Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Smoked cheese??

Thread starter #1

Leaseman

retired mod
So, who has smoked cheese? We did three types on Sunday.....

Reading before hand, cold smoke approx 2-4 hours depending.....

We did roughly two then the heat was getting up a bit!

While cooling, I did a quick internet search and found when people were wrapping the cheese in sahran wrap tightly and letting sit in fridge to cure for 4+ weeks. Anyone do this??

I am going to try and see the results, wasn't too sure about the smoke going deeper by sitting in the fridge??

Thoughts?? Experiences??

Fun to do anyway....sat in the "shooting" gallery while the smoke did its job....a beverage, several dozen shots and the nice smell of a cold smoke!!

Dru

This IS My Life
What kind of cheese did you do and what shape and how heavy?

i was almost thinking of taking a 10$ brick of cheddar to practice with ...

Smokercraft

I've done it a few times. Always smaller sized pieces. And a few different flavours havarti, cheddar, provolone.
Done it in a big chief and it gets to warm though. The cheese gets soft and starts sweating.

As as far as aging in the fridge for 4 weeks..... I've never had the chance it's usually all devoured that day. Delicious.
Maybe I'll try and hide some next time and see how it tastes after a few weeks.

I hope other people have tried and chime in with there suggestions......MG any cheese come out of your smoker?

Thread starter #6

Leaseman

retired mod
With so much going on, it is hidden away now for a bit.....:don't tell anyone:

We did motzerella (sp?), another white one, forgot the name :rolleyes: and a marble!

Cheese did get soft and sweat a bit at the end, but that is normal I am told.... just let it set and cool, wipe of any slight signs of oil..... looked great, smelled great and tasted excellent!!:victorious:

Will try some in a day or two to see if the smoke did go deeper!:popcorn:

rmpearson12

I have cheese in the fridge I smoked over a year ago, it just keeps getting better and better. I smoke 10 lbs of cheddar at a time, the cheaper the better as far as I am concerned. The harder the cheese the longer you need to smoke it for. I use a Bradley smoker with the cold smoke attachment and I usually smoke my cheddar for two hours with a mix of Maple and Apple. Let it rest for a few hours on the counter then vacuum seal it an into the beer fridge with it. I let it sit for at least 4 weeks, when supply starts to get low (less than 4lbs) it is time to smoke more. I also cut the cheese up in 1/2lb blocks.

I use a 2 lb. brick of sharp cheddar from across the border and cut it in half giving me 2 1 lb. pieces. using my Bradley original, I unplug the main element in the back, this keeps the heat down to about 60 degrees. Two hours of smoke and you are done, let it sit and cool. One brick gets used and the other gets put away for later and that is today.

Happy New Year all.
Ed

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
I've done it a few times. Always smaller sized pieces. And a few different flavours havarti, cheddar, provolone.
Done it in a big chief and it gets to warm though. The cheese gets soft and starts sweating.

As as far as aging in the fridge for 4 weeks..... I've never had the chance it's usually all devoured that day. Delicious.
Maybe I'll try and hide some next time and see how it tastes after a few weeks.

I hope other people have tried and chime in with there suggestions......MG any cheese come out of your smoker?
No, we have never tried cheese, I eat enough cheese without having something that good in the fridge :hopelessness:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, I use apple chips. Smoke a couple hours trying to keep the temp below 100F. I don't eat any for a month to allow the smoke to penetrate the cheese. Vacume seal and keep in the fridge.

I use a 2 lb. brick of sharp cheddar from across the border and cut it in half giving me 2 1 lb. pieces. using my Bradley original, I unplug the main element in the back, this keeps the heat down to about 60 degrees. Two hours of smoke and you are done, let it sit and cool. One brick gets used and the other gets put away for later and that is today.

Happy New Year all.
Ed
That is the part I left out, I also use apple chips.

Ed

stevo911

Need A Life
My dad did an experiment earlier in the winter and served us the results at Christmas. 3 different brands of old cheddar, all smoked at the same time/identical process, and. all three blocks tasted completely different.

rmpearson12

My dad did an experiment earlier in the winter and served us the results at Christmas. 3 different brands of old cheddar, all smoked at the same time/identical process, and. all three blocks tasted completely different.
All will take the smoke different, I did up 5 lbs of Tillamook Old cheddar and 5 lbs. of Kraft old cheddar in October, like the taste and texture of the Kraft, the Tillamook has an awesome taste but is much drier than the Kraft. Both smoked at the same time. Used 2 hours of Apple.

Thread starter #18

Leaseman

retired mod
All will take the smoke different, I did up 5 lbs of Tillamook Old cheddar and 5 lbs. of Kraft old cheddar in October, like the taste and texture of the Kraft, the Tillamook has an awesome taste but is much drier than the Kraft. Both smoked at the same time. Used 2 hours of Apple.
So true!

Nice to have the different flavors depending on how dense the cheese is.....I have tried different smoke and leaning towards alder as a favorite! :Oh Yeah!:

stevo911

Need A Life
Exactly, I think cracker barrel old cheddar was the favourite. I was blown away with how different two cheap old cheddars could be for the same process (i expected a little difference)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom