Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Smokers!

Thread starter #1

Leaseman

retired mod
So who has a smoker?

What do you have?

Do you use it often?

What di you smoke?

How about sharing some recipes! Favorite for fish, type of smoke, how about ribs....tried cheese, a good smoked giuda??

Share up people!!

Bradley, going on 15 years old, still smoking.

I smoke pretty well everything: chicken (did one yesterday), duck, prime rib roasts, hams, pork roast, moose/elk/deer, ribs, fish, pepperoni, smokies, brisket....pretty well any meat or fish. I will try veggies this summer and want to do the smoke/deep fry a turkey.

Sky's the limit on what you can do with a smoker.

Cheers

SS

Bradley ...
18 years old...
Used twice...
Lost up in the Attic..
No Help..Sorry. :frown-new:

Might might have to send out a Search Party.... I have my eye on this thread : :

Last edited:
J

Jeff

sure the bradleys are good ..well actually I don't no ..never used one ....but having to buy there pucks would just tick me off ....I have a littlechief ...I use it atleast once to twice a month..i mostly do pork ...ribs and the flank meat at the end of rib cages ...soooo good ...I use saw dust as chips ...bigbully supplies me all the time with the saw dust ...I refuse to buy wood from a store ...haha ...but I love my littlechief ...just wish it was a bit bigger and got a little hotter ...a rack of ribs will take almost 30 hrs to cure ...NO COOKING ... must cure only

Yup!

This one here: http://bigshotsbc.ca/threads/6428-New-Smoker

New professional stainless hotplate & smoker thermostat control showed up yesterday. Damn near time to give her the Finishing Touches! small wink

Use it often? Around 300 to 500 pounds worth a year.

Smoke damn near everything. Fish, Sausage, Hams, Chickens, Tuna, Oysters, Ribs, Jerky, and so much more...

Have perhaps a hundred or so recipes. Name your poison! :highly_amused:

Cheers!
Nog

Thread starter #7

Leaseman

retired mod
So where did you guys start?

Recipes??

I have done jerky for decades in a drier, but never have gone all out with a smoker....

I have a Bradley digital 6 rack sitting waiting for me to start playing, but not sure where to start??

Thoughts....suggestions?

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'd be catching some of the bumper crop of sockeye expected to return to the fraser this year and load the Bradley up. I use a simple recipe of demerara brown sugar and coarse salt. 3 sugar to 1 salt for the dry brine and hickory chips for the smoke. Simple, tasty and have never had it go wrong.

Tuchodi

I have just gotten the Bradley 4 rack digital and have only used it about 3 to 4 times. Its kind of a learning trip each time. I did a nice moose roast which I smoked for 1 1/2 hr at 120 and then another smoke for 1 1/2hrs at 150 and then cooked it in the smoker for another 7 hours at 190F and it was the best roast I have ever done, it stayed very juicy and tender and the smoke flavor for me was just right not to overpowering. I use the same theory as when I smoke sausage in the fall, I only put smoke to the meat for approx 1 1/2 hrs at around 120F and then smoke for another 1 1/2 hrs at approx 150F and then finish the sausage or in this case the roast until it gets to 180F inside or with the roast until it reaches the way you like your roasts well done to rare.

So where did you guys start?

Recipes??

I have done jerky for decades in a drier, but never have gone all out with a smoker....

I have a Bradley digital 6 rack sitting waiting for me to start playing, but not sure where to start??

Thoughts....suggestions?
Mike

Google is your friend. I use basic recipes to build off of. Rubs for meat, brines for fowl and fish, different types of wood for different meats/fish/veggies etc.

A couple things to remember.

- write everything down, that way you can add or change as you try differnt things.
- Get a meat/cooking thermometer (dual type) to ensure your internal meat temp as well as your cooking temp. You want to cook slow with not a lot of heat.
- DO NOT CLEAN YOUR SMOKER!!!! once you "Season" your smoker, leave it, do not scub it clean and/or use chemicals to clean it. I wipe mine out once a year with a damp cloth.
- Do not be afraid to try different things.
- usually the fruit woods are better for fish, pork, fowl and the hardwoods for meat. I like apple, alder and Pacific Blend for fish; apple, alder and cherry for fowl; Oak, Mesquite and Crown Royal for meat. But these are just guides, I have mixed them up and other than the strong woods for fish, all have been good.

I will send you a few links to sites, but one of the best is the Bradley forum, a ton of info on there with links to other good site.

Cheers

SS

goatdancer

Tons of recipes on the 'net. Don't be afraid to experiment with the brining and the spices. Start out doing little batches and keep track of everything - how long you brine, how long you smoke, temperature, spice combinations. In no time you'll be a pro.

Joe Fehr

The Hurtin Albertan!
I've got a traeger! Everything gets cooked in it, smoked burgers, steaks, chicken breast, whole chickens, fish, pork chops, you name it.
There is tons of recipes around the Web and lots of different sites to give you a start.

To me everything is better with some smoke.
I've been contemplating Scotch eggs on the traeger too.

B

beartooth

Got a Bradley digital 4 rack for father's day gifta year ago and it's prettywonderful. Don't have to constantly baby sit it. Got good advice from this forum a year ago and strictly and religiously use a dry brine. 1 bag "demarara" and 1 cup pickling salt and I have a plastic container that takes enough salmon with the brine, and it fits in my fridge perfectly with a lid. Fills all four racks for 1 batch. Also glaze every hour with maple syrup.

B

beartooth

No. It was mentioned by some other members, but i pulled it off the "net". It's so simple and with very little fuss and mess. The last batch of salmon I did I did with a peach syrup glaze every hour. Turned out real nice.

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
SS glad you brought up the heat thing! The trick to a nice deep tasty smoked anything is a niiiiice sloooooow colder smoke. Those digital Bradley things are god like!! Throw the pucks in set the timer and walk! Saving for one right now lol. I haven't smoked anything in a while since I haven't been able to have a smoker, old apartment building I was in wouldnt let me, not even a BBQ. But hopefully I will have the 4 shelf digital soon!! I feel like this fall I will be doing a lot of smoking. And will share recipes as well as step by steps :)

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
I have loads of smoker experience..........before a really special friend gave me my Bradley, I did my smoking in a cardboard box or an old wooden box a hot plate, a coffee can, briquettes and smoking chips.............but as you can see from this picture........my Bradley has had a blow out this past fall..........although it still works when I gently place the door back on and hope it doesn't fall off onto my toes, I carefully move the trays in and out, I push the seal back into place............it does what it has to........... on my 2015 wish list is a new Bradley........BIG ULTIMATE ALL BELLS AND WHISTLES or I am happy with just same model as I have now.........Peter has done a temporary Maguiver fix for me to get through the days until we can afford a new one

once I have my smoker running.......everything becomes smoker game.....cheese, vegetables, salts, herbs, meats, fish, poultry........I think if I ate worms, I'd smoke them too

TheProvider

Need A Life
No my wife doesn't smoke. Well maybe occasionally when she goes out with her friends drinking.

I used to have a smoker and never got to play with it as much as I liked before moving. Will probably build a smoke house when we move and settle down. Jerky, fish, ribs, roasts, sausage. Would like to try smoking cheese sometime. Also would love to try making my own bacon.mmmm

K

Kudu1

I usually cut my salmon into strips about 2" wide and length of fillet.

Brine

Brown Sugar 1 cup
Salt (course) 1/4 cup
Soy sauce whole bottle (350 ml)
Table spoon Paprika
Table spoon Crushed Garlic
Table spoon Peri peri
Three liter's of warm water

layer fish in Tupperware (largest bowl you can find)

Cover fish with brine - and leave for 12 hours (this is enough brine for a whole big chief with all shelves stacked)

Start smoker with 2 pans cherry 1 pan apple and finish with one pan hickory at the 11th hour - (12 hour smoke)

Remove fish, pack into ziplock bags and freeze - before friends and neighbors try and steal it..:don't tell anyone:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dru

This IS My Life
i gotta Bradley, bought it from Moosen Gram and Big Bully
used twice got some serious plans.
love it thus far

there is a million recipies on Bradleys site.....

J

Jeff

i gotta Bradley, bought it from Moosen Gram and Big Bully
used twice got some serious plans.
love it thus far

there is a million recipies on Bradleys site.....
dru ...try pork ribs in a dry rub brine ...u will love em ....same way u would do fish or jerky ,,around 140 to160 tops on temp .....yum yum...they take along time but worth it ...and do em in the rack ...dont cut em up into individual ribs till there done ....if u want more info ...pm me

Dru

This IS My Life
That is on my list Jeff,
i have 2 massive moose roasts in the deep freeze.. i am going to make them into Jerkey next....
the other thing i am going to do,,, the same time as i do the ribs,,,, is smoked Chicken brest fo sandwitch meat

Thread starter #27

Leaseman

retired mod
okay I think I got this to go slide show.......my Bradley hard at work

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/ioarana/slideshow/Bradley Smoker
You killed it with excessive use!!!:Yikes!:

You should ask Wade for a new one, show him your old one......:popcorn:

- - - Updated - - -

okay I think I got this to go slide show.......my Bradley hard at work

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/ioarana/slideshow/Bradley Smoker
You do know yours fell off the back of a truck.......:ROFL:

Dru

This IS My Life
That stuff looks awesome Ali!
im a workin there!

how long smoke/cook and what temp do you run for a full cicken?

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
.....I think if I ate worms, I'd smoke them too...
:highly_amused: LOVE that line! :Oh Yeah!:

And from the looks of your excellent slide-show, you've pretty well smoked everything but! Awesome Gal!

Just tweaking mine up for the sausage show, so will post the odd picture as we go along...

And I'll make a point of doing just that as we get to the stack of home cured & smoked Bacon for the Provider! small wink

Cheers!
Nog

newhunterette

You killed it with excessive use!!!:Yikes!:
You should ask Wade for a new one, show him your old one......:popcorn:

- - - Updated - - -
You do know yours fell off the back of a truck.......:ROFL:
I knew you dropped it....that's why the door falls off...............does Wade have an email you can share with me................ hmmm my sweet little gift giving angel

That stuff looks awesome Ali!
im a workin there!
how long smoke/cook and what temp do you run for a full cicken?
um Dru what's a cicken? lol lol
I use my very special chicken smoking rub and I smoke for 2 hours at 160-180 ...now I smoke more than one at a time so I add about 15 extra minutes/ extra bird

:highly_amused: LOVE that line! :Oh Yeah!:

And from the looks of your excellent slide-show, you've pretty well smoked everything but! Awesome Gal!

Just tweaking mine up for the sausage show, so will post the odd picture as we go along...

And I'll make a point of doing just that as we get to the stack of home cured & smoked Bacon for the Provider! small wink
Cheers!
Nog
Nog, this year I will be smoking sausages but I really need a new smoker for that......... but I know when I see your pictures ...I will need a mop beside me YUM YUM

Dru

This IS My Life
lol ok Chicken!

so hrs and then its done or do you finnish them in the oven?
im sure i asked you this before too!

Thread starter #32

Leaseman

retired mod
Not hours Dru.....:rolleyes:

Just two (2) then 15 minutes per extra......

Just bring over your smoker and give it to Alison...sounds like you might hurt yourself the way you are talking......:ROFL:

newhunterette

lol ok Chicken!

so hrs and then its done or do you finnish them in the oven?
im sure i asked you this before too!
you shouldn't have to but again it also depends on the size of chickens you are smoking... times can vary....I have never had one be too dry even after going as long as 3 hours in the smoker....my rub makes a nice seal to keep in the juices.... I usually freeze mine and so when I "forget" to take them out of the freezer I will roast them in the oven to heat them thru....

okay if they make it into the freezer before Braydon steals them

Dru

This IS My Life
lol Thanks Ali

I have been meaning to go to Cosco and get a bunch of chickens and smoke them .... but i always wondered how long they would take.... and if people are Fully cooking them in the smoker.

newhunterette

lol Thanks Ali

I have been meaning to go to Cosco and get a bunch of chickens and smoke them .... but i always wondered how long they would take.... and if people are Fully cooking them in the smoker.
Dru, I did 60 chicken legs for Peter and Azshia's birthday party in 2013..... I rubbed and smoked those leg for 4 hours and they were completely done thru.... I had none left after the party..... I am not sure if Jeff had any but he was there lol lol I know he ate and that's where I also had pulled pork that I also smoked.......... I now have a stove smoker that I got from the Gourmet Warehouse but it's for when I want to smoke just something small ....don't have to fire up the big smoker....

my brother in law asked me to do some salmon for him....he gave me 1 salmon...I was like seriously ...you want me to fire up my smoker for 1 salmon........lol

So who has a smoker?

Yup...

What do you have?

Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault converted to Natural Gas

Do you use it often?

More often that I thought I would.

What di you smoke?

Salmon, whole chickens, chicken thighs, turkey breast roasts, ribs, pork roast, pork tenderloin

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom