Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My DYI meat curing room and smoker

Thread starter #1

Western Ghost

Built this curing room for my venison/goose/bear/moose sausages and salamies. Built it about 5 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg Curing room

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg My big smoker.

Thread starter #5

Western Ghost

Yes,it is. I try to keep the temp at 55 degrees and the humidity between 70-75%.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Bow Walker,learned at a young age on the farm from our German neighbour who was a farmer and a butcher back in Germany. He taught me everything from killing to gutting/skinnng and processing. Invaluable,that's for sure.

Buck Naked

This post sure got me thinking. I love sausage and peperoni, but am tired of the high prices at the store, especially when looking at high quality line.
Have played with making venison types a couple of times , loose and in casing. and enjoyed that.
But seriously thinking whether to get into the makings with just beef and/or pork.
Not huge quantities, buying family packs or maybe whole round roasts, no need for livestock auction on-the-hoof.......yet )

Anyone ever done the math on making home-made using store bought meat? I know the set-up and equipment and a room like WG's has to be factored in, but if done right they are an asset too.
Lots of youtubers for good info, it looks like a good hobby

??????????

Algorithm

Long-Time Member
Hello Western Ghost,

What kind of square footage does one need to set up a dedicated curing room? Do you have any build details that you would be willing to share?

Good luck with your up coming journey to paradise!

Finaddict

Hope this is not considered a thread hi-jack. If it is, mods please move to its own new thread. I just made some venison sausage for the very first time. really had no idea what I was doing, but after the last venison pepperoni we had made by a local butcher was unsatisfactory, I wanted to try making it myself. So bit the bullet and bought a little 5 lb sausage maker from Cabelas. Since I really had no idea what I was doing, I bought the pre-mixed spice kits

First was the Farmers Sausage was mixed I mixed with ground pork at about a 25% ratio (give or take);

FB_IMG_1496069375825.jpg

Then the pepperoni:

FB_IMG_1496069384465.jpg

Setting up the dry casing was a cinch

FB_IMG_1496069410814.jpg

and the final results (while my "eat-anything-and-everything" retriever looks on in anticipation);

FB_IMG_1496069435839.jpg

FB_IMG_1496069443132.jpg

Smoking was a little more difficult since I only have a Big Chief Smoker and it has to be at least 28 years old and on its last legs (Can't get the right replacement element anymore so I have to use a Walmart hotplate in the bottom. Finally got the smoke results I needed, but the sausage was in the smoker for about 10 hours in order to get the smoke curing I was looking for. After that, an hour at 200 C in the oven just to be safe.

It turned out GREAT! Even my wife and daughter who won't touch venison steaks loved it.
I am now inspired to try more and even just beef and pork.

Last edited:

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Well done Finaddict. :applause:

The finish product looks very good. You can be proud of a job like that.

Looks like a new smoker will be in the works - and not hard to convince she-who-must-be-obeyed about it either..... :Oh Yeah!:

Finaddict

Well done Finaddict. :applause:

The finish product looks very good. You can be proud of a job like that.

Looks like a new smoker will be in the works - and not hard to convince she-who-must-be-obeyed about it either..... :Oh Yeah!:
Thanks BW, it really turned out better than I could have hoped for. Usually learning a thing like takes a session or two to start to make headway, but this was a lot easier than I though. You Tube is definitely my friend:kewl: Yes we have already talked about a VERY early Christmas present.......:good on ya:

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)