Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Goose cleaning question

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dale, Jim KTown or any other goose cleaners,

I normally breast out the geese I get but I decided to pluck the one I got today and try a roast.

my question is I believe gizzard related. Just inside the body where the neck goes in there zeems to be a fairly hard bit of meat/muscle?? Is that the gizzard? Do I simply cut around it to remove it?

thanks.

now a good way to prepare the goose for roasting would be appreciated. Also is insole best to leave insole the fridge to age for age bit or is there some other prep that insodetsmthere should do?

thanks once more.

Phil - if it's the gizzard that's up on the throat area, just stick your fingers in there, grip it as tight as you can, and then just rip it out.

On the other hand - it could be the trachea tube that has been left in there. If so, rip it right out of there.

As to your other question about roasting method.... I'd suggest a longer, slower method so that it will come out tender at the end. Lift the cover off about 20 minuites before you remove it from the oven so that the skin gets nice and crispy.

What the heck is the following?? :Shrug:

Also is insole best to leave insole the fridge to age for age bit or is there some other prep that insodetsmthere should do?

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
Phil, the gizzard will come out with the innards on your first pull, then the heart & liver will come after that. Up front you will have the crop and the trachea be sure to get all of the out. There are no big pieces of muscle meat in the front of the birds cavity.

As for the roasting part all I can say is roast it breast side down.....The cooking wasn't my dept

KTownKiller

This IS My Life
Drag it behind your truck a few blocks to tenderize it! You're a brave man trying one of those roasted! Have a backup plan, trust me! :highly_amused:

Seriously though, I remember doing some snow geese years ago. Roasted, stuffed and all the trim'ns! I remember wishing I could throw the meat out, and just use the bones for the great soup they made!

Maybe we went about it all wrong, but the pepperoni is way better. But maybe you'll have better luck. Go for it, just have a backup plan. Like some nice Bambi tenderloins! :good on ya:

I'd like to hear how it turns out though. And I'll try not to laugh too loud! small wink Sorry, there I go again! :hopelessness:

Was it a nice young one? That sure helps.

Last edited:

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
Drag it behind your truck a few blocks to tenderize it! You're a brave man trying one of those roasted! Have a backup plan, trust me! :highly_amused:

Seriously though, I remember doing some snow geese years ago. Roasted, stuffed and all the trim'ns! I remember wishing I could throw the meat out, and just use the bones for the great soup they made!

Maybe we went about it all wrong, but the pepperoni is way better. But maybe you'll have better luck. Go for it, just have a backup plan. Like some nice Bambi tenderloins! :good on ya:

I'd like to hear how it turns out though. And I'll try not to laugh too loud! small wink Sorry, there I go again! :hopelessness:

Was it a nice young one? That sure helps.

:ROFL:......The main thing is Don't Overcook it......But like Nolan said pepperoni is good and myself I like Goose Jerky..

KTownKiller

This IS My Life
Save the bones though, Phil. For some strange reason, they do really make awesome tasting soup broth! :victorious: Then you can throw the meat into the soup to make it edible! Or you could get a pair of boots made with it! :highly_amused:

Where's Jim and Dale!? Now they'll come on and say how they make even old ganders into awesome, roasted beasts! How they brine 'em in home brewed firewater, or some other beverage, and they just fall apart in the flap'n hole in your face before slip'n effortlessly down to the pit in your abyss!

Come on, guys, give us the low down! :popcorn:

Last edited:

sealevel

Long-Time Member
i am the oppossite i like an roasted goose and dislike the peperoni. roost it slow on a rack....just don`t over cook it....way nicer if you can get someone else to pluck it for you .

Last edited:

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
Where's Jim and Dale!? Now they'll come on and say how they make even old ganders into awesome, roasted beasts! How they brine 'em in home brewed firewater, or some other beverage, and they just fall apart in the flap'n hole in your face before slip'n effortlessly down to the pit in your abyss!

Come on, guys, give us the low down! :popcorn:

I know that Jim doesn't mind a Roasted Goose but I am not sure about Dale......:not sure:

Jim may have a hidden recipe somewhere......

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Brine in Jack, Cranberry juice, pumpkin pie spice, garlic and brown sugar for 48 hrs. Stuff with apples, bacon and onionsSmoke for 4 hrs with mild fruitwood smoke. Finish in the oven for another 3-5 hrs depending on the size of the bird. Uncover for the last 45 min. MMMMMMM

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom