Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

IronNoggin!!

Thread starter #1

Leaseman

retired mod
Matt......

I am looking for a recipe posted by a good buddy of yours (actually I think you posted it for him!!) many years ago....back in the FishBC days.....sorry, forgot his name (Dennis??)......he is known for his beach fishing and has written a few articles on it.....

Anyways, it was his recipe for chinese BBQ pork.....

Do you have it? Can you post up again for all to see and drewl over!!??

Thanks
Mike

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
This is the one we use.

2 pork tenderloins 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar

• 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons red food coloring
  • 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder

1. Cut pork with the grain into strips 1 1/2- to 2-inches long; put into a large resealable plastic bag.

1. Stir soy sauce, honey, ketchup, brown sugar, rice wine, hoisin sauce, red food coloring, and Chinese five-spice powder together in a saucepan over medium-low heat; cook and stir until just combined and slightly warm, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the marinade into the bag with the pork, squeeze air from the bag, and seal. Turn bag a few times to coat all pork pieces in marinade.

1. Marinate pork in refrigerator, overnight.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
  3. Remove pork from marinade and shake to remove excess liquid. Discard remaining marinade.
  4. Cook pork on preheated grill for 20 minutes. Put a small container of water onto the grill and continue cooking, turning the pork regularly, until cooked through, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 145 degrees F

Ahh - That would be my Buddy Gil (aka Treblig) you are referring to. An outstanding cook by every means!

Took a little hunting, but here is his recipe as requested:

I have fined tuned the chinese BBQ pork (Char Siu) and is unbelievable

2-3lbs of boneless pork shoulder
hoisin sauce 3/4 cup
soy sauce( lite ) 1/2 cup
table spoon of maltose
1/2 cup of rice wine or sherry.
2 teaspoon of 5 spice

Warm in a steel bowl over stove till all mixes together.
Cut pork with grain about 1.5 to 2 in thick strips . When served you will cut across grain allow the meat to be tenderer
Marinate for 48 hours. I do this in a vacuum bag forcing the marinate into the meat.

Remove strips and place on a rack over a roasting pan filled with water . Pre heat oven at 375 and roast strips for 25 minutes . Once done remove strips and place on a BBQ grill at high and char the out side while coating with this mixture . It will give a gloss and a very intense flavour

Again in a steel bowl on the stove warm the glaze up till the maltose is melted and blended.
1 table spoon of hoisin
1 teaspoon of maltose
1 tablespoon of lite soy sauce
3 table spoon of sherry
and 1/2 a teaspoon of 5 spice

Noticed I only cooked one strip. I am allowing the rest to marinate for another day for deeper intensity of flavours . Also I did not add the red colouring. Left it natural

Here are a couple follow-ups to clarify some of the points in the recipe:

Maltose you will find in a asian food store like fairways . Its a very thick sweetener . So thick you have to warm it up to scoop any out . Its as hard as toffee when cold. You could substitute honey but you would have to experiment . I put the container in a bowl of very hot water and let it sit for a while .

5 spice you can buy also in a asian store already mixed in a bottle but use it sparingly. its very strong. It is often made up with ground cinnamon, cloves, star anise, Sichuan pepper and fennel. Some powder may contain other spices such as coriander seeds, cumin (instead of fennel seeds), black or green cardamom, and even nutmeg. Whatever blend of spices it has, it should be used sparingly as it can be overwhelming in flavor.

Please note I cooked the pork for 25 minutes and it still left a little pink in the middle . That will disappear when you continue to braise it on the BBQ . Don't walk away from the BBQ . Consistently rotate the meat and covering it with the glaze . There will be fat dripping and you will get a flame up . Utilize the flames to get the meat charred . You do not want to over do it.

Apparently a version of the same recipe he posted, using HONEY:

Here is the recipe with honey

2-3lbs of boneless pork shoulder
hoisin sauce 3/4 cup
soy sauce( lite ) 1/2 cup
table spoon of maltose or 3 table spoons of honey
1/2 cup of rice wine or sherry.
2 teaspoon of 5 spice

Warm in a steel bowl over stove till all mixes together only if using maltose. If honey just blend together.
Cut pork with grain about 1.5 to 2 in thick strips . When served you will cut across grain allow the meat to be tenderer
Marinate for 48 hours. I do this in a vacuum bag forcing the marinate into the meat after I tenderize the meat with a large fork so the marinate can penetrate the meat deeper..

Remove strips and place on a rack over a roasting pan filled with water . Pre heat oven at 375 and roast strips for 25 minutes .
Once done remove strips and place on a BBQ grill at high and char the outside while coating with the glazing mixture . It will give a gloss and a very intense flavour . Do not take your attention of the pork . You can over char them .

Glazing mixture:

In a steel bowl on the stove warm the glaze up till the maltose is melted and blended. Again if using honey just mix together.
1 table spoon of hoisin
1 teaspoon of maltose or 2 teaspoon of honey
1 tablespoon of lite soy sauce
3 table spoon of sherry
and 1/2 a teaspoon of 5 spice
..................................................................................................................

Let us know how it turns out for you! Having thoroughly ENJOYED this one prepped by The Man himself, methinks you are in for a Wonderful Experience!! :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Nice! Thanks for posting this, Nog!

Char Siu is also very popular in Japan. That is where I first ate it, and I love it. My wife and kids all love it, too. I'm going to try making my own for sure.

Thread starter #9

Leaseman

retired mod
Thank you Matt!!! :Oh Yeah!:

I copied it a few times when it was on the old site and kept losing it....didn't worry too much as the site was around forever, even when it closed.....

Then I went looking for it and it was gone......:Doh!:

As usual, appreciate the info Matt! :kewl:

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Sounds really good to me Nogg, I am going to have to try it just for a taste comparison you understand lol. :Oh Yeah!:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom