Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Biltong - Anybody experienced in making it?

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I keep hearing about it, and want to make it, but am trying to figure out a good space to make it. Living in a condo I don't have a garage, but I do have patio with a deck above me I can hang stuff from the underside. There's not any great ways I can come up with to get a fan blowing on it, and I"d be inclined to use a game bag or something to cut down on bugs, but that will reduce airflow more. Any brilliant ideas?

It is definitely not a hard thing to do Steve. The biggest problem for the home user/maker of biltong is getting the pieces cut properly after they are well marinated and dried.

Galloping Goose Sausage Company (link) - GALLOPING GOOSE - make a very, very good version of biltong. As a matter of fact, he has n original cutting machine that was brought with him when he immigrated.

Thread starter #4

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I just googled it and I found a thing called a Biltong Box. I also found a recipe that you can do in the oven. I have never made that stuff but I have done jerky in the oven.
I saw the biltong box, but figured it's a quick way to get myself on the wife's (--) list, building more things that we need to store :p

It is definitely not a hard thing to do Steve. The biggest problem for the home user/maker of biltong is getting the pieces cut properly after they are well marinated and dried.

Galloping Goose Sausage Company (link) - GALLOPING GOOSE - make a very, very good version of biltong. As a matter of fact, he has n original cutting machine that was brought with him when he immigrated.
Thanks for the tip Dan, I'll definitely check out their stuff before I get too carried away getting myself set up to make it.

Thread starter #7

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Can't say I've heard of Moosemeat and Marmalade. It was on an Anthony Bourdain thing I was watching the other day, and it's randomly come up in non cooking/game related stuff too.

Thread starter #10

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Why not both?!
On multi-day hikes I get sick of dried fruit/nuts/jerky it's always nice to have more variety.
From what I gather depending on how the billtong is done, it can be less dry, and less salty than jerky, with a more meaty flavour, which all sounds good to me!

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Can't say I've heard of Moosemeat and Marmalade. It was on an Anthony Bourdain thing I was watching the other day, and it's randomly come up in non cooking/game related stuff too.
it is a show about a brit chef (Dan Hayes who resides/has a restaurant in Victoria) and a native guy (Art Napoleon-self porclaimed bush chef)....they do shows in Canada as well as ones in Britain...It has a fair bit of humour and my wife is British so we enjoy the show together....I am going to try the Jamacan Jerk goat with some of the last of my deer meat (currently thawing) in the next couple of days

check out GUNSITE SOUTH AFRICA......... the BOERS (DUTCH) have a great hunting sight and as NOG said,its THEIR form of jerky... some have a room dedicated to its making.....
glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not both?!
On multi-day hikes I get sick of dried fruit/nuts/jerky it's always nice to have more variety.
From what I gather depending on how the billtong is done, it can be less dry, and less salty than jerky, with a more meaty flavour, which all sounds good to me!
If I remember correctly - it is a bit softer to chew as compared with the jerky that we are familiar with. AND - less salty too. different flavor profile with the coriander and seasonings.

Thread starter #17

stevo911

Long-Time Member
If I remember correctly - it is a bit softer to chew as compared with the jerky AND - less salty too.
Those are two big selling points for me. Plus I love coriander!

That would be greatly appreciated if you could post that stuff up Spy!

Last edited:
From the Galloping Goose Sausage Co. website...
BILTONG - Traditional Southern African jerky. Marinated in cloves, allspice, coriander and sherry to enhance the natural beef flavour.
I remember Johan (the owner) hanging the chunks right in the prep room (off to one side) and setting up a regular home-type fan on low speed so that it blew a nice breeze over the meat. Dried in a couple days....

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Sure do give me a day or two to dig it out and I will give instructions on how to hang aswell...
I'll be checking this thread for your recipes when I get back from the North Buddy!
Just a friendly little reminder for now...
Should give you damn near three weeks to get it together... :ROFL:

Cheers,
Nog

Top Bottom