Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Venison heart recipe request

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Need A Life
We've got a couple hearts to cook up, one big, one small. Fried, grilled, baked, stuffed, let's hear it! (I'm thinking about stuffing mine or rolling it up somehow)

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Stuffed and roasted is still my favourite.

Open the heart up like a book, cut away the tubes and stringy stuff, and cut a bunch of fairly deep slices in the meat from top to bottom (increase the surface area).

Make up a stuffing with onion, celery, garlic, herbs, etc. fried in butter then poured into dry bread crumbs. Let it cool for a while.

Salt and pepper the inside of the heart, then get as much of the cool stuffing into as you can and then close it up and tie it with butcher wine.

Roast at 350 for an hour. Enjoy with mashed taters and some green veggies. I have never had anyone complain.

The only complaint that I would have about your recipe Paul is that I can't taste it from way put here.... Great way to serve it :Oh Yeah!:

Although, he may like to slice it about 1/2 inch thick and pan fry it in the grease left behind from frying up about a dozen rashers. Add some onions cook until soft and then drain all the grease. Toss in a can of low-sodium cream style soup (undiluted) and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve with those same mashed pudadders and green veggies..... spoon over the built-in gravy and you're all set. Oh - don't toss the crispy bacon into the soup gravy to simmer... :rolleyes:

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I thought the only good recipe for heart was to leave them for the yotes!? :Doh!:
Nolan. You are invited to my house for deer heart. I have no doubt you will be converted. Just give me a heads-up if you are ever in Kamloops.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet that soup would be good with some beef broth/stock for a base....
Better with homemade deer stock, would be my bet.

Last edited:
Thread starter #13

stevo911

Need A Life
I figured I should give it a solid effort at least. Liver definitely isn't for me, not gonna eat a bear heart, and my previous/first deer the heart was a casualty. I'm hoping since the heart is a muscle it will be less organs, will report back tomorrow night

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I figured I should give it a solid effort at least. Liver definitely isn't for me, not gonna eat a bear heart, and my previous/first deer the heart was a casualty. I'm hoping since the heart is a muscle it will be less organs, will report back tomorrow night
Bear heart is just as good or better than venison heart, I've discovered. I used the same stuffing method, and I left the bear fat on the outside. I've recently learned that I really like the taste of bear fat. I'm rendering a huge pot of it at home right now (started yesterday afternoon) and I used some of it to fry my eggs this morning. Delicious!

Dru

This IS My Life
heart never makes it to far in our house..... it gets sliced and fried in butter salt and pepper and eaten the night of!
mom used to stuff them.... but heart is best ( for me ) fried like I said and eaten as an Hourdevrves! lol

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I pickle my hearts but someday will try the stuffed heart recipe.
Pickling is nice, for sure. Thanks again for getting me on to that. I will definitely try it again some time. I think I have 2 more hearts in the freezer. I guess I could always make up a big jar of pickled hare hearts. Maybe throw in some garlic and/or jalapenos.

Dru

This IS My Life
heart never makes it to far in our house..... it gets sliced and fried in butter salt and pepper and eaten the night of!
mom used to stuff them.... but heart is best ( for me ) fried like I said and eaten as an Hourdevrves! lol

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Pickling is nice, for sure. Thanks again for getting me on to that. I will definitely try it again some time. I think I have 2 more hearts in the freezer. I guess I could always make up a big jar of pickled hare hearts. Maybe throw in some garlic and/or jalapenos.
Now you're talking. Throw it all together, let it sit for a few days and enjoy with a nice cold beer.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom