Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

Smoked Salmon Brine

Thread starter #1
B

beartooth

Anyone have a good brine recipe for salmon? I'm new to smoking and need a few pointers. Had fairly good success with my first batch.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.... Continue doing what you are doing and just tweek it.

I have been smoking salmon for many years and use a dry brine of 50% brown sugar/ 50% course salt. I tweek my recipe by sprinkling different herbs or spices on it just before smoking. I like the fact that dry brines are quick and easy.

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
If it ain't broken don't fix it.... Continue doing what you are doing and just tweek it.

I have been smoking salmon for many years and use a dry brine of 50% brown sugar/ 50% course salt. I tweek my recipe by sprinkling different herbs or spices on it just before smoking. I like the fact that dry brines are quick and easy.
Your recipe sounds just like ours, we add garlic and onion powder to the salt and brown sugar mix, it's a great recipe :encouragement:

Thread starter #4
B

beartooth

I prefer a wet brine right now and got my first recipe off the "net". It was a citrusy recipe and it was alright but not quite what I was looking for. More interested in a "candied" or maple flavour.

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
I prefer a wet brine right now and got my first recipe off the "net". It was a citrusy recipe and it was alright but not quite what I was looking for. More interested in a "candied" or maple flavour.
Use the dry brine then, and when the fish are on the smoking racks put more brown sugar on top of them.

Thread starter #7
B

beartooth

Did a little more sleuthing on the "net" and will be taking all your advice about the dry brine. Going to wait a couple of weeks to do it as I'm waiting for a new vacuum sealer. Salmon fishing has been great this year in our area.

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Staff member
Since I've been on the salt "free"(sorta) kick I've done a lot of experimenting with other flavors. Current fav is Maple syrup, costcos salt free seasoning, garlic, pepper and bay leaf...........................OK and MAYBE a "pinch" of salt :encouragement:

Leaseman

Staff member
Dark brown sugar, soya sauce, enough boiling wanter to melt sugar and thin out...... I usually add garlic powder and ground pepper......

I use this for jerky (more pepper and garlic) and like it for salmon...... can use a maple syrup (or something like this) once the brine is done.... with meat my soak time was only an hour +-.....

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Everyone makes candy salmon differently. This is what I do:
Cut Salmon into 1-2 inch wide pieces with slits cut into the flesh to the skin every inch or so.
Place a large bowl in the sink
Take a piece of salmon and hold it over the bowl while applying liberal amounts of course salt. Repeat this until each piece is skin down on top of each other coverd in salt.
Let sit for one hour
Rinse thoroughly, but not to good, its ok to miss a little salt here and there depending on comfort level.
Let salmon air dry
Place Bowl in sink
Repeat process with salmon this time with what ever type of brown sugar you like so all the salmon is skin down and covered in sugar with it worked into the slices,
Refridgerate for as long as desired. Invert container once in awhile while in the sugar brine.
Remove salmon and place on smoker racks on cookie sheets so they drain. Let air dry in a very cool place with a fan and they will glaze over after several hours.
Place in smoker at no more than 100 F. Smoke for 8 hours or as desired with apple. Finish with cherry.
But half way thru you can apply the following basting sauce:
Equal parts honey, brown sugar, maple syrup. Add Screech rum until desired thickness. Baste the fish as desired.
If you like your salmon drier you can turn up the heat. I ike mine moist and I have patience.

There are lots of variations to making candied salmon. The search for the holy grail continues. There was a guy in Langford called Brians sea smoke. He made the beat candied salmon I have ever tasted. MMMMMMMM!

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
Nog,
You must have tryed "D's" Smoked Salmon...... That guy had it down to a science...... We would down the big ziplock bags full of the stuff out on the coast...
I have always tryed to figure it out... He even told me what he did but.....

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
YES!!!!
Dad and i have been tryin to get that right for a while..... Dad likes it the way he smokes his fish now, but D's fish was awesome

irronNoggin id like yo say thanks,i tried your CANDY recipe and it was awesome,i little more work but worth it,i have people trying to buy it off me now
You are Quite Welcome! That one is about the lengthiest (Tuna is however longer) and pricier recipes I've ever come up with. But it consistently Knocks It Out Of The Park each and every time! Trick I've learned is to tell folks I am working that one up.... TWO DAYS after it is vacuum sealed!! :biggrin-new:
Only way to hang onto any for myself it seems...

Cheers,
Nog

Thread starter #23
B

beartooth

An update on the this thread I started. Went out fishing for a couple hours the other day and my son got a 14LB spring. Along with another good sized filet we had in the freezer we smoked it all up. As recommended I used a dry brine, 1 kg of demararra and a cup of canning/kosher salt, glazed every hour with pure Maple syrup and O BOY. It was delicious. I was impressed with the dry brine. Less fuss, less mess, no large containers, even found room in the fridge for the one I used. Thanks to all the advice:applause: I know there is a tray missing in the second picture. I'm not sure what happened to it.:rolleyes: IMG_0526.jpg IMG_0529.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd