Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do you guys go about freezing your pepperoni?

Thread starter #1

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Just finished vacuum sealing the pepperoni I picked up yesterday at the butchers. I went through a whole roll of the Food Saver cut your own length bags. I'm sure there must be more economical ways to do it but I know these things will last if they have to. But more than likely, they'll probably get eaten up through my winter steelheading and spring fly fishing trips pretty quickly.

Do you guys do the same or do you just put it in zip lock freezer bags or wrap them up in freezer paper or,,,,?

Thread starter #4

mastercaster

This IS My Life
i put mine into a couple big vac bags, when im out i will open the vac bag, take some out and re seal the bag with the sealer.
Do you ever get freezer burn doing it that way, Josh? It does sound like a good way to go,,,,grab a couple of sticks for a snack and not have to worry about taking too many out. I put six or seven 6" pieces in each vacuum sealed bag so there's more in there than I'd want in a day but since they're cured, an opened bag in the fridge would last for several days, I'm sure.

Riverbc

Need A Life
Vacuum seal! There are cheaper products out there than the Food Saver rolls. Never had an issue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaseman

retired mod
A lot of mine is used for gifts, family, friends and some clients......

Therefore vacuum seal 8 (IIRC) pieces all cut/trimmed both ends, laid out flat! : :

Short left overs are vac packed for the kids in bowl sized amounts and thrown in the freezer......most done was 60 pounds and it did not last long......:Doh!:

It is like lox or indian candy.....only way it lasts is if you hide some or some gets "lost" in one of the freezers!! :biggrin-new:

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
If you plan on keeping the product for more than a month or so - vac seal it. It it won't last past Christmas then it's OK to use ziploc bags. Otherwise you run the risk of freezer burn.

Thread starter #9

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Vacuum seal! There are cheaper products out there than the Food Saver rolls. Never had an issue with them.

Just for future reference, Don,,,,what stores carry the product you're referring to?

I do know that the individual pre cut and end sealed bags are quite a bit more expensive than the ones you cut and seal yourself. My machine does a great job of doing that because it has the built in roll holder and cutter. Plus you get quite a bit more for a cheaper price when you do your own. The rolls I have been buying the last ten years are 20' long. I wish they came twice that size.

Dru

This IS My Life
vacuum seal .... EVERYTHING!!!!
it lasts way longer. Forget about the cost,,, it is more money throwing out meat.,,, or worse eating freezer burned meat cuz you just cant toss it....
I have not seen cheaper bags, they might be worth a try for sure... but at the rate dad catches fish and we shoot stuff, vac seal is the only way

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Vaccuum seal (Foodsaver). The boxes of rolls go on sale at Costco every autumn and are a good deal. Easily worth the money for the peace of mind, IMO.

Roasts, steaks, burger, sausage, pepperoni.. everything - vac packed then frozen. As others have said, lasts years like this - but if you don't need it to then maybe there are cheaper ways to do it.

I want my processed meats (sausage, pepperoni, etc.) to last a long time because I think it is truly unhealthy for us to eat 50 or 60 pounds of the stuff in a few months.

Last edited:
Thread starter #13

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I believe one brand is seal a meal, sold at Walmart. There are other brands available on line as well.
http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/30-0011-k.html
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00H9...ealer+roll&dpPl=1&dpID=318HBvEZVAL&ref=plSrch

The roll I just bought at London Drugs last night (8" by 20') was $20 taxes in. It's the 4th one I've bought this fall. I normally go through at least 3-4 rolls per year. Good thing I don't freeze fish anymore.

So,,,,I just checked out the second one that Don has listed here on Amazon.ca (2 rolls of 8" by 50') for $46 shipped, almost half of it was shipping fees. I've always found Amazon.ca a rip off compared to Amazon.com so I checked out the same item on there. I ended up ordering the same listed item for $16.99 USD shipped to my depot in Blaine. That should get me through at least two or more years of vacuum sealing. Hopefully it's the same quality as the Food Saver product..

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
The roll I just bought at London Drugs last night (8" by 20') was $20 taxes in. It's the 4th one I've bought this fall. I normally go through at least 3-4 rolls per year. Good thing I don't freeze fish anymore.

So,,,,I just checked out the second one that Don has listed here on Amazon.ca (2 rolls of 8" by 50') for $46 shipped, almost half of it was shipping fees. I've always found Amazon.ca a rip off compared to Amazon.com so I checked out the same item on there. I ended up ordering the same listed item for $16.99 USD shipped to my depot in Blaine. That should get me through at least two or more years of vacuum sealing. Hopefully it's the same quality as the Food Saver product..
Are you planning on using it with the FoodSaver unit?

If so, you might be in for some disappointment, because I have heard time and time again that bargain bags don't work with the FoodSaver.

Even in the reviews on Amazon.ca --- "Product would not work with the Foodsaver. No vacuum achieved, ever! Unfortunately, a waste of money."

The deal at Costco for the genuine FoodSaver rolls is $38 for two wide rolls (12 inch), two narrow rolls (8 inch), and a bunch of pre-cut sheets.

Last edited:
Thread starter #15

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I guess I'll find out. It says on the advertisement that it works with Food Saver vacuum sealers. Mine is the deluxe model which works a whole lot better than the two cheaper models I had before this last one. Those other Food Saver units I had only lasted 2-3 years. This one has been going strong for the last 4 years and it is used a lot.

I've gotten that Costco deal before ,,,,it is a good price for the Food Saver bags, even though I prefer the narrow 8" bags to the 11".

Edit to add:

I just looked at about 20 reviews on this product being used with Food Saver vacuum sealers and they were all positive,,,,,4.6 rating out of 5

After I pick it up I'll give it a try and pass on my testimonial here.

Last edited:
Thread starter #17

mastercaster

This IS My Life

Today I went and picked up my vacuum sealer rolls and gave the product a go on a couple of pieces of pepperoni I had in the fridge. It worked as advertised in the Food saver and gave a nice tight seal so I'm giving it a two thumbs up. :Oh Yeah!::Oh Yeah!:

As long as it last a year or more I'll be happy. It's definitely a good buy. You get 5 time as much as one roll from London Drugs for about the same price.

Last edited:

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
You lucked in! This is the first positive report I have heard of someone using non-FoodSaver brand bags in their FoodSaver unit.

Which FoodSaver model do you have?

Thread starter #20

mastercaster

This IS My Life
You lucked in! This is the first positive report I have heard of someone using non-FoodSaver brand bags in their FoodSaver unit.

Which FoodSaver model do you have?
This one,,,,can't find the model number on it:

The bagging product I got was 4mm thick, 8" wide and 50' long. The 2 rolls were $16.99 USD shipped. After I went down to Blaine and filled up my truck with gas, the money I saved there more than paid for the rolls. :Oh Yeah!:

I did see 20+ positive reviews on it before buying the Food-Pac Vacs.

Last edited:

BBBnRams

I get my stuff from Stuffers in Langley on Fraser Hwy. behind Britco Pork around 229th.

decent prices various sizes, lots of spices, sausage mixes, equipment. Great Place Give ER a whirl.

BBBnR

Thread starter #22

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I get my stuff from Stuffers in Langley on Fraser Hwy. behind Britco Pork around 229th.

decent prices various sizes, lots of spices, sausage mixes, equipment. Great Place Give ER a whirl.

BBBnR
I buy my packets of Hot Italian spices for my Hot Italian grouse sausages there but if you want them to taste better add a full tbsp. of crushed red chilli pepper to the mix because the mix they sells it is far too tame. Adding the extra crushed red pepper gives it about the same zip as what you'll find in the big name stores.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)