Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My try at bacon

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
So, I was inspired by Dru's and Matt's info on making up some bacon. Since we were in the USA last weekend, I stopped in at costco and bought a slab of pork belly and some more cheese to smoke up. 10 lbs of pork and 8 lbs of cheese.

The cheese is done smoking and is sealed up and aging in the fridge. I still have two weeks to go on the first batch before I can try a taste of it.

The pork is in the brine and I'm rotating it twice a day and will continue to do so for a week before firing up the smoker.

In the mean time, we got two more geese and I'm thawing out one already breasted out and in the freezer so we can make up another run of spicy goose jerky. This run will be 6 breasts.

I may thaw out another one this evening and do a larger run of 8 breasts.

I'm gonna take some stainless steel welding rod and make skewers so I can hang the strips of goose meat instead of laying them out on the smoker baskets. I'm always looking for new ways to do the job to make it easier.

Pics to follow.

QuesnelTK

Sounds awesome, and the idea for skewers sounds like it will work out great! Can't wait to see the picts. Anything special with the brine or just a standard mix?? Not looking for your secret recipe, just wondering if there is one ...lol

Thread starter #4

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Sounds awesome, and the idea for skewers sounds like it will work out great! Can't wait to see the picts. Anything special with the brine or just a standard mix?? Not looking for your secret recipe, just wondering if there is one ...lol
It's not my recipe it came from Matt. Here is a link to Dru's thread and the recipe is in there. http://bigshotsbc.ca/showthread.php?14778-BACON!!!!&highlight=bacon

Good luck if you try it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm salivating, just thinking about it..... :Oh Yeah!:
Me too Dan. I'm gonna have to try smoking something I can eat right away some time rather than waiting a week or month.

Last edited:

Dru

This IS My Life
phill... use tooth picks and pull the meat through the rack and tooth pic.... ?
yep take pics sir!

if you time it you could do bboth in the smoker at the same time

Thread starter #8

philcott

Mucho Gusto
The pork belly is still brining so to pass the time I whiped up a batch of goose jerky and some cheese. 12 breasts cut up, brine and smoked. Cheese done and sealed for a month.

20161204_073833.jpg

20161127_175208.jpg

20161127_175238.jpg

Thread starter #13

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Looking forward to hearing how you like the bacon Dave. Should smell pretty good at your place by now.

My last batch of goose jerky was a bit less flavourful than the last time. Still good but not damn good.

- - - Updated - - -

That's great Mike. (what) cheese did you start with?

Puled pork might be on the menu that week too. Have to find a recipe to try. Do you do the one in the book?

P

30 packages of cheese done for me now......

New smoker broken in with a dozen hours of smoke! :kewl:

Probably do up some pulled pork between Christmas and New Years!

Last edited:

Steelwheels

The Wanderer
image.jpg

Phil... That can looks familiar .. :HUH?:
Fellow I work with brings back many cases of that Golden Nectar from the Family Farm back in Quebec...
I suppose it's a common container back there.???
It doesn't take long before he's down to just a few cans for his personal use....

Last edited:
Thread starter #15

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I use it sparingly now. Harder to come by and I like to get it from family farms I know. Families I have been buying from for most of my life and my parents bought from their parents.

I use the empty cans for storing stuff too. Reminds me of my roots.

Leaseman

retired mod
Looking forward to hearing how you like the bacon Dave. Should smell pretty good at your place by now.

My last batch of goose jerky was a bit less flavourful than the last time. Still good but not damn good.

- - - Updated - - -

That's great Mike. (what) cheese did you start with?

Puled pork might be on the menu that week too. Have to find a recipe to try. Do you do the one in the book?

P
Marbled....old cheddar and a couple that Denise likes.....

My pork is done usually with Jim Bean smoke and a variation rub of whatever tickles my fancy!

Always starts with French's mustard as a base to stick to, then usually Demeorra (sp?) smoked paprika, garlic, onion....and on and on.....small wink. 3-4 hours in a 180ish smoker then onto the BBQ covered for another 9-12 depending.....

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I completely thought you had made the cheese from scratch to begin with, not smoking storebought. I was wondering why you hadn't made a thread for making cheese :hopelessness:

Thread starter #19

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I completely thought you had made the cheese from scratch to begin with, not smoking storebought. I was wondering why you hadn't made a thread for making cheese :hopelessness:
I do make cheese but not the cheese for smoking. I make my own Mozzarella and paner cheese. The paner is a Lebanese style spreadable cheese. Next summer when my goats milk comes in again I may try smoking some mozzarella.

Thread starter #21

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Do you me in making my own cheese? Cost to me was almost nothing as I was getting my goats milk almost free. Had to labour a bit once in a while.

It's more that it's an interesting thing to do.

I'll try to send you the video's I made on how to make the paner. This is a very easy cheese to make that starts with yogurt.

Thread starter #24

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Well it's done and sampled.

Quite tasty with a maple hickory flavour. I smoked with hickory for 4 hours this go around but would probably smoke for 3 hours next time or use a milder wood.

20161206_212905.jpg

20161206_213537.jpg

20161206_214324.jpg

Thread starter #26

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I went through the book on the ferry right after receiving it. I drove Becky nuts saying, "Oh, look at this....". Quite a few to try in the new year.

Leaseman

retired mod
I went through the book on the ferry right after receiving it. I drove Becky nuts saying, "Oh, look at this....". Quite a few to try in the new year.

Let me know if you try the stuff in the jars....I got doubles, haven't tried it yet, another one of their product!!

Might do more cheese this weekend...with the smoker in the barn, last batch the temp peaked at 74F! :kewl:

Dru

This IS My Life
I like your sizes better Phil!
what did you use to cut it? yours looks like "Bacon slices" mine is more Steak! lol

Thread starter #30

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, I used my buck 105 hunting knife. It was cut warm too.

Mike or Dru. I seem to get a lot of weeping out of the bottom of the smoker in this cold temperature. Is that just the nature of the beast and I should bend up a big drip pan to sit the smoker in?

Dru

This IS My Life
I always have use a drip pan. somewhere I got a cheap pan that fits with 1" all around it of clearance. I use it for all my super fatty meats. Its just cleaner for the smoker. If it is in there from the start it heats up with the smoker.
the weeping I am sure in this case is just the nature of the fat! I have a wired thermometer that sits in my smoker.... it sat at 100-120 Deg +- for the whole time.

Leaseman

retired mod
Dru, I used my buck 105 hunting knife. It was cut warm too.

Mike or Dru. I seem to get a lot of weeping out of the bottom of the smoker in this cold temperature. Is that just the nature of the beast and I should bend up a big drip pan to sit the smoker in?
I had that issue with that one!! I think it is normal....had some condensation with the new one too....anymore smoking and it would have happened!!

The new one has a big drip tray for the bottom....the other one never did, maybe an upgrade for that problem? :popcorn: :confused:

Last edited:
Thread starter #33

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Does the drip tray reside outside the smoker so the leakage doesn't end up on my wife's newly cleaned and soon to be re-cleaned cement door step or inside the unit as Dru mentioned?

Thread starter #35

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Hmm. I do have a tray that sits under the bowl with water to extinguish the used pucks. Is that the try you speak of?

My leakage seems to be sweat from the smoke. It's black and very acrid. I'll make up a tray to go under the feet of the unit that will catch the sweat. It's not a lot but it is messy.

Leaseman

retired mod
Hmm. I do have a tray that sits under the bowl with water to extinguish the used pucks. Is that the try you speak of?

My leakage seems to be sweat from the smoke. It's black and very acrid. I'll make up a tray to go under the feet of the unit that will catch the sweat. It's not a lot but it is messy.
That is the one......didn't remember it in there!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)