Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

from the smoker

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Here are a few pics from Fridays smoking.

1st run in the smoker. Used apple wood for 2 1/4 hours. Kept the temp under 100C.

Now I have to wait a month to try it out. This is supposed to allow the smoke to infuse into the cheese and mellow out.

Four kinds of cheese to try.

IMG_5843.jpg

Full smoke going on. (I wrapped one of my wife's thermometer in a bag to double check the temps)

IMG_5846.jpg

Cooling and blooming on the racks.

IMG_5847.jpg

After this I wrapped them up and put them to bed in the beer fridge to mellow. Looking forward to Dec 13th. Sample day.

IMG_5849.jpg

Last edited:
Banned #2

Leaseman

I've Been REALLY Bad - I apologize to everyone.
Any get soft on you Phil??

First go around I had some drop more than half an inch through the mesh...... :Doh!: : :

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
They look grate Phil... small wink

Dumb question, I know, but did you wrap them individually in the saran wrap before putting them in the fridge - or just leave them in the tupperware container?

Knowing you, I'd have to say 'wrapped individual' and then into the fridge..... :Here's To Ya:

Thread starter #4

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Any get soft on you Phil??

First go around I had some drop more than half an inch through the mesh...... :Doh!: : :
A little soft Mike but I watched the temp pretty close as the cheese guru's on the Bradley forum said it was best to not let it get too warm.

- - - Updated - - -

Dumb question, I know, but did you wrap them individually in the saran wrap before putting them in the fridge - or just leave them in the tupperware container?

Knowing you, I'd have to say 'wrapped individual' and then into the fridge..... :Here's To Ya:
Dan, I hauled out my older Vac sealer and did them all up in that and about 20 minuted later half of them had air in the. Feck. I then cut them out (most anyway and will watch the others), and double wrapped in plastic wrap before putting in a zip loc and into the fridge they went. Time is passing slowly.

Dru

This IS My Life
hey man, You need to post up what you did! lol...

did you do the ice block?
how long?
lol.... I need to know!
I keep wanting to do this one myself.

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Classic Phil. Just enough to get the juices going, leaves you hanging screaming for more hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

I also think that we should be his test bunnies Dru on the 10th...You know...Just to make sure they will be fine for him on the 13th hahaha

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
Oh man, Phil.... I can see some experimenting in you future..... Remember what Ali was playing with?

Smoked onions
3-2-7-8-2-9_normal.1604082255.jpg

Smoked bacon-wrapped onion rings
oring11.jpg

Smoked leeks
4557137624_ec1ff6ee32_b.jpg

Smoked green onions (or maybe garlic chives?)....
smoked-oinons-624x345.jpg

Thread starter #9

philcott

Mucho Gusto
hey man, You need to post up what you did! lol...

did you do the ice block?
how long?
lol.... I need to know!
I keep wanting to do this one myself.
I'll do that Dru. I want to document my smoking so if I do something really wonderful I can recreate it.

Last edited:
Banned #10

Leaseman

Seems a short attention span for some here!!! :Doh!: :biggrin-new:

There has been a few threads, a couple started by me, over the last couple of years....

I use 4 different flavors on mine now, depending on the cheese! :kewl:

Pulled pork, cheese, turkeys and chickens! All the beginnings of a smoking addiction!

It looks like a 6 rack digital Bradley to me......:popcorn:

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
smoked_onion.jpg

• Cut the top of the onion off. This is the hard part of the onion. ...
  • Remove the outer layer of skin and discard.
  • Brush each onion in olive oil.
  • Liberally sprinkle your favorite seasoning over each onion.
  • Place the onions in your Smoker at 200 to 225 degrees.
  • Smoke for 2 to 3 hours. ...
  • Remove from the Smoker and slice.

How to Smoke Onions | The Backyard Southern Gourmet

blog.armadillopepper.com/2012/05/26/how-to-smoke-onions/

Last edited:
Thread starter #14

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I bought four different kinds of cheese Cracker Barrel Monterrey Jack, Armstring old cheddar, Bergeron "ripened form cheese" from costco and Meddo Belle mild gouda also from costco. I wanted to try a variety to see which I liked best. I cut them into blocks of varying sizes to see if the smoke flavour would permeate to different degrees.

I don't yet have a good thermometer to use with the smoker so I grabbed one from the kitchen and put it in a baggie and placed in the smoker to see what difference there would be with the built in bradley one. I discovered that there was about 10 degrees F. difference.

Outside temp 10 C.

I unplugged the plug to the bradley heater and also left the heater off (double I know) and I set the smoker for 2 1/4 hours with 7 apple pucks. I read you want a milder smoke for cheese and apple, pecan and alder had been recommended.

I sprayed the racks with Pam, put water in the puck catching bowl and loaded up the cheese with the softer ones on the higher racks thinking it might not be as hot up there. I had the vent about a 1/4 open.

I checked on the temperature about every 1/2 hour and did notice the inside of the smoker was a bit hotter than the bradley gauge was reading. I rotated the block each time I opened the door.

I had read that 85 to 90F was a good temperature to smoke the cheese at as this would give you a pretty good colour on the finished cheese and that over 100F the cheese would start to melt and oils would separate from the cheese which most say is unwanted. Much more than 100 and the cheese would start dripping through the racks.

I did use a small block of ice towards the end to keep the temp lower but in reality opening the door to rotate the cheese also dropped the temp for a while. The ice was simply put in a couple of Stainless bowls at the bottom of the smoker.

Once the smoke was done i removed the racks and put them on the counter to cool and bloom. I left them there for about an hour then I blotted any oils off the cheese with paper towels. The cheese then went into the fridge to cool down and firm up before wrapping. Double wrapped in plastic wrap and into a viploc bag to stay for a month. Most folks say to leave it a month or more and you will be happier as the ash taste of the smoke will have gone and you will get a fuller, diffused smoke flavour in your cheese.

That's about it Dru.

Mike told me if I wanted and for the Christmas season to get on it so I will give you the same advice. Get on it so it can rest for a month.

Supposedly the smoke coating seals the cheese and it can stay in the fridge wrapped up for many months. Some say up to and over a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I use 4 different flavors on mine now, depending on the cheese! :kewl:

Pulled pork, cheese, turkeys and chickens! All the beginnings of a smoking addiction!
It looks like a 6 rack digital Bradley to me......:popcorn:
See what you have done. :good on ya::Hi:

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
I don't yet have a good thermometer to use with the smoker so I grabbed one from the kitchen
I never thought of that! We have one of those Kitchenaid $15 digital deals from Canadian Tire, currently testing it out to make sure it doesn't melt inside the smoker lol thanks for the idea Phil!!

Banned #17

Leaseman

:Doh!:

Now you have Dearest E all worked up... There goes my days off...:Yikes!:
Well you have no excuses Junior since you won one here and we have never seen anything you have don with yours!!:Na-ahh::Behave:

Have you even opened it up?? :popcorn: : :

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
Well you have no excuses Junior since you won one here and we have never seen anything you have don with yours!!:Na-ahh::Behave:

Have you even opened it up?? :popcorn: : :
Just one batch of Jerky... It's over in Langford area at the moment dealing with some Caribou and Moose....

Going to have to drag the Old Backup out of the Attic..:Behave:

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
Everything in this thread looks like I could eat a lot of it......The smoked onions or Leeks would be good to try....with the smoked cheese. I have had Hickory Smoked cheese done by an old German fella from Regina.....It was To Die For...

Thread starter #20

philcott

Mucho Gusto
So after 4 weeks and 2 days I broke into the cheese last night.

It smells wonderful and has nice colour.

The cheddar was good but the cheddar itself slightly overpowers the smoke taste.

The jack cheese and the Bergeron were really good. I wouldn't change a thing.

The gouda was fantastic. It's a winner all the way and I will do lots of this in the future.

I have other cheeses to try that still need a couple weeks in the fridge to mellow the smoke out but so far the gouda is king.

Banned #22

Leaseman

S you figure the cheddar takes longest. What do you do with Gouda other than sandwiches?
Anything you want!! :highly_amused:

Honestly Dru, use it for sandwiches, baking, crackers and cheese, nachos......anything you can think of! Many who have tried mine (family and friends) just like it as a treat, sliced by itself......or with your hot apple pie, or a slice of cold apple and cheese.....

Mac & cheese with smoked cheese is unbelievable, but make sure you use smoked and non smoked......

A slice or two on your burger goes well too!

Thread starter #24

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, I'm not sure how I'll use it other than sliced thin on crackers, in sandwiches, on burgers and just cubed up and chomped on.

I think the cheddar being a harder cheese might take a little longer but I used an old cheddar and maybe a medium or mild would smoke better.

I can attest to the great taste the smoked gouda adds to the sandwiches Mikes lovely wife makes. It's either the home smoked cheese or the heaping helping of love that goes into each one of those sandwiches but they are among the best I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
That sure looks and sound good Phil! Thanks for sharing. There is a lot of good information on this site from folks like yourself, and all you have to do is look to get the inside scoop.

Thread starter #27

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I think I'd still do a variety. I could have pulled the gouda out after 2.5 hours of smoke and continued with the others but this was my first time trying cheese.

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
So after 4 weeks and 2 days I broke into the cheese last night.

It smells wonderful and has nice colour.

The cheddar was good but the cheddar itself slightly overpowers the smoke taste.

The jack cheese and the Bergeron were really good. I wouldn't change a thing.

The gouda was fantastic. It's a winner all the way and I will do lots of this in the future.

I have other cheeses to try that still need a couple weeks in the fridge to mellow the smoke out but so far the gouda is king.

Well Sir...
This and that treat I received in the post has me very anxious to get my Butt in gear to experiment with "The Old Bradley".
Your little package sat on the counter for better part of a hour with The Dog's nose twitching around it.. It was wrapped well enough that my old sniffer never picked up on the treat that layed inside...
Very much enjoyed your handy work with "The Meaty Variety".. Both Dearest E and I devoured the contents rapidly..
I tried pouring out the remaining articles of the envelope hoping to find a Frosty PBR...:Doh!:

Thank You Sir with your Timely response to my Predicament..:Here's To Ya:

I am Beholden ......:victorious:

Banned #29

Leaseman

Have you found cheddar needs longer than others mike?
Cheddar would take longer to get a good smoke....but I think it would become too over powering!! I like a lighter smoke it gets on 2+ hours of apple

I did three varieties at once, all will be great! small wink

They go fast when you put them out! Fun to put some regular out with the smoked and see it is the stuff left at the end!! :highly_amused:

Also some like more smoke while others like less....doing different cheese types gives you different smoke flavors, depths......

Thread starter #30

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Randy,

I'm glad you likes the treats I sent along with the needed part for your reel. Be careful with your screwdriver next time. small wink

Sorry about the PBR, but the only smoking and dehydrating involving that golden nectar is a nice Cuban, my cousin brings back of his trips there and how I feel the next morning.

Well Sir...
This and that treat I received in the post has me very anxious to get my Butt in gear to experiment with "The Old Bradley".
Your little package sat on the counter for better part of a hour with The Dog's nose twitching around it.. It was wrapped well enough that my old sniffer never picked up on the treat that layed inside...
Very much enjoyed your handy work with "The Meaty Variety".. Both Dearest E and I devoured the contents rapidly..
I tried pouring out the remaining articles of the envelope hoping to find a Frosty PBR...:Doh!:

Thank You Sir with your Timely response to my Predicament..:Here's To Ya:

I am Beholden ......:victorious:

Thread starter #34

philcott

Mucho Gusto
2 hours and 20 min.

watch the temp and keep it no higher than 90 deg F or the oils will start to weep out of the cheese and your cheese might ooze through your racks.

Banned #35

Leaseman

Make sure you rest the cheese for a 4 weeks to let the smoke infuse into the cheese. It's darn good.
Seal it tight and a minimum of 4 weeks...will stay good over a year is stored properly.......:kewl:

Thread starter #38

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'm reviving this thread since I did up another batch of cheese last night. 6 different types went into the Bradley using my cold smoking attachment. The attachment worked like a hot... I mean ...cold damn. I monitored the temp inside and it hovered around 70F for the whole time. So it's all wrapped up and in the fridge and all I have to do is wait a month. Luckily, I made this batch with 7 or 8 hunks of my previous batch still to go. It's looking like I might have smoked cheddar on the burgers to celebrate July 4th for the Americans in my clan.

I didn't take pics since they are pretty boring after doing it twice before. Just scroll up to see pics of smoked cheese.

Banned #39

Leaseman

I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WERE GETTING ANY USE OUT OF IT!! small wink

Sometimes it does get addicting!!:Black Eye:

Thread starter #41

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, it's a box that you attach the control unit to that has a 2 ft. flex hose (about 5 inches in diameter) that runs top the smoker. This allows the heating element to be outside the smoker and not effect the temperature in the smoker itself. Pretty slick unit Mike told me about.

I can lend it to you sometime if you want to do some cheese.

Banned #48

Leaseman

Dru, let me know if you'd like to use the cold smoke attachment.
Charge him rent Phil! :highly_amused:

Some good home cure might fit the bill.......small wink

While I have the attachment, I do most of my cheese in winter and haven't had to use it much....yet!

If you haven't done cheese before Dru, biggest thing is make sure you double wrap it in saran wrap and let it sit for 6 weeks minimum....it needs time for the smoke to get deep in the cheese......we just had a couple of pieces that I held from last YEAR! Was great!

Did some spicy pieces for Denise the end of October....will be trying them in another few weeks!:Oh Yeah!:

Dru

This IS My Life
Mike,

I did a bunch last year. it melted a bit because I "multitasked" .... but I have 6 bars of cheddar I will be doing here really soon... at night in the cold..
last time I heeded your advice about letting it sit... but we chryovaced it instead of saran wrap.... it was very tasty stuff, so tasty 6 of the bars came from my aunt! she wants me to smoke them... so I bough 3 more for myself.
I watch the cheese sales, every now and again it goes on sale for the big bars......

I was going to smoke it for 2 hours and have a bowl of ice on the bottom rack to keep it extra cold... night time temps are 1-2 deg if not colder...

Banned #50

Leaseman

Mike,

I did a bunch last year. it melted a bit because I "multitasked" .... but I have 6 bars of cheddar I will be doing here really soon... at night in the cold..
last time I heeded your advice about letting it sit... but we chryovaced it instead of saran wrap.... it was very tasty stuff, so tasty 6 of the bars came from my aunt! she wants me to smoke them... so I bough 3 more for myself.
I watch the cheese sales, every now and again it goes on sale for the big bars......

I was going to smoke it for 2 hours and have a bowl of ice on the bottom rack to keep it extra cold... night time temps are 1-2 deg if not colder...
Cryovac probably speeds up the process quite well! :Oh Yeah!:

I also turn mine over at the one hour mark......

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom