Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My tastiest homemade sausages yet.

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I made up some, new to me, sausages last night and Son-of-a-gun they are tasty. I got the recipe from a place called WWW.amazingribs.com and I give all credit to that web site for having it posted there.

This North African sausage recipe so full of flavour I was commenting to myself on how good it was between each mouthful. I suggest all of you who make your own sausage delights give this a try at least once.

I made mine with 3/4 moose ground and 1/4 pork ground. I'm sure with lamb it would be even better but moose and pork are what I have.

Moroccan Lamb Merguez Sausage Recipe

Merguez is a spicy sausage from North Africa whose popularity has spread all over Europe with African immigrants. You'll find it being grilled in Berlin on street corners and in Paris in white tablecloth restaurants. It is usually lamb, but sometimes it is beef or a blend of the two. It is cased in links, served as patties, as meatballs, and often formed into a tube and skewered. Use this recipe for making your very own homemade Moroccan lamb merguez sausage, perfect for grilling up at your next cookout.

Moroccan Lamb Merguez Sausage Recipe

Makes. About 4 pounds
Takes. About 2 hours

Ingredients

3 pounds lamb shoulder

1 pound lamb or beef fat or both

10 cloves (about 5 teaspoons) of garlic, minced or pressed

2 teaspoons whole cumin seed

2 teaspoons whole fennel seed

2 teaspoons coriander

2 tablespoons American paprika

2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon Morton's coarse kosher salt (read more about the science of salt here)

2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

4 ounces chilled water

Optional. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne for a little extra heat, as they like it in Morocco.

Optional. About 8 feet of lamb casings

Method

1) Before making sausage, please familiarize yourself with best practices as described in our article on The Science Of Sausage Making.

2) Slice the meat and fat into cubes removing gristle and sinew. Place it on a plate or pan in the freezer, along with the grinder parts that will contact the meat. Leave it there for about 20 minutes until it is firm but do not let it freeze. This makes grinding easier.

3) Grind it with a 1/4" die. Toast the cumin, fennel, and coriander seeds in a frying pan over a low heat for one or two minutes until fragrant. Allow seeds to cool and then grind them to a powder in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Toss in with the meat. Mix in the water and everything else.

4) Pinch off a small piece of the sausage and cook it in a frying pan let it cool and taste to see if the seasoning is to your taste. Form it into patties, meatballs, skinless tubes, or encase it in lamb casings. You can then grill or smoke it, or store it in the fridge for about 5 days or in the freezer for about a month.

Thread starter #3

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, I have been inspired by others on here to try my hand at different food things to create. Allison, Matt and Mike to name just a few.

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Here's a variation on the Mergues recipe using a bit of Harissa.....

MERGUEZ SAUSAGE

Ingredients;

2 teaspoons whole cumin seed

2 teaspoons whole coriander seed

2 teaspoons whole fennel seed

2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons Kosher salt

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 pounds lamb shoulder, ground once through a medium grinder plate.

2 tablespoons freshly minced garlic (about 6 medium cloves)

1/3 cup harissa

Lamb casings, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes prior to use

1. Place cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

2. Allow to cool to room temperature. Transfer to a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder. Transfer spice mixture to a small bowl and mix in paprika, salt, and cayenne.

3. Place lamb in a large bowl. Add in spice mixture, garlic, and harissa. Mix – either by hand or with a large spatula until well blended.

4. Using paddle attachment of a standing mixer, mix lamb sausage meat on low speed for 1 minute. Add in water and mix until liquid is incorporated and sausage is uniform and sticky, about 1 minute more.

5. Form a small sausage patty; place rest of sausage mixture in refrigerator. Cook patty in a small frying pan over medium-high heat until cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings of sausage if necessary.

6. Stuff sausage into lamb casings and twist into 6-inch links. Refrigerate until ready to cook.

stevo911

Long-Time Member
To follow up dan's post, if you want Harissa, Blair Mart Mediterranean Foods on Pandora (accross from Our Place) is the place to get it in Vic.

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Yes and no. They were out when I was on my mission for it (not idea when they were getting it back in stock). Blair Mart had 4 different sizes of package with a case worth of each. :Maybe:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)