Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

My 2017 spring smoked gobbler

Thread starter #1

Western Ghost

Smoked my bird last week and had a few buds over,they brought over some bows to smoke as well. Had a bit of a feast going!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Man o man I sure with I lived closer. That bird looks wonderful.

Any brine? What chips? how long?

I just gotta know so I can try one myself.

Thread starter #3

Western Ghost

Smoke a 20-22 lb bird for 5 hrs,using 2 coke cans full of oak chips,not more than that with the oak chips. Cause they smoke a lot and the bird will suck all that oaky flavour in,won't taste too good after that. A little goes a long way!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg Brine recipe

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg Doin it.

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Thanks for the info WG. I enjoy smoking but have never tried a turkey.

Much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

So at 300 deg you smoked for 5 hours. Was the bird at temperature at 5 hours or did it have to stay in longer to bring it up to 165?

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
We do a smoked gobbler at least once a year, brine for 72 hr in JD and Cranberry juice and water with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and brown sugar. Smoke with cherry at 200 for 5 hrs then remove the smoke and let it go for another 2 hrs. I think Head Lice was in on one of the feasts. Never any left overs.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom