Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

Goose Jerky

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'm gonna put my little chief back to work. I might have to call my oven into service to get the internal temp of the meat up to 160 but the smoking will be in the LC. Now here is where a Bradley would come in handy.

I acquired 7 nice goose breasts that I'm gonna do my best at turning into some sweet and spicy jerky.

As I progress I'll bring you along for the ride.

Thread starter #6

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Here is the start.

Trimming the breasts.

20160914_145354.jpg

1/4 inch slices

20160914_145412.jpg

In the spicy marinade. Crushed peppers, crushed black pepper, brown sugar, coarse salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire, chili and garlic powders and water.

20160914_154119.jpg

I started with 4 lbs of goose. I'm guessing it'll end up about 1 lb of jerky.

Bow Walker

ALWAYS LOOKING - ALWAYS DIGGING
I'm going to guess that you felt around for any pellets?

Good - I knew you didn't just fall off the turnip truck... small wink

I think they will make for some mighty fine chewing during the times when you are hunting the farm Phil. :Oh Yeah!:

Thread starter #10

philcott

Mucho Gusto
The smoking went well and the jerky then went into the oven for a couple hours at 170. It's now in the dehydrator. I had a little taste and I believe it'll be one of the gotta keep recipes. Can you smell the smokey aroma?

20160915_194957.jpg

KTownKiller

This IS My Life
I wish! Awesome! :Oh Yeah!: Can you ship some with the BSBC Courier Service? Problem is, it wouldn't make it all the way here! :Doh!:

Last edited:
Thread starter #13

philcott

Mucho Gusto
So the house smelled like hickory all ecening and into the night. The dehydrator hummed until 3:00am with me getting up and checking it out at midnight and 3 when it was dried to perfrction.

I pronounce this recipe a winner. I made one modification from the recipe in that it called for 3 tablespoons of coarse crushed black pepper and I only put in one. With the two tablespoons of crushed red peppers and the oneof crushed black the jerky is hot enough for my liking.

Below is the final product.

20160916_054004.jpg

20160916_054105.jpg

Thread starter #15

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I got so excited I forgot to weigh it. Not too much has been sampled yet so I try and remember to weight it when I get home.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd