Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Oysters Mexicano

Thread starter #1

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Had a feed of oysters yesterday. One of my favorite ways of cooking them is what I call Oysters Mexicano there are 2 ways to do this BBQ/cook fire or oven. For the BBQ method simply place your oysters on the rack over a slow heat till they open. Add salsa ( I prefer mild or the mango/peach, not cuz I don't like heat but I don't like the salas to over power the oysters) top with tex mex or pepper jack cheez close the lid for about a min (on a cook fire just close the shell back up). Oven method, shuck the oysters, place them in muffin tin(s) put in a 300 degree oven for about 5 min. add the salsa and cheez and broil for a min. or so. Bet you cant eat just 1 :encouragement:

Thread starter #7

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
We are big Fanny Bay fans and that's where we got these, BUT we also have a number of private beaches where we pick them, each producing different size and flavour . Interesting fact- Litterly EVERY oyster in the world is the same they start out from the same "seed". It's the envroment they grow in and what they eat that makes them different in size, flavour and texture.

Shooter

I love clams and mussels done like that - but I just cannot stand/stomach oysters, in any form.

MMMM on the bbq or fire until they pop open, Then take the top shell off and put some hot chilli sauce and some cheese ( I like some Monterey Jack) and cook some more until the cheese is nicely melted... Delicious. But I like small oysters not big huge ones.

Marlin375

Bulls then Bucks
I was spoiled growing up on the Island, my Dad would bring home a tub anytime he past through Fanny Bay. We would always let a couple of raw ones slip down before Mom had them breaded and in the pan.

I can't count how many times I fed my family oysters of the beach while sailing around the straight. There are some secluded beaches were the oyster beds are a foot thick and beach is made entirely of shells. Allways throw your shells back on the bed, the seeds need a piece of shell to start life as a new oyster.
I have a friend that lived on the beach in Union bay and an oyster farm lost one of its suspended nets in a storm that washed up on his beach, 5 years later we were harvesting pails of select BBQ oysters 100ft from the grill.......it just does not get any better, we used a squirt bottle with garlic butter and tabasco or cyan, shell pops open, little squirt in the shell and down the hatch.

I don't eat restaurant oysters or muscles and I won't eat the "fresh" oysters from the grocery store here in the interior...way too far from the ocean to be "fresh" enough for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom