Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

A Trapper's warning!

Thread starter #1

Big Lew

This IS My Life
We're entering into that time of year when traps will be set, sometimes where people might allow their
pets to roam about. I just returned from the Central Cariboo where my dog and I hiked about near sloughs,
ponds, and lakes as we scouted for possible places to hunt waterfowl. Although I allow my dog to be off
leash, I keep him close when around the sloughs etc where traps are likely to be set.
What I found disturbing was the lack of posted signage...I saw only one in the many miles of little used roads
and tracks I traveled, and it was very inconspicuous at only about 10"x 15" in size and not that close to the road.
So in conclusion, please be mindful that traps will be out there.

Myself and a couple other fellows I knew back east always hung a piece of colored rag about 6-7 feet high near our traps......but then,the locals were aware of the traps and few if ANY would walk their dogs ...hell,they just ran loose....
my ex. (Daughters mother) lived in ALASKA for 8-10 years....their property bordered DENALI......Her dog ''disappeared'' for several days and it was miles from their house when they found her in a wolf snare........somehow she survived and now lives happily in her new home in FLORIDA.....swims every day in the ocean.......Some stories have happy endings...
Chris Mc CANDLESS(spelling) did not fare as well as the dog........just 30 miles away.

We're entering into that time of year when traps will be set, sometimes where people might allow their
pets to roam about. I just returned from the Central Cariboo where my dog and I hiked about near sloughs,
ponds, and lakes as we scouted for possible places to hunt waterfowl. Although I allow my dog to be off
leash, I keep him close when around the sloughs etc where traps are likely to be set.
What I found disturbing was the lack of posted signage...I saw only one in the many miles of little used roads
and tracks I traveled, and it was very inconspicuous at only about 10"x 15" in size and not that close to the road.
So in conclusion, please be mindful that traps will be out there.
Thanks for that reminder.

A few years back we came across a beaver in a conibear struggling as it was only caught by the foot. Otherwise we would never have known that a trapper was working that section of water.

This was in an area I have hunted waterfowl in regularly for 20 plus years. There were no signs or any indications a trapper was active in that area.

It would not have gone well if one of my dogs had got caught given the lack of warning provided. I'm much more careful now.

The other side of the problem is that IF trappers were to "advertise" that they had traps in the area or if they flagged their traps then the inevitable would surely happen - that inevitability that their traps would either "disappear" or be tampered with by the antis....

I can see both sides of the issue here, and both sides are valid. The solution (one that satisfies both sides) is going to be a hard one to find.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
As you say, trappers have issues with advertising their traps and like other situations it is important that pets are under control when in the woods...they put choking hazard/suffocation warnings on the plastic bags that are inside boxes of merchandise.....I guess it is arguable who needs to take responsibility more.....

Thread starter #8

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I think a general warning large enough to be noticed by the public should be posted
at the entrance to specific areas. I say this as more and more of the recreational public
are now using the back country and are not aware that traplines still exist. I don't advocate
that the precise spot traps are set should be posted or identified though because of the
real issue of theft and vandalism. I also believe dog owners should have control of their
animals, but I think it's unrealist and unfair to the dogs to expect those that do not be allowed
to let their dog off leash. Many don't obey 'leash only' laws in their city parks and walkways as it is.

As you say, trappers have issues with advertising their traps and like other situations it is important that pets are under control when in the woods...they put choking hazard/suffocation warnings on the plastic bags that are inside boxes of merchandise.....I guess it is arguable who needs to take responsibility more.....
It's pretty hard, when your hunting upland game to have a hunting dog that's searching for a bird to flush, to be aware of where he is at all times. Many times the dog goes out of sight to check something out if there is scent.....that's what hunting dogs do.

I'm all for dog control but the trapper needs to make people aware (with proper, visible signage) that there are traps in the area.

Both parties need to take responsibility for the safety of domestic animals.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
When people interest countless hours and $ in their gundogs they generally don't let them just run, but as LG says they need to be given room to do their jobs, A big noticeable sign saying traps in the area posted in a couple of key locations would be a big help iv not the total answer. There are some good videos on The Youtube releasing your dog from traps that are worthwhile watching.

Thread starter #12

Big Lew

This IS My Life
The specific small and inconspicuous sign I saw was likely put up the year before
and closer to winter when the fur would be prime. It did emphasize that there were
humane traps used, but that doesn't mean they don't kill or maim something big like
a dog. It also doesn't specify if the traps are for coyotes and wolves either which would
do in a dog. I met a fellow out for a walk not that far from that only sign. He was local
and had a big lab cross which was running loose but came to heal when called. He had
no idea someone had a trapline in the area, not had he read the sign, thinking it was a
notice of herbicide spray.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevo911

Long-Time Member
IMO it should be well advertised when you're entering a trap-line area. Trap lines are the last thing on my mind out there, and I'm a hunter, let alone someone who's just out to go for a hike/walk the dog whatever.

If my pooch were to get snapped up in a trap when there was no reasonable warning signs in the area you could count on every trap I could find in the area being found at the bottom of a lake.

Last edited:
It would be a small thing for the trappers to have to do - put up a very noticeable sign that there are traps in the area and to be watchful of your pets and yourself.

A minor change in the Regs. would do it.... :Heh, heh, heh:

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I'm surprised it isn't.
Legally you're liable if you were to booby trap your own house and someone breaking in (or the cops or a guest on your property) were injured. Trap lines essentially being booby traps but out in the public bush, I would imagine you could get the bajeesus sued out of you if someone got injured by your trap.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
IMO it should be well advertised when you're entering a trap-line area. Trap lines are the last thing on my mind out there, and I'm a hunter, let alone someone who's just out to go for a hike/walk the dog whatever.

If my pooch were to get snapped up in a trap when there was no reasonable warning signs in the area you could count on every trap I could find in the area being found at the bottom of a lake.
just try not to be too nimby (not in my back yard) as those ungulate eating canines wont cull themselves

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I've yet to pick up a copy of the Trapping regulations to read it....

Should be interesting and informative at the same time.
When trapping near recreational areas or communities, trappers should evaluate whether lethal traps are necessary at the site. It is important to remember that the landscape is utilized by a number of different user groups and that the safety of non-target species is vital to good trapline management. Warning signs should be used to inform people of trapping activities.
This is about all I see in there, no prescription on size, frequency or anything. I could see salty trappers not giving a crap about posting signage.

just try not to be too nimby (not in my back yard) as those ungulate eating canines wont cull themselves
I don't have a problem with them doing it, just have reasonable warnings in place.

like the ''shotgun only or NO SHOOTING'' areas of today........ areas that were bush,great rifle hunting areas not so long ago are now urban developments with kids and ''pets'' running everywhere............
I personally think that trapping and areas ALLOWING trapping now need to be removed from these areas and moved back to the ''wilds''. so called ''weekend trappers'' have( should) have taken the course and now think (some) they are jeremiah Johnson or John Purcell...... I'm in no way ANTI TRAPPING ...... just saying, . like I don't want someone rifle shooting across the lake from me.If I had big dogs,i sure don't want them getting trapped.....

Thread starter #21

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Most legal trapping doesn't start until October and later. I'm not being judgmental about
any aspect of trapping, or where legal trapping takes place, but it should be mandatory
that appropriately visible signage be posted to advise the public...period, it's just common
sense and the decent thing to do.

gunseller

I am surprised at the lack of knowledge about traps and trapping here. Where I am located if I had to post signs I would get all of my traps and catches stolen. If a dog has ever been tied up a snare will not hurt the dog. A snare kills by the anamel pulling and a dog that has been tied up will not pull just sit down till someone get there to release the dog. Foot traps the size for coyotes will hold a dog but not hurt their foot unless the dog is one of the small ankle bitter size. Wolf traps are bigger and might cause damage. I have trapped a lot over the years and cought hundreds of free ranging dogs. The traps have never hurt a dog. I have caught the farmers dog and the farmer never knew his dog had been cought. Cought a friend of mine dog as he was bird hunting in one of my snares. He released his dog and continued his hunt. I have my dogs get in others traps. Just a release and off we go. I do not set killer traps where I think a dog might be but in the great outdoors dogs can and will be anywhere.
Steve

Thread starter #23

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I am surprised at the lack of knowledge about traps and trapping here. Where I am located if I had to post signs I would get all of my traps and catches stolen. If a dog has ever been tied up a snare will not hurt the dog. A snare kills by the anamel pulling and a dog that has been tied up will not pull just sit down till someone get there to release the dog. Foot traps the size for coyotes will hold a dog but not hurt their foot unless the dog is one of the small ankle bitter size. Wolf traps are bigger and might cause damage. I have trapped a lot over the years and cought hundreds of free ranging dogs. The traps have never hurt a dog. I have caught the farmers dog and the farmer never knew his dog had been cought. Cought a friend of mine dog as he was bird hunting in one of my snares. He released his dog and continued his hunt. I have my dogs get in others traps. Just a release and off we go. I do not set killer traps where I think a dog might be but in the great outdoors dogs can and will be anywhere.
Steve
Well, that's very interesting. I admit that I'm not knowledgeable about the latest trapping techniques,
and I don't know if all trappers now use them or not in our province, but I do know, and have seen the
results of dogs getting caught in more traditional traps. As we have a serious wolf problem here, that's
my in concern. Traps set to catch smaller fur bearing animals, not so much. Traps set to catch and
drown beaver are another concern when hunting ducks in small ponds and sloughs.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
I have a different story.... with Breanne working at Critter Care she is exposed to traplines all the time when doing rescues and releases.... she also recieves countles animals brought into the centre with leg trap injuries and more calls from people reporting animals with leg trap injuries.... she puts herself in danger daily working with BC Wildlife, which she loves (what can I say I got a unique one in my bunch) She has a lot to say about trapping and trappers (yes she is anti trapping) please trappers she understands why y’all do it .... she just sees the otherside thru the animals that come to her and she can’t save that she has to euthanize to ease their pain from the injury of a trappers trap..... she says she has rarely seen signs stating traps or traplines in area when she is on rescues or releases..... and she goes into some places you would expect them to be.... especially the beaver and mink releases.....

And no she has never rescued an animal from a trap as that is illegal .........

Steve
I don't think anyone is advocating marking each trap but a sign indicating that active trapping is occurring in this area is not unreasonable.

A conibear trap will kill an animal in a horrible way. Leg holds I don't care about but Trappers need to be reasonable and post warnings where there is a danger to domestic animals......period.

stevo911

Long-Time Member
If a dog has ever been tied up a snare will not hurt the dog. A snare kills by the anamel pulling and a dog that has been tied up will not pull just sit down till someone get there to release the dog.
Snares are a different beast (in my uneducated opinion) with regards to at least if a dog gets caught in it when you're on a walk with it you just undo it and you're good.
Legholds or conibear traps made for wolves would instantly do a serious number on my 30lb dog, and as such reasonable warnings that they're in the area should be mandatory

Last edited:

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
I predator trapped on the ranches I worked on and owned, T understand trapping very well and it is a necessity to conservation. Snares will kill whether your dog has been tied or not, once they tighten even a bit on a dogs neck they panic and start to fight, There is a huge difference between the feel of a collar and a tight tether rope and a piece of 332 stainless wire cutting into the neck, 99% of dogs will start to fight it and snares are designed to kill quickly once that starts. We always marked out property with both No Trespassing and Predator Traps in Area signage. I know both sides of the coin and see both sides of the argument. It is no big deal to post the Predator Traps in Area sign at access point. Wolves/yotes cant read, antis still wont know where they are in the "area" and bird hunters/dog walkers will at least be aware of the hidden dangers. We all share the outdoors, a little common courtesy goes a long way on both ends.

Top Bottom