Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Chalk one up for the old guy...

Thread starter #1

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Many people, all right, most people have gone along and succumbed to big business and governmental pressures
to communicate, buy licenses etc, and pay their bills "online" rather than do so personally or through the mail.
While I agree it's more convenient,, and for the companies and government, it's cheaper, I don't trust the security
of it, nor am I that comfortable in doing all my business affairs via computer. Consequently when I recently received
notice that I would no longer receive my monthly billings from Telus and would have to rely on emails to view them,
including having pressure put on me to also pay them "online", have direct billing, or agree to pre-billing, I saw red
and sent them a few blunt responses of my displeasure. Lol and behold! I received an apology and reassurance that
I will continue to receive my bills through the mail as I'm used to. Chalk one up for the old guy!

KH4

i'll preface this with the fact that I'm not trying to be a dink, just wanted to converse!

Is it the potential security issues around e-mail or the feeling that paper mail is more secure?

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
IMO prepayed bills and invoices via email just serve the supplier with no cost savings passed on to the consumer as well as extra costs if you want to print them.
Its about customer service for me. Good for you Big Lew!

Thread starter #4

Big Lew

This IS My Life
i'll preface this with the fact that I'm not trying to be a dink, just wanted to converse!

Is it the potential security issues around e-mail or the feeling that paper mail is more secure?
I admit that I'm a stubborn old phart, but I am paranoid about using the internet for money related
transactions. I tried the 'online' billing once and because I don't use the computer, especially checking
for email communication, on a daily basis, I missed my payment date because once I read it which
had the paying date deadline a couple of weeks away, forgot about it. My paper bills are arranged in
order to be paid right in front of me on my desk so there's very little chance I will forget them.

KH4

I used to do a hybrid where I received either paper or e-mail bills and then manually paid them via bank transfer or credit card. I wanted to review the bills before paying due to errant charges, etc. Then, I went on a trip and forgot the whole lot, so I went to automatic withdrawals either directly from bank account or Visa. I found that the constant though in the back of my mind created low levels of anxiety "did I pay it?" etc. I was worried about losing the review and check period, but they send you the bill and the auto payment usually happens 30+ days later, plenty of time to call and gripe.

My Visa also has zero fault fraud protection, so I don't worry about anyone stealing from that.

There's definitely a generational difference between those who are used to paying bills at the bank and post office versus those who do it on their phones while waiting at the bus stop!

I just find it all interesting how different generations go above the same things differently, more of a humanities interest!

By the way, while I am lumped in with 'Millennials' I am at the far fringe of it and feel that a multi-generational moniker is not fair. I grew up when cell phone were giant bricks or limited to cars, opposed to other millenials who were born with a cellphone in their hand.

Thread starter #6

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I used to do a hybrid where I received either paper or e-mail bills and then manually paid them via bank transfer or credit card. I wanted to review the bills before paying due to errant charges, etc. Then, I went on a trip and forgot the whole lot, so I went to automatic withdrawals either directly from bank account or Visa. I found that the constant though in the back of my mind created low levels of anxiety "did I pay it?" etc. I was worried about losing the review and check period, but they send you the bill and the auto payment usually happens 30+ days later, plenty of time to call and gripe.

My Visa also has zero fault fraud protection, so I don't worry about anyone stealing from that.

There's definitely a generational difference between those who are used to paying bills at the bank and post office versus those who do it on their phones while waiting at the bus stop!

I just find it all interesting how different generations go above the same things differently, more of a humanities interest!

By the way, while I am lumped in with 'Millennials' I am at the far fringe of it and feel that a multi-generational moniker is not fair. I grew up when cell phone were giant bricks or limited to cars, opposed to other millenials who were born with a cellphone in their hand.
Yes, there are safe ways to go about dealing with bills...and for me, that's where the 'stubborn part' comes
in effect, lol! I insist on paying restaurant bills with cash even when the business prefers plastic for not only
the same stubborn reason, but so that my tips go directly to whom they're intended rather than the owner.
I grew up during a time when there were no computers or wireless phones so I've witnessed one heck of a
lot of change in a relatively short period of time. I can imagine the difficulty my previous generations had
in adjusting to the times...our kids will be involved with even more radical changes where the computer will
be a necessary and vital part of everything they do, even directing how to go about their daily lives. People are
already using these computerized prompts the like of "Alexis" for that very thing.

KH4

Yeah, there's definitely a line that is getting crossed with the digital personal assistants and smart phones listening in, and Google in general, some 1984 stuff! I have been a victim of some sort of listening as my wife and I were talking about a specific thing that we never talk about, never searched in the computer, nothing, and the next time I opened a browser there was a targeted ad for this item. Something had to have been listening!

gunseller

I prefer to write checks. One reason is I don't want the whole world knowing my business. With all the data mining and storage of everything you do on line I like my privacy a little. I know every key stroke I do here and other places is recorded. I used to work for a university running the largest computer teaching lab on campus so I know a little about computers. Too many hackers that know more than the ones writing the programs that can get to my money or credit card info for my liking.
Steve

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
Yes, there are safe ways to go about dealing with bills...and for me, that's where the 'stubborn part' comes
in effect, lol! I insist on paying restaurant bills with cash even when the business prefers plastic for not only
the same stubborn reason, but so that my tips go directly to whom they're intended rather than the owner.
I grew up during a time when there were no computers or wireless phones so I've witnessed one heck of a
lot of change in a relatively short period of time. I can imagine the difficulty my previous generations had
in adjusting to the times...our kids will be involved with even more radical changes where the computer will
be a necessary and vital part of everything they do, even directing how to go about their daily lives. People are
already using these computerized prompts the like of "Alexis" for that very thing.
I'm with you, I like cash. It means I can always eat when the credit card machine goes down!

Top Bottom