starting point to figure out what it is exactly that I"m after. :good on ya:
I'm gonna try and pick someones brain at the red barn and buy some of theirs too, cause they're mighty tasty!

Will report back once I have more information/details and/or a final product.

Last edited:

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
I know exactly what you are talking about Steve...I have no idea where you could get the stuff to do them. If you figure it out let me know, because you are right, those things are freaking AMAZING!

Thread starter #14

stevo911

Need A Life
In length or diameter? It looks like they were probably about the size of a pencil prior to being dried. I've got a chunk soaking in the fridge to see if there are any clues to how its put together

mastercaster

This IS My Life
In length or diameter? It looks like they were probably about the size of a pencil prior to being dried. I've got a chunk soaking in the fridge to see if there are any clues to how its put together
I need to look at my jerky gun,,,,,for some reason i think it has two different heads, one for a flat strip and the other for a skinny tube like that.

Thread starter #17

stevo911

Need A Life
Well I think Im going to go with the Hi Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic blend this time, heard too many good reviews not to give it a go. Ordered a jerky gun this morning with a few nozzles, so we'll see how she goes.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Well I think Im going to go with the Hi Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic blend this time, heard too many good reviews not to give it a go. Ordered a jerky gun this morning with a few nozzles, so we'll see how she goes.
I've got to get going on mine, as well. Looks like you've help me make up my mind with one of the choices in my variety pack. I think I'll also try the Cajun blend. Each packet only users two pounds of ground meat so I know I'll make more.

Thread starter #19

stevo911

Need A Life
Keep us posted on how the cajun stuff works out. I'm thinking of doing another batch with another sort of scratch recipe of some sort. Not entirely sure what recipe I'm using yet but I'm thinking something with brown sugar in it for some sweeter jerky to try and get it like the red barn stuff.

I'm planning on trying the stick and strip jerky attachments my gun comes with on each type of jerky to compare texture etc... and see which style I like most

Last edited:
Thread starter #21

stevo911

Need A Life
I just bought mine, so we'll see what I think of it. My beef with thin sliced meat is I have tight teeth that are prone to blowing up floss, but somehow the strands of meat fiber mange to get stuck in there and it takes forever to fish them out.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
So you guys are all fans of the jerky guns eh??......:popcorn:

I still like doing it the old way, thin sliced meat....gives you a good assortment with the little differences in thickness! :Oh Yeah!:
I plan on making my jerky with meat that's been ground. It's definitely quicker but I bet not quite as good as if you were to cut thin strips of meat..

Leaseman

retired mod
I plan on making my jerky with meat that's been ground. It's definitely quicker but I bet not quite as good as if you were to cut thin strips of meat..
Again I think it is what you are use to, for some, like me, what you grew up with!! :kewl:

I have made jerky for 40 years, just about always the same basic flavors.....family and friends can't get enough of it so I don't experiment too much with other flavors and styles.....the jerky gun came in huge, what a decade or so ago as an easier, less chewy alternative! :Oh Yeah!:

So using the gun style, for the lack of a better comment, it is a bit like sausage making without a casing (I know, not round either!).....you mix your store bought blends in with the ground, load up the gun and squeeze it out??

How do you dry it?

For how long?

How thick, or can you make different thicknesses?

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Again I think it is what you are use to, for some, like me, what you grew up with!! :kewl:

How do you dry it?

For how long?

One thickness,,,comes out like a ribbon so it's about the same thickness as it would be if you cut strips. It's my understanding that just about everyone dries them in those 5-7 tray dehydrators. Google Ronco. I bought my kit about a month a go and haven't used it yet so I'm not sure how long the jerky is in there for. I believe you're suppose to rotate the trays inside the dryer, though, for even drying throughout.

My son in law made up about 6 batches or more for his sheep hunting trip last August so it made up a good part of his diet by the sounds of it. LOL

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Like Mike, I always cut my meat into strips. It does get stuck in my teeth a bit like Steve but I like the chewiness of the strips. BCRob told me he was using the jerky I sent him like chewing tobacco by placing it between his lip and his gums and letting the flavours slowly seep out.

To each their own method of jerky prep. As long as we/you are enjoying it, it must have been made right.

Keep calm and chew on.

Thread starter #26

stevo911

Need A Life
So using the gun style, for the lack of a better comment, it is a bit like sausage making without a casing (I know, not round either!).....you mix your store bought blends in with the ground, load up the gun and squeeze it out??

How do you dry it?

For how long?

It's just like making sausage sans casings! I'm starting with a store bought blend for one of the batches I do, and going to home brew a recipe for the other batch (I'm thinking either honey garlic ginger, or thai sweet chili). You can make little round ones too, without casings (after soaking one of those red barn ones I posted a picture of, I'm pretty convinced they don't have a casing).

You can dry it in a dehydrator, in the oven, or in a smoker, drying time depends on thickness (you can get different nozzles for different size sticks). I'm either going to do dehydrator or oven for mine, as I don't think the flavours I'm going for will lend themselves all that well to smokiness and I can babysit them at home, whereas I'd need to go to my parents place to make us of the smoker.

Traditionally we've only ever done meat strips with one recipe that's tried and true, but I want to experiment and branch out. I'll send/bring some samples with the 20g! (I'll be heading over there in 3 weeks if you're around?)

The other thing with the chewiness I almost forgot about is my jaw starts clicking after half of the first piece, which I'm not a fan of :p

Last edited:
Thread starter #27

stevo911

Need A Life
So I made snack'n sticks (hi mountain kit) and they're alright, definitely prefer the jerky, but something is done totally different to the red barn sticks, the texture is completley different, the outsides look different. Got me scratching my head a bit.

Also made Hi Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic in stick and ribbon form with the gun, they turned out pretty decent compared to what I was expecting from a kit. (Mastercaster & RiverBC can chime in on their thoughts)

If you wanted to make chewier ground jerky, would you go to a coarser grind? I've heard of adding oats during grinding to act as a binder?

Too me the chewiness woukd come from the long fibres of the meat. Could try a course grind. All the jerky I've tried from a jerky gun has always been softer chewing. I've never made it though.

lyktohunt

I make lots of jerky from ground deer ( very careful to trim all fat and as much silver skin as possible out )I make my own season blend very simple mix 3 parts coarse black pepper 1 part garlic powder 1 part onion powder a tsp or so cayenne and a tsp smoked paprika.
I use the jerky gun and squish it out on the dehydrator trays for 6-8 hours in 5 lb batches.
I use the proportions of mix according to the High Mountain instructions something like about 3 tables spoons of seasoning and one table spoon of Mortons cure.
I damn near live on that stuff on hunting trips

Thread starter #30

stevo911

Need A Life
Too me the chewiness woukd come from the long fibres of the meat. Could try a course grind. All the jerky I've tried from a jerky gun has always been softer chewing. I've never made it though.
Ok,that's what I was thinking, I did a fine grind last batch, will do coarse on the next one, not looking for something as chewy as sliced jerky, just chewier than last time.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
So I made snack'n sticks (hi mountain kit) and they're alright, definitely prefer the jerky, but something is done totally different to the red barn sticks, the texture is completley different, the outsides look different. Got me scratching my head a bit.

Also made Hi Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic in stick and ribbon form with the gun, they turned out pretty decent compared to what I was expecting from a kit. (Mastercaster & RiverBC can chime in on their thoughts)

If you wanted to make chewier ground jerky, would you go to a coarser grind? I've heard of adding oats during grinding to act as a binder?
I thought yours tasted pretty darn good, Steve,,,,but I hadn't eaten for 2-3 hours which is a long time for me, so I was hungry, but in any event I thought it tasted good enough for me to make some up last night and today. Just took the last of it out of the oven just now. There's no question, though, that it doesn't take much chewing to get it down the gullet. Just the same, because it's so easy to make, I don't mind that it's a quicker chew.

I thought the cracked pepper and garlic on the left tasted better than the cajun on the right. I still have three other flavour packets to try,,,,the original, hickory, and mesquite. BTW, mine was made from course ground venison.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
What did you end up doing for temperature/cook time?
I put the oven on at just under 200 F. but the little temp gauge I have hanging off the top rack read about 160-170 because I put an oven glove between the oven door and the oven, as suggested on a couple of the you tubes I watched. I think it may have been in the Hi Mountain instructions, as well. Some heat escapes that way but there's more air circulation supposedly. Kept it in the oven for close to 2 hours,,,,turned the strips over after the first hour. Thy were cooked on the cooling racks.

I might try the dehydrator next time but the oven method sure seems to work. I probably shouldn't have bothered buying it. Live and learn, I guess~

Algorithm

Long-Time Member
IMG_2143.jpg This is salami from the little chief smoker booklet. You can find a PDF online easily and it requires no casing. I ran some through my jersey gun, it came with a pepperoni stick nozzle that works good. The starting point is 5lbs ground beef and 1 tablespoon mortons tender quick per pound. You can spice it to your liking after that. I liked the flavour of the salami so I just use the same recipe for the jerky strips or pepperoni sticks.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Just mixed up another flavour from the variety pack just now,,,,,the Original. Anybody here ever try the Hi Mountain Original? Just wondering how it is? I guess I'll find out tomorrow once it comes out of the oven.

lyktohunt

Just mixed up another flavour from the variety pack just now,,,,,the Original. Anybody here ever try the Hi Mountain Original? Just wondering how it is? I guess I'll find out tomorrow once it comes out of the oven.
I used to use the prepackaged( and the one you are asking about )but switched over to a blend I make up as mentioned in a previous post, the pre packaged is fine but I prefer my mix

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom