Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Your favourite crab recipes!??

Chainsaw33

Got myself a crab trap, needing your crab recipes!
Keep it simple fresh crab don't need nothing !!!
Crack them in 1/2 when there still alive ,clean out the guts , throw in a big pot of boiling clean sea water for 7 min .
Crack open a cold beer , put on a bib , cracken open and enjoy .

Steelwheels

Giddy-Up-Go
Knock off the backs.. Split in two.. Wash away the gooy stuff.. Either steam them or boil in seawater... Rinse and cool them down before eating with a Frosty Mug....or two........

Fowl Language

SIR Dale, The Gander Commander CERTIFIED CB PIG
our family has always cooked them with the shell on. let the water come to a boil ,throw them in and when it comes back to a boil 12 to 15 mins. . take em out and let them cool on their backs. try it.

Thread starter #10

Fella

Tall as a mountain thin as a pine
Brought three keepers home, boiled in saltwater and threw in some paprika and pepper. Cracked the legs and claws and ate plain with a mug of Phillips Longboat Chocolate Porter. Paired with moose steak and a cold Asian noodle salad. Delicious!

Chainsaw33

Another great way to enjoy crab .
If you have any left after your meal , we clean up all the meat from legs and body < make sure you get all the small bone chips>
Put in bowl cover up and put in fridge overnight .
Come morning time fry up crab meat with a bit of melted butter , add 1/2 doz scrambled eggs cook up .
Just before done cover with some shredded sharp cheddar cheese ,wait till it melts.
Serve with some fresh sour dough toast , and good cup of fresh ground coffee.
Great way to start your day .

Crab is also great on the Q.

Remove the backs, split the legs n claws, wash guts off, and toss on the grill.

Liberally baste with drawn butter or garlic butter or any flavored butter of your choice.

Grill until done, enjoying a brewski or two. Then open a cold bottle of white wine, either a Sauvignon Blanc or a Pinot Gris.

Salad, crunchy bread for sopping up the juices and you're good to go.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Should not boil nor steam split crabs for any longer than 8 minutes. Takes away some of the flavor. small wink

Here's a post from many moons ago about a different method of cooking them. Turned out Most Excellent. C & P from the 2008 original:

"Anyone that knows me understands I am a sucker for a crab feed anytime. Likely amongst my very favorite seafoods, I thought I had learned just about every way there is to cook these yummies up. But, just a few days ago, Mr. Ernie Ross entertained us on the Royal Quest with a new recipe I hadn't even heard of! So, when we returned from the water yesterday, I was very pleased to see a few huge "keepers" in the traps inside Ukee harbor! Did the experiment last night, and Yup! It's a Winner!!

Here's the details:

Clean crab as per usual.
In a large skillet, add two tablespoons each of Sesame and Olive Oil, and warm to medium heat. Dump the crabs in on the oil, and use a barbee brush to ensure each piece is well coated. Toss in a fair amount of chopped up garlic clove, a squeeze or two of fresh lime, and about 1/2 a cup of good white wine. Cover, and bring the heat up to 3/4 throttle. Only let the crabs steam in this for about 4 - 5 minutes, then remove the crabs to a lidded casserole dish. Render the juice down on high heat, then toss about a cup of Thai Sweet Chili sauce in with it. Heat until quite thick, then toss the crabs back in for another 5 minutes, ensuring each piece gets well coated. Remove to casserole dish, and let sit for 5 minutes while you get everything else on the table. Remove lid and serve.

No Butter required! Somehow the flavors actually penetrate the shell quite nicely, leaving a very wonderful tasting meat inside! 'Tis a tad messy, so have lots of paper towels on hand! Goes well with a black bean / rice combo and whatever fresh greens you're into. Of course don't forget the balance of the chilled wine to quaff it down with.
"

Cheers,
Nog

I have the same problem. I have to download them from the phone to the computer and then open them up with "Paint" and rotate them, save the new file and then I can post them into a thread.

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
our family has always cooked them with the shell on. let the water come to a boil ,throw them in and when it comes back to a boil 12 to 15 mins. . take em out and let them cool on their backs. try it.
A little Garlic butter Cocktail sauce or just as they come from the shell MMMM no need to mess with perfection

One way that is really good is to mix the cooked meat with some cooked prawns or shrimp, some small diced celery, some bread crumbs, some chopped chives, and an egg (or two). A person could even add some chopped up cooked bacon...

Form them into patties about 3/4" to 1" thick and then do the wet/dry dunking and breading thingy. Then pan fry the cakes until browned nicely. Serve with some dilled mayo or some chipotle aioli and either some cold Sauvignon Blanc or a few cold amber ales....

crab-cakes-with-dill-mayonnaise-15219-1.jpg

crab cakes.jpg

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom