Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

BOATS and BIRDS.....

Thread starter #1
N

NAHMINT

So after a kinda hot uncomfortable day.....1 hr.work,then lots of water and a dip in the ''cool'' pool, wife says,WIND HAS DROPPED,. Lets go run the boat down on BRANNEN LAKE....
I figure, why not and get ready.... as I check my winch and see that the clip on cable to boat is functioning, a friggen BIRD flies out of winch housing .gets in a tree and starts ''beaking off'':WHAT?:wtfe
, then I see it has a NEST with 2 eggs ........end of boating until I figure out plan ''c'; ..plan A was avoid going to lake,plan B to suck it up and go....

Leaseman

I've Been REALLY Bad - I apologize to everyone.
Well there's two things I notice....
first, it's obvious you should be using the boat more often, and second, it shows the
TOUGH OLD GUY HAS A REALLY SOFT AND COMPASSIONATE HEART after all, lol!

You talking about Nahmint or yourself Dave?? :Heh, heh, heh: .... :Hi:

Thread starter #6
N

NAHMINT

Well there's two things I notice....
first, it's obvious you should be using the boat more often, and second, it shows the
TOUGH OLD GUY HAS A REALLY SOFT AND COMPASSIONATE HEART after all, lol!
No,my wife IS a GIRL and she can be DISAGREEABLE ,She just likes birds :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::No need to say more

Thread starter #7
N

NAHMINT

[QUOTE="358win, post: 320338, member: TIGER, bless his heart, would fry the eggs and boil the nest for soup !!!!!!:Hungry:

Heyblast

Heads up, DAN, I ain't no softy !!!!!!! IF that bird is STILL THERE in 3 weeks, I will do SOMETHING!!!:Maybe::Oh Yeah!:
Still two eggs, if so then you might be good in three weeks. If there's more now it's still laying, two weeks to hatch and two weeks to fledge. That's pretty much time period for most small birds. You might have to do something.

Thread starter #12
N

NAHMINT

Still two eggs, if so then you might be good in three weeks. If there's more now it's still laying, two weeks to hatch and two weeks to fledge. That's pretty much time period for most small birds. You might have to do something.
Heyblast, I ALREADY got it figured !!!!!!!!! i'll just buy another boat.........just don't tell the wife.........

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Someone I know intimately and his brother, bonafied hillbillys, decided to test an old
English fable so acquired a number of blackbirds, de-breasted them, and fried them
to see if they were worthy of being baked in a pie. Those 2 youths decided it wasn't
something they would like to eat...possibly because frying them in a pan over a cookfire
without copious amounts of butter didn't do them justice. And yes, it does take one heck
of a lot of birds to make a decent meal, especially for growing boys....they hadn't nearly
enough except to be used as hos d'oeuvres. lol!

Thread starter #17
N

NAHMINT

Sounds like CITY KIDS !!!!....... wife said she watched a little of that ALONE show, the REAL EXPERTS were eating cooked leeches !!!!!!! w.t.f. and me ,like a fool ,feasted on night crawlers and fat termites.... Blackbirds , dam, why blackbirds when they could have used sky rats or the old ''stand-by''cormorants....!!!!! and the pie crust,:Na-ahh::Behave::Don't Go There:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Sounds like CITY KIDS !!!!....... wife said she watched a little of that ALONE show, the REAL EXPERTS were eating cooked leeches !!!!!!! w.t.f. and me ,like a fool ,feasted on night crawlers and fat termites.... Blackbirds , dam, why blackbirds when they could have used sky rats or the old ''stand-by''cormorants....!!!!! and the pie crust,:Na-ahh::Behave::Don't Go There:
That same fellow and his brother took a survival course which included eating worms, termites, grubs, and a lot of
various tubers and vegetation. They also tried muskrat, squirrel, and local carp....except for some of the tubers and
vegetation, none of which would be found on their dietary list unless they were extremely hungry. It has been said
that muskrat tastes like chicken, well, it must have been a really old and nasty bird!

Thread starter #19
N

NAHMINT

DAVE,
Where to begin with MUSKRAT,:Maybe:
Well, they:stinky:!!!!!!!(Stink)
in 1961, bought my $1.10 that's ONE DOLLAR and 10 cents for a province of QUEBEC trappers licence ...covered ALL fur bearers in the WHOLE province from the U.S BORDER SOUTH to the ONTARIO border west, to the NORTH-WEST TERRITORIES IN THE NORTH.to the ATLANTIC ocean in the east......

the few ;RATS' I caught and skinned soon taught me that TRAPPING is a whole lot of WORK and EXPERIENCE......sold several RATS to an old fellow who stewed them......with turnips and onions......:stinky::stinky::stinky: NO,THEY DO NOT SMELL,LOOK OR TASTE LIKE ANY CHICKEN THAT EVER WALKED THIS EARTH. beaver,which there was none where I lived, is actually awesome....like beef !!!! had we beaver in MY territory,they would have been put on the ENDANGERED LIST by now and I would be rich...

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
If you're actually really hungry, stewing everything is going to give you
much more energy than frying. Frying on the other hand, especially if you
burn it a bit, kills a lot of the unpleasant taste when chewing it down...the
after taste is still there though. I have a goodly collection of books on edible
vegetation, some of it I've tried and found to be reasonable in taste, some not so.
We as a spoiled and wasteful community in the main stream of Canada complain
far too much about our cultured and prepared food fare. It would be a sad and
rude awakening indeed if we had to resort to forging off the wilds.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
That same fellow and his brother took a survival course which included eating worms, termites, grubs, and a lot of
various tubers and vegetation. They also tried muskrat, squirrel, and local carp....except for some of the tubers and
vegetation, none of which would be found on their dietary list unless they were extremely hungry. It has been said
that muskrat tastes like chicken, well, it must have been a really old and nasty bird!
MMM blackbirds, sky rats squirrel and muskrat.

gg.jpg

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
if i lived on the rock i would be frogging you have those american bull frogs....mmmm frog legs . and those big black tree rats should be good eating .
We had an OOOPS litter of Springer Goldens. A male went to our friends up the street. Thaat dog is a reall frogger. Goes into the swamps and ponds and retrieves bull frogs. No shortage of frog legs in Cedar, don't even need a ne and waders lol. Skin, dredge in flour, dip in milk/egg wash, then re-dip in panko deep fry MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

:Hungry:

Top Bottom