Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

What is everyone eating tonight!

Broke down and did a couple of NY steaks on the Q last night. They were pretty darned good, but nothing compared to BC/Alta beef.

The beef out here is of the local variety in most places - either that or it is USDA Choice beef which is not nearly as good. The local beef is like range-fed beef from BC in that it is often leaner, it is sometimes smaller, and it is a bit chewier.

I sure miss the rib eyes and striploins that I used to get at the Thrifty stores on the Island. Their AAA Stirling beef was the best.

Leaseman

retired mod
Broke down and did a couple of NY steaks on the Q last night. They were pretty darned good, but nothing compared to BC/Alta beef.

The beef out here is of the local variety in most places - either that or it is USDA Choice beef which is not nearly as good. The local beef is like range-fed beef from BC in that it is often leaner, it is sometimes smaller, and it is a bit chewier.

I sure miss the rib eyes and striploins that I used to get at the Thrifty stores on the Island. Their AAA Stirling beef was the best.
Safeway has rib eyes on sale for $6.99 a pound......sure are tasty!! The best deal I have seen is when they go on sale a couple of times a year for $4.99 a pound......only complaint I have is you do need to trim probably 10% fat........!

Problem is - there are no Safeway stores out here - and no Thrifty stores either.

Sobey's bought up Thrifty's a while ago and they haven't changed the beef program out west - but out east (at least on PEI) they are switching to strictly local beef, with the occasional bit of AAA Stirling now and again....

Sometimes (at work) we will get in some AAA beef from Alberta - that's when I make sure I get some of it for the freezer.

I sure do like my home vac-sealer machine - it has more than paid for itself over the years.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
Couple nights ago Peter asked for a steak dinner so I of course obliged:

Well had a seafood feast last night of
Halibut marinated in ginger soy and sesame oil, rice vinegar and miran then grilled..... so juicy

Lobster tails basted with black truffle oil and garlic lemon pepper ..grilled on the bbq

Crab with a mayonnaise ponzu sauce salad

Garlic parsley buttered prawns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shuswapbear

Long-Time Member
For dinner to night my wifey made me 2 of these wonderful salmon burgers. Ground salmon patties from our local grocery store dipped and breaded tenderly fried and on the bun she put a mix of sour cream and Dijon mustard on the bottom a slice havarti cheese with a leaf of lettuce and some sweet corn relish.
FB_IMG_1528508728529.jpg

Looking mighty fine Bill :Oh Yeah!:

The store had bone-in hams on for $1.00 per pound. One of the shank-half pieces had a blown cryovac seal so it was going for 50% off the regular price..... I bought it for just over $5.00 :Heh, heh, heh:

Last night I had a few slices with a simple salad of roamine lettuce, feta cheese chunks, and cherry tomatoes. :Hungry:

Top Bottom