Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Comfort/memory food!

Thread starter #1

Leaseman

I've Been REALLY Bad - I apologize to everyone.
Seems I am on a food kick!!

What things do you eat that bring back old (even childhood) memories??

Balogna sandwiches is one for me....having one right now!

Stew is another one, but had too many as a youth! :disgust:

What gets your memory going?? :popcorn:

russm86

My moms Swedish (well technically Finnish) meatballs or meatloaf, of course both with gravy and mashed taters... Probably my favorite as well...

Finaddict

As a kid I loved Bologna and barbeque sauce sandwiches......not sayin it was good....... jus sayin.....:biggrin-new:

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
Cold Cherry Soup... image.jpeg
Greek Pumpkin Pie... image.jpg
Pan Fried Porkchops in olive oil with Dear Dads touch... Pepper, garlic power and oregano..... image.jpeg

Last edited:

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Mom's recipe called "cheap n' good".

Basically macaroni, cheddar cheese, canned tomatoes and ground beef (or whatever red meat is on hand). Some oregano and salt and pepper for seasoning.

wideopenthrottle

So are french fries, escargots, belgian waffles, and many others.................:rolleyes:

Now a hearty bowl of beef borscht with a dollop of sour cream, and a suitable amount of crusty bread sounds good right about now...:Yee Ha:
My mom's mom is Ukrainian ( still alive in her 90's) and her dad was English so the cooking was a combo of awesome fats and flavours with (generally) overcooked meat and vegetables...For me, perogies or pedaheh as we called them boiled then fried in butter topped with sateed onions and bacon bits drowning in sour cream is PURE SOUL FOOD!!!

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
When I am fishing PBJ(on white, no butter) and hard boiled eggs. That was my Dad's lunch of choice for the boat.

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Potato Soup. My mom made it growing up. Still a comfort to me when I'm sick. little dash of pepper in it and some salt. Best thing on earth in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

And oddly enough her Tuna Casserole!

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
I used to like pan-fried smelts that mom did. She fried them skin-on and crispy.

She also used to make a very simple dessert. She'd core apples (probably the older ones - but who noticed) and then just wrap them in pastry. Bake them in the oven until done. Then she'd heat brown sugar in a pot or pan until it melted, making a cheap and tasty drizzle for over the baked apples. Man, those were good.

I miss my mommy! : :

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
My memory food is sh*t on a shingle.

Mom used to make it for us. A change from cow tongue for dinner.
It was creamed peas, creamed eggs, and creamed beef, on toast, IIRC.

Fella

Tall as a mountain thin as a pine
Grandmas green bean soup. Green beans, farmer sausage and potatoes seasoned with fresh "summer savoury". Also borscht, and "faspa" which was our traditional Sunday evening meal- fresh made yogurt buns or svibok, cold cuts, cheese and pickles.

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
Some combinations just should not be tried, invented, or spoken about.... :beaten:

...kinda like sardines on toast..... :disgust:
Sort of but I like the concept .... I like mine right out of the can but chase then with some fresh white bread and cold water.. Family tradition..:Oh Yeah!:

Problem is now I have to fight the dog every time I open a can... Had to buy him some dried "Dines" just so I can enjoy mine in peace..:Heh, heh, heh:

Fowl Language

SIR Dale, The Gander Commander CERTIFIED CB PIG
start with oyster stew. then fresh barbequed fraser river spring salmon , new potatoes, jim,s baked beans. nothing finer in my humble opinion

Thread starter #35

Leaseman

My grandmothers wieners and rice....man....soooo good, from the depression era, dirt cheap to make, tastes so good!:Oh Yeah!:

BCROB

Modifier........
My grandmothers wieners and rice....man....soooo good, from the depression era, dirt cheap to make, tastes so good!:Oh Yeah!:
remember all to well and I don't have to go back to 30's to so , my dad's specialty raising 6 kids was mac an cheese and cut up wieners added on pay day !! ah yes the good 'ol days :rolleyes:

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Sourkraut with smoked venision in it, with a side of boiled spuds. And Home made cinnamon buns with raisins....favorites from my childhood for sure. Then there is tomato macaroni, and bakalar [spelling?] and pumpkin pie...always loved pumpkin pie!

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
In used to make three kinds of smoked sausage while working at Ted's Meat Market (in Parskville). He showed me how he cut up four or five spuds into a pot, just about (but not quite) covered them with water, layered in an inch or so of Sauerkraut, and then laid a smoked sausage on top of everything.

Bring to a boil, cook the spuds while heating up the kraut and sausage, and the drain everything. Put the kraut and spuds into a bowl, add a dollop of sour cream and a pat of butter - mash it all together and then make patties out of the mixture. Pan fry the patties in butter and serve them hot right beside the cut up smoked sausage. A side dish of sour cream completed this treat.

Thread starter #41

Leaseman

In used to make three kinds of smoked sausage while working at Ted's Meat Market (in Parskville). He showed me how he cut up four or five spuds into a pot, just about (but not quite) covered them with water, layered in an inch or so of Sauerkraut, and then laid a smoked sausage on top of everything.

Bring to a boil, cook the spuds while heating up the kraut and sausage, and the drain everything. Put the kraut and spuds into a bowl, add a dollop of sour cream and a pat of butter - mash it all together and then make patties out of the mixture. Pan fry the patties in butter and serve them hot right beside the cut up smoked sausage. A side dish of sour cream completed this treat.

You just made my mouth water!!:kewl:

now that sounds good, but I can feel a few pounds being added on by eating that!! :Doh!:

Bow Walker

TROUBLE SHOOTER.
It's like Lobster - once in a long while won't kill ya.....small wink

I can tell you from experience that it is a treat for sure. Rich? Absolutely, but damn it's good!

Steelwheels

YIAYIA’s Homestead
There are some smells that don't agree with me.. Eggs frying in a pan is one..
I remember waking up as a youth around 03:00 to the smell of Dear Dad making himself a Fried Egg sandwich ..:disgust:
Eggs for me have to be poached, boiled or scrambled...

shuswapbear

Long-Time Member
For me its every time I hit the coast and stop in White Rock for my fix at Moby Dicks on marine drive. When I was younger we lived down there and had chish and fips every second friday or so.

Thread starter #47

Leaseman

The smell of my Mom's baking powder biscuits.......:kewl:...some with cheese, some plain, straight out of the oven, spread soft butter and enjoy!! Great too, toasted!!

I was never able to make them the same.....:Doh!:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom