Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Honey Garlic Jerky recipe plans -input?

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Need A Life
I've found a jerky recipe that interested me, but since I'm mixing it in with ground I'm concerned about putting too much liquid in (as well as since 100% of it is going on the meat I think it would end up a bit strong and inedible).

Since originally it's a marinade vs being mixed right in I'd appreciate your input on a starting point. I was thinking I'd start with 1/2 pound batches and adjust accordingly.

Original recipe on the left, what I'm thinking I should use on the right (in brackets)
5 pounds ground venison
1/2 cup honey (3 tbsp)
6 cloves of garlic (2.5 tsp garlic powder seems reasonable)
2 inch chunk of fresh ginger, peeled & chopped (1.5 tsp)
1/4c canning salt (5 tsp)
1/2c water (omit this)
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (1/4tsp)
1/8tsp ground cloves (1/16 tsp)

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Im not a professional at this, however I do recall a few recipes calling for water, for whatever reason. I think it has to do with keeping the meat moist. I could be wrong however. This recipe sounds pretty dang good however!

Thread starter #3

stevo911

Need A Life
My understanding (i could be wrong) is that when using the jerky guns/ground if you put too much liquid in it squeezes out too easily/doesn't get squished together so it ends up crumbling like crazy. (supposedly honey can help it hold together though?)

Just a thought from all the sausage that I've made over the years....

It is way, way better by far to use fresh garlic and/or ginger than it is to use dried, granulated, or powdered stuff. Seriously.

If you are concerned about the heaviness of the garlic I would suggest you take a bulb (or full head) of garlic and roast it before using it in your recipe. Roasted garlic is a lot milder and somewhat sweeter that raw garlic.

Here is a pic of how to cut the garlic bulb in preparation for roasting. Brush the cut end with a bit of olive oil and (you could) use a fresh sprig of rosemary or fresh sage, or fresh oregano to top the bulbs as they roast.

photo-103.jpg

When they get nicely browned and soft - they're ready to come out of the oven.

Cool them right down before using.

images.jpg

Fresh Ginger?

It's relatively inexpensive and you can break off as much or as little as you need from the bigger pieces (hands).

Peel a piece and grate a bit into the recipe.

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

stevo911

Need A Life
I mostly went with granulated on both of those because I could find what quantities are generally used in ground jerky. Fresh I could only really find in marinades, so if 100% of it is going directly into the meat I have no idea how much to actually use, lol. (plus I have both of those in the spice cupboard, so it's no big loss to use some of them)

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
I think honey will just add to the thickness but just try adding say half a cup of cold water or even a quarter of a cup and see how easily it comes out of the gun....yesterday we made sausages and one of them called for 32 ounces of water for 20 pounds and the other called for 12 ounces for 30 pounds.....go figure!

Thread starter #10

stevo911

Need A Life
Last edited:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I made goose jerky on the weekend and the flavours were not a prominent as I normally like. Hopefully I can adjust for the next run.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom