Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Smoker Temps

Thread starter #1

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
So everyone talking about smoking, and I figured I would throw a $15 Kitchen-aid digital thermometer in mine to see it's temp as it isn't controllable. I have one of those True North smokers, just plug in smoker chips and "Tadda" smoked stuff...

Well currently my smoker is sitting at 187 F, been turned on for almost 2 hours. At first I couldn't get it up above 115 so I wrapped it in an emergency blanket.

So what can I do to get the temperature up to around 225? I want to smoke a roast tomorrow for dinner and everything I see keeps saying smoker temp 225-250. But if I cook it longer is 187ish warm enough to get the internal temp up to 160F that it has to be in a reasonable amount of time? Is there anything I can do, to get the smoker temp up?

Cheers.

Dru

This IS My Life
Smokers are hugely effected by outside temperature. what I do is.....

Crank the smoker on high heat and let it heat up for about 20-30 minutes...
the my remote internal thermometer and stick it in the roast.
stick the roast in the smoker and smoke for how ever long you like.
keeping the heat cranked... I start this process in the morning...
just watch the thermometer and if it isn't getting hot enough inside finish the cooking in the oven with the roast wrapped in tinfoil.

after you have hit it with the smoke, and slow cooked it all day an hour in the oven wont change a thing.....

Dru

This IS My Life
sorry too add...... if you watch "Diners drive ins and dives" those guys are smoking all day.... and in the summer that's what it took for me to do the best pulled pork you have ever eaten

Leaseman

retired mod
If you have a good sized BBQ, finish it there!!

My pulled pork goes in the smoker for roughly three hours....I then transfer it into a disposable aluminum tray and fire up the BBQ. Ours has six burners, so I just fire up one on each end and will let it go 275ish for another 8+ hours....covered

For the perfect roast....follow the link below...... best you ever will have!!

http://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2010/11/prime-time-for-revisiting-prime-rib-of.html

Enjoy! :kewl:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom