Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

What is everyone eating tonight!

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
I used to really love "Beiners and Weans!" Still do, if truth be told.... :Oh Yeah!:

Tonight it will be some of my homemade pasta sauce and some mild italian sausages cooked up in a big pasta casserole. I'm looking for leftovers to take in to Labor....

Got our hams back from this fella yesterday:

So of course had to try one out.
Marvelous was the pronouncement!!
Incredible flavour, juicy and quite tender! Win Win! :Oh Yeah!:

I will try to remember to take a picture of the ham next time... small wink

Out for dinner tonight, but most likely a good split pea soup to use up those wonderful leftovers to follow...

Cheers,
Nog

shuswapbear

Long-Time Member
Got our hams back from this fella yesterday:

So of course had to try one out.
Marvelous was the pronouncement!!
Incredible flavour, juicy and quite tender! Win Win! :Oh Yeah!:

I will try to remember to take a picture of the ham next time... small wink

Out for dinner tonight, but most likely a good split pea soup to use up those wonderful leftovers to follow...

Cheers,
Nog
Had a bear ham my neighbor gave me and it tasted better than any pork ham I have ever had. You woulf have never onow it was bear except for the dark colour of the meat. We ended up making pulled bear sandwiches with it.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
Tonight we went low key because Peter had his company Christmas party lunch today....I made cajun chicken ceasar salad but I also made a sampling of Danish rice pudding (risengrod) which becomes the traditional Danish Christmas dessert Ris a’lmonde..... Peter had to have during his movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
One of my brothers, 2 years younger than me, has COPD quite badly which severely
restricts his physical activity. This is really sad because he loved to hunt but can't,
loves all venisons, and to be in the outdoors. Consequently I give him some venison
when I can, and I'll drive him to our place for a roast venison dinner now and then.
Last night was one of those occasions. As usual, my wife prepared a fantastic meal
of very tender roast deer, baby potatoes, carrots and asparagus cooked just right,
complimenting everything with her homemade pickled beets and real perfectly constructed
venison gravy. Of course everyone ate too much so there wasn't any room for desert.
There was just enough roast left for sandwiches today. I'm sure lucky she's such a good cook!

Had a bear ham my neighbor gave me and it tasted better than any pork ham I have ever had. You woulf have never onow it was bear except for the dark colour of the meat. We ended up making pulled bear sandwiches with it.
Used to make our own.
Then I discovered that Pete (Pete's Mountain Meats) would do the job for mere pennies a pound.
And after a few hams from the free range pork we get, decided I would never compete against his product ever again! small wink

Came time for the bear hams, and it was a no-brainer who to take them too.
Tender, juicy and wonderful flavor alright!

And that translated to an extremely great split pea soup with the leftovers last night!
Such a hit, in fact that's what we'll be having again tonight (very rare for us to double down on anything!).

Cheers,
Nog

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Love to see the use of Okra in gumbos.... not a lot of people do that anymore.

Tonight is the last of our "company" dinners. It is going to be my soon-to-be-famous Lamb Racks, asparagus, roasted potatoes, and cauliflower.

Last edited:

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
I confess that I did have a little piece of cauli - but it is mainly for my Dearest E that I cook it.

I much prefer cauliflower as a raw veggie, with a nice dip.

The lamb was perfectly cooked - juicy, red, and very tender. The baked taters (changed my mind on them) were light and fluffy - going very well with butter, s&p, and some sour cream. The vintage red was also a big hit.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Coho salmon patties with asparagus, mashed potatoes, carrots, and white cranberry juice....
my last meal until late tomorrow well after surgery. Until then it's only clear fluids, bah humbug!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Good luck Dave - many, many of us are pulling for you. :Oh Yeah!:
Thanks....I think it might be basically stint replacements this time because they just told me
my appointment is only for an hour. If they find more tumours they'll likely book for removal
later on. This has been going on now for 7 years so the admid and nurses just say. 'same old,
same old' knowing that I have the routine down pat so they don't have to bother with all the
lengthy explanations and questions.

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
Interesting Ali looks like you cut the fresh sausage first before cooking.
This particular sausage is boiled first then pan fried ..... it is Danish Medistapolse sausage recipe but with my flair added to it.....

Usually a pork sausage but when one has venison well I just have to play with meat and make it my own style

Last edited:

Steelwheels

Old Homestead
Prawn Po Boy...

IMG_1721.JPG

In the late 1800s fried oyster sandwiches on French loaves were known in New Orleans and San Francisco as "oyster loaves", a term still in use in the 21st century. A sandwich containing both fried shrimp and fried oysters is often called a "peacemaker"

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Last night was fresh Dungee, and Smoked Fresh Oysters!

YUMMY! :Oh Yeah!: :Oh Yeah!:

Tonight will be some sheep ribs I have had carefully hidden for some while now, smoked, on the BarBee, accompanied by fresh pasta and a nice Caesar salad. And of course the mandatory good red to swill it down with! small wink

Put a pix up of that if I remember before we oink out...

Cheers,
Nog

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Last night was fresh Dungee, and Smoked Fresh Oysters!

YUMMY! :Oh Yeah!: :Oh Yeah!:

Tonight will be some sheep ribs I have had carefully hidden for some while now, smoked, on the BarBee, accompanied by fresh pasta and a nice Caesar salad. And of course the mandatory good red to swill it down with! small wink

Put a pix up of that if I remember before we oink out...

Cheers,
Nog
Yer killin' me here Matt..... :Black Eye:

Love the crab - hate those sidewalk shooters....

Top Bottom