Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Anyone use an Instant Pot.......

Thread starter #1
or other electronic pressure cooker?

I had no idea how many different companies are making them!!

Looking to get pick one up, but still not 100% sure it is for us.

Cheers

SS

stevo911

Need A Life
The instant pot /electronic pressure cookers have certainly taken off in popularity, and gained a bit of a cult following. I've been thinking about it as you can do some neat stuff with them, BUT it's kind of like a slow cooker in that you'll never get the cruchy exterior or anything, so I'll probably end up sticking to the oven/stove/crock pot combo.

IMO from what I've seen of it (have a few friends who love them) it's for people who don't have the patience (or time) to cook a solid meal, or those who are satisfied with a one-note/good enough type meal.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
well I have to say I just received this new Instant Pot gadget for my birthday. It can do a great many things in a very fast amount of time, and as much fun as it is to play with I still love my traditional ways. Except for my sous vide....... now that amazes me and is so worth the money my kidlet paid for it. The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker is very well suited for a family on the go.... I needed this thing about 20 years ago... could have saved my kids from the drive thru runs on the way to hockey and dance.

stevo911

Need A Life
Well I guess I'm going to have to eat some crow (at least I can cook it fast :D ).

My slow cooker kicked the bucket (or at least the ceramic insert for it did) and the 6qt instant pot ultra was on sale at the same time. This thing is pretty slick, made 2 batches of chicken bone-broth, and super tender salsa verde beef (out of tough stewing meat) in an short afternoon yesterday. Usually I have to simmer my chicken carcasses for the better part of a day to get everything broken down this well....

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I have a standard 8 qt pressure cooker and I don't really understand the hype about these Instant Pots. Seems like a new twist on a very old idea and the biggest difference is they have a timer. Pressure cookers are so damned fast that a timer seems unnecessary. My stove has a timer, and I have clocks all over the house.

On the other hand, my mom loves her Instant Pot - so maybe there is something about it that I just don't "get".

stevo911

Need A Life
It's basically an induction powered pressure cooker/slow cooker hooked up to a computer.
It can sense rate of temperature change (I assume by the rate of change in the thermostat) etc... and adjust cooking accordingly/automatically (IE for rice once the water is all absorbed), and turn the pressure cooker portion on/off so it's more automatic/way more control, without any babysitting.

My beef/liquid was up to full pressure well before my stovetop (coil element) would have had a similar size pot boiling.

Top Bottom