Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

sausage casings....

Thread starter #1

Dru

This IS My Life
so..... Short version, last weekend i got a pig..... a whole pig,,,, took it home in halves ( thanks to some support staff! )
and into my neighbours cooler..... pig got minimised on sunday....

out of the butchering of said pig i have some pork for mix'n with me moose bye'
i have never done this.... so where does a guy get casings? i have the tools ,,,, i have the recipies...... but i dont Gots Da Casings.....

any body got some tips and tricks? a fav breckfast sausage recipy?
i am going to do pattie sfirst i think just so i can nail the recipy..... all moose is ground and so is the pork..... unless i need more pork lol i got some roasts!

any one care to indulge?

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
You can get the natural casing at the butcher shop. Be sure to soak it in water before using it. They can tell you the specifics about the casing at the butcher shop. We use to mix our spices and meat and then put it in the cooler/fridge for 24 hrs before stuffing the casing. I have No Recipes though......Sorry

Edit;.. Dru, Our meat would be already ground with the spices and water mixed before we put it in the fridge. Then when we took it out we would mix it again and start putting it in the casing.

Last edited:
Thread starter #3

Dru

This IS My Life
the recipies in the instructions of the grinder said that as well.... it wanted the meat cubed,, then add spice, then fridge for 8-24 and then grind...
im sure most of that is for proper spice distribution... which i can do with ground as well... just run it therough with no casings once before i load 'em.

Mark

Last year I was able to get natural casings at my local butcher, not this year. This years' were found in the sporting goods section of the Granview hwy Canadian tire:eek-new: They were cologne *sp and I found them harder to work with. When it comes time for the next batch I will put in more leg work and go with natural again.

- - - Updated - - -

As for a dinner sausage, this is my favorite: http://www.food.com/recipe/south-african-sausage-boerewors-50588
I cooked up some of the moose fat and taste tested it. All was good so I used it as the fat portion.
:Here's To Ya:
Mark

Good pig grits Buddy! Already tried small wink

Casings can be purchased at Hertel's just outside of Port Alberni (just past Fall campground).
Ask directly for a "Hank" and you will have enough for what you want to do now, and for the bear / fall hunts as well. Separate the leftover tubed casings into batch groups (three per), drown in a ziplock & freeze. Will keep for damn near a year that way.

Shoot me a pm any time for recipes. We have a dozen or so that are well proven. :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog

Dru - any meat shoppe that makes sausage should be willing to sell you casing. Either natural casing or Collagen casings. Those little breakfast/pork sausages that a person buys at the grocery stores are made in Collagen casings - usually about 20 or 22 mm in size. The bigger dinner-sized sausages are more like a 35 or 40 mm size casing.

Natural casings - most often from porkers - are the dinner sized casings, which come as 35/38 mm size. The smaller casings (breakfast sausage size) are from Lamb... and they are major expensive, at least twice the price of the pork ones.

Mark

Dru - any meat shoppe that makes sausage should be willing to sell you casing. Either natural casing or Collagen casings. Those little breakfast/pork sausages that a person buys at the grocery stores are made in Collagen casings - usually about 20 or 22 mm in size. The bigger dinner-sized sausages are more like a 35 or 40 mm size casing.

Natural casings - most often from porkers - are the dinner sized casings, which come as 35/38 mm size. The smaller casings (breakfast sausage size) are from Lamb... and they are major expensive, at least twice the price of the pork ones.
Yeah, you would think so...not my experience this year.:grumpy: Could just have been poor customer service but they talked my ear off for about 20 min after refusing.

I know for certain that Carnivore Meats in Brentwood bay (Trafalgar Square) will sell you some Dru.

The artificial ones are a lot easier to use and store - but they are pricey too.

Wes - if they aren't interested in selling you casings and only want you to buy their ready-made products..... well, let's just say that I'd be shopping somewhere else.

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Dru, if you get synthetic casings I know that Red Barn Market sells them at their Vanalman. I think maybe Glenwood Meats sells them as well, I know I picked up some pork fat from them just can't remember if I picked up casings there or not, fairly certain I did though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom