Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

Ssssmoke'n!!

Thread starter #73

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
lol Mike, I would take credit but somewhere in this web is the proof you invented it! lol.....

I will get the attachment when money stabilizes, but right now a bowl of ice will suffice!
and when I cold smoke fish I can it so it gets cooked there.... Which I have to do soon....

I am going to keep posting my smoking on this thread, because I will be able to come back to it and remember what I did! kinda like a smoke log....
I have been trying to remember what I did with the chicken breast... that was a good one.. its here in this thread...

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I used mustard on the hams I did. I'm not a mustard fan but thought the recipe calls for it so on it went. It was some of the best pork I've eaten in a long time.

Leaseman

Staff member
I used mustard on the hams I did. I'm not a mustard fan but thought the recipe calls for it so on it went. It was some of the best pork I've eaten in a long time.
I am not a fan either Phil, but have now done at least 10 pork butts using the cheap French's mustard and it adds to the finished product !! Definitely will continue as it is a nice mild flavor..... I am hard pressed to think of another binder that won't clash with the rub.....

Thread starter #78

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
looong time mike...

Basic rub
1/2 paprika
bunch of frenches dry
bunch of garlic powder
salt
white sugar
brown sugar
herbs depend on meat being rubbed.....

if its a pulled pork roast I rub the roast with ball park mustard first then apply rub to it.

post 57 is a recipy I did for pulled pork... no ballpark mustard tho

Thread starter #80

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
that is a fundamental basic about rub's Mike! that's why I only said 1/2 paprika and no other numbers....

I make mine by eyesight in a bowl, if I don't use it all it goes into a jar ... then when there is enough in the jar it becomes the next rub.....
The constant as I have read in BBQ books and saw on tv..... Keep in mind this is from the south US where BBQ is only BBQ if its cooked/smoked over coal or wood...... everything else is grill..... it is also why I have Webers in both propane and coal.... lol.......

paprika
mustard powder
salt
white sugar
brown sugar

that is the base.....

Thread starter #81

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
that is a fundamental basic about rub's Mike! that's why I only said 1/2 paprika and no other numbers....

I make mine by eyesight in a bowl, if I don't use it all it goes into a jar ... then when there is enough in the jar it becomes the next rub.....
The constant as I have read in BBQ books and saw on tv..... Keep in mind this is from the south US where BBQ is only BBQ if its cooked/smoked over coal or wood...... everything else is grill..... it is also why I have Webers in both propane and coal.... lol.......

paprika
mustard powder
salt
white sugar
brown sugar

that is the base.....

Leaseman

Staff member

paprika
mustard powder
salt
white sugar
brown sugar

that is the base.....
That is YOUR base....never have used white sugar, mustard powder or salt in any rub.....yet!

Thread starter #83

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
You should.... if you read what basic BBQ is in the South US... that is one of the fundamental starts....
A couple years ago I got right into "TRUE" BBQ.... obviously there are as many recipes out there as there is BBQ's and I have no doubt yours is fabulous! And by no means am I stuck on rubs....

Leaseman

Staff member
You should.... if you read what basic BBQ is in the South US... that is one of the fundamental starts....
A couple years ago I got right into "TRUE" BBQ.... obviously there are as many recipes out there as there is BBQ's and I have no doubt yours is fabulous! And by no means am I stuck on rubs....
Some are followers...but not me! small wink

I strictly (so far) do rubs .....marinates we do for boneless chicken thighs etc and are straight to bbq. I do have to admit I do like pork ribs with salt and pepper on both sides, wrapped in foil and left on low until the bones show well.....then a light bbq sauce and hit med-high heat for a couple of minutes to finish them off....huge hit at home when kids are over!

Bow Walker

ALWAYS LOOKING - ALWAYS DIGGING
Some are followers...but not me! small wink

I strictly (so far) do rubs .....marinates we do for boneless chicken thighs etc and are straight to bbq. I do have to admit I do like pork ribs with salt and pepper on both sides, wrapped in foil and left on low until the bones show well.....then a light bbq sauce and hit med-high heat for a couple of minutes to finish them off....huge hit at home when kids are over!

Can I be your kid? No wonder they keep coming back.... :rolleyes:

Thread starter #86

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
eff u Mike! you just got me hungry! lol........
normally I am 110% Anti foil when it comes to BBQ ... but that really makes sense to me....

I am totally against boiling ribs before BBQ ... firstly you boil out the flavour but mainly it usually turns things to damp for me..

Leaseman

Staff member
eff u Mike! you just got me hungry! lol........
normally I am 110% Anti foil when it comes to BBQ ... but that really makes sense to me....

I am totally against boiling ribs before BBQ ... firstly you boil out the flavour but mainly it usually turns things to damp for me..
I like to boil beef ribs in garlic cloves, a few onions diced, pepper corns.....wait for 3/4 inch bone to show, put in collender, mix up your favorite sauce and quick BBQ on a high heat!:Oh Yeah!:

Try the foil...unbelievable!

How many pull the membrane off on the inside of the ribs? Big difference to me on beef, smaller diff on porky pig!

Bow Walker

ALWAYS LOOKING - ALWAYS DIGGING
I used to do a cut from the bones of the cross rib roast. I'd take the meaty ones and strip away the fatty, less meaty end to show the bone. I called them Beef Wings.... Cooked the way Mike describes they would be fall-off-the-bone tender.

beef-ribs-1.jpg

Thread starter #93

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
I hit "Thanks " on that Dan...... But really I hate you! lol......

that makes me really think..... mmmm... hmmmmm?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd