Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Turkey Brine

Thread starter #1

Fear No Deer

MODERATOR, Sausage King
Staff member
Somewhere Hiding From Those Wascally Geese
Well boys and gals seeming I will be away for the holidays I am having a big turkey feast tonight with all the inlaws and outlaws and some just a little insane are invited as well. I put my bird or as I call it TURKZILLA a 33 pound bird and making about 4 pounds of stuffing this morning to go in before it hits the oven. Back to my point I love doing a Turkey Brine it keeps them so much more moist, so give it a try if you already have not tried brining a Turkey, I use allrecipes website for my brine how bout you guys ? To Brine Or Not :not sure:

BCROB

Modifier........
Sounds good Chris !!! Not really in the spirit of things yet but this certainly has the taste buds goin !!
have a great dinner tonight !!

I brine our birds (chicken and duck, not a fan of turkey) in a salt, sugar, water, soya sauce recipe, then usually smoke it.

That is what we will be having on the 25th, along with homemade perogies, cabbage rolls and veggies.

Cheers

SS

Thread starter #6

Fear No Deer

MODERATOR, Sausage King
Staff member
Well Turkey turned out great but 1 1/2 hours before dinner for 16 my dishwasher thought it would be a good idea to break and flood me out:mad: anyone know a good plumber ? 10 minutes later I get a call that the Wired Monk at 60th in Surrey is getting flooded out:mad::mad: lucky enough one of the boys took care of it for me :good on ya:. Well after all the events was a great dinner with family.

Mark

We: Dry brine with just salt for 24 hours, wash and dry well, inject butter infused with garlic and deep fry the turkey. 13lb bird takes about 45min :Here's To Ya:

Fowl Language

SIR Dale, The Gander Commander CERTIFIED CB PIG
Staff member
would you be so kind as to share the recipe as my computer is so screwed up it would not go to that sight chris.

Thread starter #17

Fear No Deer

MODERATOR, Sausage King
Staff member
[h=1]Turkey Brine[/h]

• Prep
    5 m
  • Cook
    15 m
  • Ready In
    8 h 20 m

Recipe By:SHERI GAILEY
"This is a tasty brine for any poultry. It will make your bird very juicy, and gravy to die for!! This is enough brine for a 10 to 18 pound turkey."
[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • 1 gallon vegetable broth
  • 1 cup sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon crushed dried rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon dried sage

• 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon dried savory
  • 1 gallon ice water
[h=2]Directions[/h]
  • In a large stock pot, combine the vegetable broth, sea salt, rosemary, sage, thyme, and savory. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to be sure salt is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
  • When the broth mixture is cool, pour it into a clean 5 gallon bucket. Stir in the ice water.
  • Wash and dry your turkey. Make sure you have removed the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine. Make sure that the cavity gets filled. Place the bucket in the refrigerator overnight.
  • Remove the turkey carefully draining off the excess brine and pat dry. Discard excess brine.
  • Cook the turkey as desired reserving the drippings for gravy. Keep in mind that brined turkeys cook 20 to 30 minutes faster so watch the temperature gauge.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2016 Allrecipes.com
Printed From Allrecipes.com 12/21/2016

Hmm. It looks like

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I did manage to copy and paste without any help :Yee Ha:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'll be up to my elbows in turkey tomorrow afternoon. A farm where I have a goose permit does turkeys. I have been helping them process for about 5-6 years. Lots of work but I appreciate my access to the farm. I also get to take one bird home for myself.

My guess is we'll be doing around 75 birds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)