Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

home maple syrup

robinhood

Cool, where did you get the taps from ? Never lived back east so I've never tried it -- looks interesting though.

Heyblast

How did you boil the sap down and any idea of the ratio of sap to syrup. Back east its around 40 to 1 and I use to boil it down on the barbeque, many a night up till two o'clock waiting for it to finish.

NAHMINT

living life in paradise.
I worked after school and on weekends for the LALONDES.......the old justice minister in the ''other trudeaus'' cabinet.
we collected the sap with horses and giant wooden barrel on a sleigh........
we boiled and boiled......on weekends les tourists came for slabs of fried ham with syrup and then syrup taffy on snow.......always lots of CARIBOU
( that's red wine and alcohol mixed) real good UNTIL YOU CAME INSIDE then you just sort of fell down or went to sleep

the LALONDES had a big farm and great goose shooting in their stubble fields.......just a couple 100 yards from big LAC ST.LOUIS.

wideopenthrottle

ahh the ole brix scale...IIRC broad leaf maple has less than 1/4 as much sugar in the sap as Sugar maple... so 4 times as much sap to get the same vol of syrup with the same sugar content/sweetness

Thread starter #9

sealevel

Long-Time Member
ahh the ole brix scale...IIRC broad leaf maple has less than 1/4 as much sugar in the sap as Sugar maple... so 4 times as much sap to get the same vol of syrup with the same sugar content/sweetness
160 --1 might be closer to the right figger i know we got 3 pints and could have stood more reducing....no really worth it but ..could have bought it cheaper .money isn`t always everything

wideopenthrottle

sounds about right...I think sugar maple was about 40 :1 (40 gal sap to make one gal of syrup) at about 4 degrees brix so bigleaf maple (at about 1 degree brix) would take 160 gals sap to make one gal syrup....

...sorry...I was just going by memory...i'll try to refresh the noodle with some googling...heheheh

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom