Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

Need Help On Cooking Bear Ham

Thread starter #1

Riverbc

Need A Life
I have a 5 pound bear ham. What would be the best way to prepare this? Slow cooker on low for 5 hours, or....?

Last edited:

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
Did you have it made or did you make it?

I would do oven with a sweet glaze of mustard, brown sugar and cloves. At about 300 untill it hits 175 internal.
But cook it in a pot that you have a lid for so if it starts to crust up too much you can cover it easy.

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Staff member
The best MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Ingredients

1 fully cooked bone-in smoked half ham (7 to 9 pounds), not sliced
2 c. root beer
1 c. light brown sugar
3 tbsp. chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 tbsp. whole cloves
2 tbsp. grainy mustard
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Arrange rack in large roasting pan. With tip of knife, make long cuts from top of ham to bottom, cutting through tough skin. Make second set of cuts perpendicular to first set to form diamond pattern all over ham. Place ham, cut side down, on rack.

2. In medium bowl, whisk root beer, sugar, ginger and cloves. Pour all over ham. Press 1 clove into center of each diamond on surface of ham. Cover with foil. Bake 1 1⁄2 hours.

3. Uncover; bake another 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours or until ham has reached 140°F, basting every 20 minutes. Pour drippings from pan into medium bowl; whisk in mustard and lemon juice. Before slicing ham, remove and discard cloves.

Serve ham with mustard sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd