Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Smoked black Alaskan cod....

Thread starter #1

Leaseman

retired mod
I got a hankering for some lately! : :

My Dad always boiled his when cooking, so I followed him..... a treat that I might have once or twice a year.....:kewl:

How do you cook yours? :popcorn:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I've never cooked it myself but my good friend
Tony and I used to go to "The Only Seafood" on east Hastings and though the halibut cheeks were my favourite there I would often get the smoked black alaskan cod. MMmm good stuff to be sure.

Dru

This IS My Life
I used to smoke sablefish myself. Used to get it by the bucketload. They can be a big fish 20 or so lbs. kinda cool looking. And fight pretty had too. You would pick them up sport fishing for halibut as well.

All we we did was a coarse salt and white sugar and water brine then smoke.
Havent had it since then.

black cod = sable fish
you guys can drop the Alaskan! Lol
thats like calling a Chinook a black mouth
black cod or its true name sablefish

Last edited:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
What about the columbia river chinook or stamp river chinook? Are they just king salmon? Alaskan sounds more exotic. Sablefish......patooey. I spit in your general direction.

Dru

This IS My Life
What about the columbia river chinook or stamp river chinook? Are they just king salmon? Alaskan sounds more exotic. Sablefish......patooey. I spit in your general direction.

Columbias are Black mouths..... Stamp is Chinook, and Spring and Smily......Tyee has been abused as a term for a 30+ Chinook..... Tyee's are caught in the Tyee pool in Campbelriver from a row boat with no Riggers and single barbless.... there are more gear restrictions but i cant remember them all..... and you do not get into the "Tyee club" without ding this!!!!

people need to get their Damned Fish straight! lol

Thread starter #11

Leaseman

retired mod
Yes, sablefish....better Dru? :Doh!:

I was told Alaskan because of the area... locally they are bought as sablefish.....was told that by a few old time fishers, commercial guys.

Anyways outside of most of the crap you guys spewed, thanks Chris for actually answering the question!! : : :biggrin-new:

Having a butcher answer a fish mongers question was a waste too!!:Here's To Ya:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom