Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

Made some more Candy!

Thread starter #1

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Thanks to a good friend I was able to come by some Salmon for smoking. I did up my usual recipe for candy salmon with my secret sauce.:Oh Yeah!:

I wanted t get it done in time for Christmas and before it got to cold outside.
Stunk up the neighbor hood I did!

Thread starter #3

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
It took me a while to get the temperature adjusted. I don't like a lot of heat but I need some or its just sushi lol. The colder ambient temperature created a few issues but it turned out great. All Vacuum packed and in the freezer. Next year I hope to catch my own fish, lol.

Thread starter #7

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Fireball! I might have to give that a try, Lol. The brine is the usual brown sugar after I apply rock salt for an hour and rinse it off.

The secret is in the coating I put on a couple of times during the smoke. I use apple and cherry wood.

The sauce has things like molasses, rum, Brown sugar, Maple syrup and a big jar of Louise's homemade hot pepper jelly, with some chilly peppers thrown in.:good on ya:

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Fireball! I might have to give that a try, Lol. The brine is the usual brown sugar after I apply rock salt for an hour and rinse it off.

The secret is in the coating I put on a couple of times during the smoke. I use apple and cherry wood.

The sauce has things like molasses, rum, Brown sugar, Maple syrup and a big jar of Louise's homemade hot pepper jelly, with some chilly peppers thrown in.:good on ya:
That sounds delicious!!!! I always buy some homemade hot pepper jelly at our local farmers market....it's good stuff.

Thread starter #10

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Thanks guys. When I lived in Victoria, I would wait until winter to do it so the internal temp doesn't go over 100 F.
Here I couldn't get it hot enough and had to use the oven heater to bring it up. First batch took longer than expected so more smokey than the second batch but warmed up in the micro wave and by itself or other goodies, its a Christmas treat.

Thread starter #12

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Lol, Sorry Mike. Not sure if Canada post would be into mailing fish! Should anyone be heading your way I would be happy to pass along a taste or two!

Rob said he would drop by, but haven't seen him yet! Oh well more for me I guess!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd